Normal view

US justice department ‘forever’ bars IRS from auditing Trump’s past tax returns

Addendum quietly slipped into widely criticized agreement creating a $1.7bn fund to compensate president’s allies

The justice department quietly added a provision barring the IRS from auditing Donald Trump’s tax returns on Tuesday, amending a widely criticized agreement that creates a secretive and loosely controlled $1.776bn fund to compensate allies of the president.

The addendum, signed by Todd Blanche, the acting attorney general, says the government is “forever barred” and “precluded” from examining the tax returns of Trump, his family, company and “related companies”. The agreement applies to anything filed before the agreement was reached. It was posted on the justice department website on Tuesday morning, a day after the department announced creation of the fund.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Bloomberg/Getty Images

© Photograph: Bloomberg/Getty Images

© Photograph: Bloomberg/Getty Images

Trump dismisses $10bn suit against IRS and creates $1.7bn ‘anti-weaponization’ fund

Democrats criticize deal as a slush fund that ‘funnels taxpayer dollars’ to president’s political allies

The justice department announced on Monday it was creating a loosely controlled and secretive $1.776bn fund to compensate Donald Trump allies as part of an agreement in which Trump and his sons dropped a $10bn longshot lawsuit against the IRS.

The money, which critics said was essentially a slush fund, will be overseen by five commissioners – four of whom would be appointed by the attorney general and removable by Trump – who would oversee the body’s work. A fifth commissioner will be appointed “in consultation” with congressional leadership. The fund also has the power to issue “formal apologies” and will send a quarterly confidential report to the US attorney general outlining who has been paid from the fund. There is no requirement that the fund’s work be made public.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Alex Wong/Getty Images

© Photograph: Alex Wong/Getty Images

© Photograph: Alex Wong/Getty Images

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Colorado governor commutes sentence of election denier Tina Peters Sam Levine in New York
    Former election clerk who allowed unauthorized access to voting systems was convicted and sentenced to nine yearsUS politics – live updatesSign up for the Breaking News US emailThe Colorado governor, Jared Polis, commuted the nearly nine-year prison sentence of a former Colorado clerk who allowed unauthorized people to access her county’s voting systems in a case that had been an intense focus of Donald Trump and other allies who sought to overturn the 2020 election.Tina Peters, who is currently
     

Colorado governor commutes sentence of election denier Tina Peters

Former election clerk who allowed unauthorized access to voting systems was convicted and sentenced to nine years

The Colorado governor, Jared Polis, commuted the nearly nine-year prison sentence of a former Colorado clerk who allowed unauthorized people to access her county’s voting systems in a case that had been an intense focus of Donald Trump and other allies who sought to overturn the 2020 election.

Tina Peters, who is currently incarcerated, will be released on parole on 1 June after Polis reduced her sentence from eight and a half years in prison to about four and a half. “This is an extremely unusual and lengthy sentence for a first time offender who committed non-violent crimes,” Polis wrote in a clemency letter to Peters.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: McKenzie Lange/AP

© Photograph: McKenzie Lange/AP

© Photograph: McKenzie Lange/AP

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Southern Poverty Law Center pleads not guilty in federal fraud case Sam Levine in New York
    Prosecutors allege SPLC funneled over $3m to sources in extremist groups but legal experts say case is weakSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailThe Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) pleaded not guilty on Thursday to charges related to allegations the organization committed fraud and conspired to money launder.The 11-count indictment filed last month accuses the civil rights organization of committing fraud in connection to a program in which it paid informants to monitor rightwing e
     

Southern Poverty Law Center pleads not guilty in federal fraud case

Prosecutors allege SPLC funneled over $3m to sources in extremist groups but legal experts say case is weak

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) pleaded not guilty on Thursday to charges related to allegations the organization committed fraud and conspired to money launder.

The 11-count indictment filed last month accuses the civil rights organization of committing fraud in connection to a program in which it paid informants to monitor rightwing extremist groups. The program no longer exists. The investigation is being handled by the US attorney for the middle district of Alabama, which includes Montgomery, the state capital.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Barry Lewis/In Pictures/Getty Images

© Photograph: Barry Lewis/In Pictures/Getty Images

© Photograph: Barry Lewis/In Pictures/Getty Images

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • The White House power play post-dinner shooting: do what we say or else Sam Levine in New York
    After correspondents’ dinner shooting, administration has rushed to capitalize in pursuit of its political goalsLess than 72 hours after a man was arrested for trying to assassinate Donald Trump at the White House, the justice department rushed to court to make an extraordinary filing.The subject of the emergency was a lawsuit by the National Trust for Historic Preservation seeking to halt the construction of a new White House ballroom. A federal judge ruled earlier this month that construction
     

The White House power play post-dinner shooting: do what we say or else

After correspondents’ dinner shooting, administration has rushed to capitalize in pursuit of its political goals

Less than 72 hours after a man was arrested for trying to assassinate Donald Trump at the White House, the justice department rushed to court to make an extraordinary filing.

