Normal view

Ipoh junction now rocking ‘light saber’ traffic lights, drivers say it’s way safer (VIDEO)

15 May 2026 at 23:00

Malay Mail

IPOH, May 16 —  A striking new “light saber” traffic light system has appeared near Enclave Residences along Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, following a spate of accidents allegedly linked to poor visibility at the junction. 

This new system, said Perak Infrastructure, Energy, Water and Public Transport Committee chairman Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin, was introduced to improve safety and ease traffic flow.

Mohammad Nizar said the illuminated traffic light system, the first of its kind to be installed in Ipoh and the Kinta district, complies with existing traffic light specifications and standards.

“Taking into account complaints received regarding accidents allegedly caused by the lack of visibility of the existing traffic light system, the Public Works Department (JKR) introduced an innovative initiative by installing the ‘light saber’ style traffic light pole.

“The traffic light complies with standard operating procedures under the Technical Instruction (Road) documents, as well as JKR’s technical specifications,” he told Malay Mail when contacted.

Mohammad Nizar said the traffic light is under the supervision of the Perak JKR Electrical Department and was introduced to improve visibility and help motorists anticipate signal changes from a safer distance, while easing traffic flow.

Addressing reports that some road users had expressed confusion over the signals displayed, Nizar said the system is purely an innovation and should not cause confusion or uncertainty.

However, he added that JKR would still implement improvements by installing a four-metre-high vertical traffic light at the left “free flow” lane to provide clearer guidance and reduce confusion.

The current traffic light, more visible from a distance, and brighter during rain or at night. — Picture by John Bunyan
The current traffic light, more visible from a distance, and brighter during rain or at night. — Picture by John Bunyan

Meanwhile, 35-year-old Shelly Ng, who frequently travels along the route, said she was initially confused when she first encountered the new traffic light system.

“The confusion was because it looked different from the usual traffic lights. I hesitated a little when approaching the junction, but since other vehicles were moving, I just followed the flow.

“However, after using the road daily, you eventually get used to it. It’s not really an issue,” she said.

Idham Amin, 37, a restaurant employee in Taman Cempaka here, said the current traffic light system is much safer compared to the previous one.

“Previously, the traffic light was partially blocked by trees along the road, and if you were not paying close attention, you might miss the signal changing. I almost got into an accident once after failing to notice the traffic light.

“The current one is bigger and much more visible since the entire traffic light pole is illuminated,” said Idham, who added that several accidents had occurred at the junction in the past.

Similarly, Faidhi Mohd, 20, a kitchen staff member who commutes along the road daily for work, said he had previously noticed several accidents occurring at the traffic light junction.

“Most of the time, I would notice vehicle debris and even shoes scattered near the junction, which I believe were left behind after accidents,” he said.

Faidhi also pointed out that the current traffic light is more visible from a distance, brighter during rainy weather and at night, and could also benefit motorists with poor eyesight or short-sightedness.

Meanwhile, Nadzmi Azizul, 32, a printing shop employee who uses the junction daily to send his children to school, said he did not face any difficulties understanding the new traffic light system.

“The traffic light colours and directional signals are still the same, even though it is now much bigger, so I don’t see any issue with it,” he said.

Nadzmi added that authorities should consider installing more traffic lights of this kind at accident-prone junctions around Ipoh, as the new system is larger and more visible than conventional traffic lights.

Another road user, who only wanted to be identified as Subramaniam, 43, said it was the first time he had seen such a traffic light, but found it easy to understand.

“The traffic light is much clearer now. It offers better visibility compared to the previous one.

“I just hope the authorities will carry out regular inspections and maintenance to avoid disruptions to traffic flow, as the road can become very busy during peak hours,” he added.

Education Ministry fills 50 school leadership posts, says vacancies will be addressed promptly

15 May 2026 at 10:21

Malay Mail

IPOH, May 15 — The Ministry of Education has filled 50 vacant posts for headmasters and principals nationwide as part of efforts to strengthen school leadership and ensure smooth school administration.

Its Minister, Fadhlina Sidek, said the ministry views the issue seriously, stressing that schools cannot function effectively without strong leadership.

She said strong leadership is crucial in implementing school reforms, ensuring safety, and managing daily school operations.

“Schools would not be able to build a proper ecosystem without strong leadership, making it crucial for the ministry to take swift action in filling vacant positions.

“Therefore, the ministry takes this matter seriously and has taken immediate steps to fill these vacancies so that issues, including safety concerns and others, can be addressed promptly,” she said.

She said this at a press conference after attending the 55th national-level Teachers’ Day Awards ceremony held at the Kinta Riverfront Hotel here.

She said the appointments involved schools in every state and took effect immediately.

“Today, we have completed the appointments of headmasters and principals for schools in every state. These appointments take effect starting today, meaning they can continue with their administrative duties at their respective schools,” she said.

Fadhlina said that while about 50 posts were initially vacant, the ministry would continue to monitor the situation and fill any remaining gaps promptly.

“There are still vacancies, and we will ensure they are filled from time to time as quickly as possible,” she said.

She also said that the ministry had instructed senior officials to urgently review and resolve the matter, describing it as a priority requiring immediate attention.

“Therefore, I have asked the ministry’s director-general and chief secretary to review our commitment to resolving these issues quickly,” she said.

❌
Subscriptions