Normal view

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Trump has ‘alienated’ voters ahead of midterms, Thomas Massie warns after primary loss José Olivares
    Ousted Republican congressman says his party is facing ‘Trump disappointment syndrome’ over president’s agendaDonald Trump’s Republican party is on course for a damaging rejection at the ballot box in November, according to a maverick US congressman ousted by a challenger handpicked by the president.Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky, became the latest of Trump’s targets to be defeated in the party’s primaries this week. He had repeatedly broken with the president over military action aga
     

Trump has ‘alienated’ voters ahead of midterms, Thomas Massie warns after primary loss

24 May 2026 at 16:49

Ousted Republican congressman says his party is facing ‘Trump disappointment syndrome’ over president’s agenda

Donald Trump’s Republican party is on course for a damaging rejection at the ballot box in November, according to a maverick US congressman ousted by a challenger handpicked by the president.

Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky, became the latest of Trump’s targets to be defeated in the party’s primaries this week. He had repeatedly broken with the president over military action against Iran, government spending and the release of the Jeffrey Epstein files.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Jon Cherry/Getty Images

© Photograph: Jon Cherry/Getty Images

© Photograph: Jon Cherry/Getty Images

Middle East crisis live: Trump says blockade on Iran will remain in ‘full force’ until deal is reached

The US president’s remarks come after he said on Saturday that a peace deal with Iran was ‘largely negotiated’

In Lebanon, the civil defence agency said early on Sunday its regional facility in the southern city of Nabatieh had been destroyed by an Israeli strike.

The Directorate General of Civil Defence said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment had been damaged by a “direct hit in a hostile Israeli strike”.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images

Trump claims peace deal with Iran ‘largely negotiated’ with strait of Hormuz to open

President’s claim is tempered by Pakistani PM’s hopes of hosting more talks ‘very soon’, and Iran’s Fars news agency saying strait of Hormuz will remain under Iranian control

Donald Trump claimed on Saturday that a peace deal with Iran “has been largely negotiated”, after calls with a Pakistani mediator, Gulf allies and Israel, potentially paving the way for an end to the war launched by the US and Israel in February.

Trump wrote on his social media platform that “final aspects and details” of a “memorandum of understanding” were still being discussed and “will be announced shortly”, but said the strait of Hormuz would be opened as part of the deal.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Iranian Presidential Office Handout/EPA

© Photograph: Iranian Presidential Office Handout/EPA

© Photograph: Iranian Presidential Office Handout/EPA

Trump to meet with US negotiators to decide on Iran’s ceasefire proposal

US president says it’s a ‘solid 50/50’ on either making a ‘good’ deal with Iran or striking the country anew

Donald Trump said he would meet today with American negotiators to review Iran’s latest proposal and decide by Sunday whether he will strike Iran “to kingdom come”.

The US secretary of state, Marco Rubio, also told reporters in India on Saturday that “there may be news later today” about Iran. He did not specify what that news would be.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Iranian Parliament Speaker Office/WANA/Reuters

© Photograph: Iranian Parliament Speaker Office/WANA/Reuters

© Photograph: Iranian Parliament Speaker Office/WANA/Reuters

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Stephen Colbert hosts Michigan public access show day after last appearance on Late Show José Olivares
    Guests on Only in Monroe included Jack White and Jeff Daniels, with appearances by Steve Buscemi and EminemAfter his last appearance on CBS as host of The Late Show, Stephen Colbert continued his television hosting duties – on a public access show in Michigan.Colbert on Friday night hosted Only in Monroe in Monroe, Michigan, just one day after signing off from The Late Show. Colbert had been the host of The Late Show since 2015 and his tenure came to an end this week after CBS canceled the 33-ye
     

Stephen Colbert hosts Michigan public access show day after last appearance on Late Show

23 May 2026 at 15:28

Guests on Only in Monroe included Jack White and Jeff Daniels, with appearances by Steve Buscemi and Eminem

After his last appearance on CBS as host of The Late Show, Stephen Colbert continued his television hosting duties – on a public access show in Michigan.

Colbert on Friday night hosted Only in Monroe in Monroe, Michigan, just one day after signing off from The Late Show. Colbert had been the host of The Late Show since 2015 and his tenure came to an end this week after CBS canceled the 33-year-old network staple, due to a “financial decision” by CBS’s parent company, Paramount.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Monroe Community Media

© Photograph: Monroe Community Media

© Photograph: Monroe Community Media

US green card applicants will now have to return to home countries to apply, DHS says

Change criticized by advocates marks the latest significant move by the Trump administration on immigration policy

Foreigners seeking to adjust their immigration status in the United States to secure green cards will have to do so from outside the country via the state department, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said on Friday, in a move criticized by aid groups, policy analysts and immigration attorneys.

USCIS announced the move in a policy memo, which directed officers to consider relevant factors and information on a case-by-case basis when determining whether extraordinary relief is warranted.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Wilfredo Lee/AP

© Photograph: Wilfredo Lee/AP

© Photograph: Wilfredo Lee/AP

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • US judge dismisses criminal indictment against Kilmar Ábrego García José Olivares and agencies
    Judge said Trump administration would not have prosecuted Ábrego had he not challenged his high-profile deportationSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailA US judge dismissed a criminal indictment against Kilmar Ábrego García on Friday, finding that the Trump administration would not have prosecuted him had he not challenged his high-profile deportation.Ábrego, who had entered the United States without authorization in the past, became a symbol of the Trump administration’s drive for m
     

US judge dismisses criminal indictment against Kilmar Ábrego García

Judge said Trump administration would not have prosecuted Ábrego had he not challenged his high-profile deportation

A US judge dismissed a criminal indictment against Kilmar Ábrego García on Friday, finding that the Trump administration would not have prosecuted him had he not challenged his high-profile deportation.

Ábrego, who had entered the United States without authorization in the past, became a symbol of the Trump administration’s drive for mass deportations when he was sent to the notorious anti-terrorism mega-prison in El Salvador known as Cecot in March 2025.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

© Photograph: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

© Photograph: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • One of shooters in deadly attack at San Diego mosque was previously flagged by FBI José Olivares
    Officials seized guns from Caleb Vazquez’s father last year amid alarm over teen’s views on mass shooters and NazismOne of the two white supremacist shooters who attacked a mosque in California on Monday and killed three people had already been on law enforcement officials’ radar, according to US media reports.Local officials were so alarmed by Caleb Vazquez’s idolization of mass shooters and Nazism that they seized his father’s guns a year before the shooting, the New York Times reports. Simila
     

One of shooters in deadly attack at San Diego mosque was previously flagged by FBI

22 May 2026 at 16:45

Officials seized guns from Caleb Vazquez’s father last year amid alarm over teen’s views on mass shooters and Nazism

One of the two white supremacist shooters who attacked a mosque in California on Monday and killed three people had already been on law enforcement officials’ radar, according to US media reports.

Local officials were so alarmed by Caleb Vazquez’s idolization of mass shooters and Nazism that they seized his father’s guns a year before the shooting, the New York Times reports. Similarly, Bloomberg reports that Vazquez had already been flagged by the FBI as a “potential threat” last year.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Zoe Meyers/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Zoe Meyers/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Zoe Meyers/AFP/Getty Images

❌
Subscriptions