The subject of the emergency was a lawsuit by the National Trust for Historic Preservation seeking to halt the construction of a new White House ballroom. A federal judge ruled earlier this month that construction had to stop, though an appeals court later paused that ruling.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images

© Photograph: Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images

© Photograph: Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Justice department files new criminal charges against ex-FBI director Comey Sam Levine in New York
    Subject of charges remains unclear, after earlier case over congressional testimony was dismissedUS politics live – latest updatesSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailThe justice department filed new criminal charges against James Comey, the former FBI director, on Tuesday, according to a person familiar with the matter.Comey was charged over a picture he posted on Instagram last year in which sea shells were arranged to say “86 47”, CNN and the Associated Press reported. The post wa
     

Justice department files new criminal charges against ex-FBI director Comey

Subject of charges remains unclear, after earlier case over congressional testimony was dismissed

The justice department filed new criminal charges against James Comey, the former FBI director, on Tuesday, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Comey was charged over a picture he posted on Instagram last year in which sea shells were arranged to say “86 47”, CNN and the Associated Press reported. The post was taken as a threat to Donald Trump. The number 86 can be used as shorthand for getting rid of something, and Trump is the 47th president. Comey subsequently deleted the post and apologized, saying he didn’t realize the numbers were associated with violence. “It never occurred to me, but I oppose violence of any kind so I took the post down,” he wrote on Instagram.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Southern Poverty Law Center indicted on federal fraud charges Sam Levine in New York and Lauren Gambino
    Todd Blanche announces 11-count indictment over payments to informants in extremist groups including Ku Klux KlanSign up for the Breaking News US email to get newsletter alerts in your inboxThe Southern Poverty Law Center, the prominent civil rights organization, has been indicted on federal fraud charges related to past payments it made to confidential informants to infiltrate extremist groups including the Ku Klux Klan, the justice department has announced.In a statement, Bryan Fair, the SPLC’
     

Southern Poverty Law Center indicted on federal fraud charges

Todd Blanche announces 11-count indictment over payments to informants in extremist groups including Ku Klux Klan

The Southern Poverty Law Center, the prominent civil rights organization, has been indicted on federal fraud charges related to past payments it made to confidential informants to infiltrate extremist groups including the Ku Klux Klan, the justice department has announced.

In a statement, Bryan Fair, the SPLC’s chief executive, called the allegations “false” and said the justice department’s actions “will not shake our resolve to fight for justice and ensure the promise of the civil rights movement becomes a reality for all”.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

© Photograph: Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

© Photograph: Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Harmeet Dhillon: DoJ lawyer a top contender for Trump’s retribution mission Sam Levine in New York
    Pugilistic presence has laid waste to civil rights decision – her take-no-prisoners approach has alarmed legal experts but earned president’s plauditsWhen Donald Trump abruptly fired Pam Bondi earlier this month, he made it clear that an unmistakable priority for the justice department would be using the nation’s top law enforcement agency to seek retribution against his political rivals.For months, Trump pressured Bondi to move ahead with prosecutions against James Comey, Letitia James, Adam Sc
     

Harmeet Dhillon: DoJ lawyer a top contender for Trump’s retribution mission

Pugilistic presence has laid waste to civil rights decision – her take-no-prisoners approach has alarmed legal experts but earned president’s plaudits

When Donald Trump abruptly fired Pam Bondi earlier this month, he made it clear that an unmistakable priority for the justice department would be using the nation’s top law enforcement agency to seek retribution against his political rivals.

For months, Trump pressured Bondi to move ahead with prosecutions against James Comey, Letitia James, Adam Schiff and other rivals, even publicly venting his frustration with Bondi in October. The justice department eventually did secure indictments against Comey and James, but the cases later collapsed. Trump fired Bondi on 2 April, reportedly because he was angered by the department’s lack of progress in prosecuting enemies. Todd Blanche, the acting attorney general, has since said Trump has the “right” to direct investigations at the justice department.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

© Photograph: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

© Photograph: Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

❌
Subscriptions