Normal view

  • ✇Dawn Newspaper Pak
  • 25 terrorists killed in Bannu clash none@none.com (Muhammad Waseem Khan)
    • Two policemen, two civilians also martyred in exchange of fire• Police defuse 10kg bomb planted near mosque BANNU: A fierce clash erupted on Saturday between police, a peace committee and terrorists in the Barakzai Akh­undkhel area of Miryan tehsil in Bannu district, leaving at least 25 terrorists dead and several others injured, police said. Two police personnel and two civilians were martyred in the exchange of fire, while seven policemen and three civilians sustained injuries. District Poli
     

25 terrorists killed in Bannu clash

• Two policemen, two civilians also martyred in exchange of fire
• Police defuse 10kg bomb planted near mosque

BANNU: A fierce clash erupted on Saturday between police, a peace committee and terrorists in the Barakzai Akh­undkhel area of Miryan tehsil in Bannu district, leaving at least 25 terrorists dead and several others injured, police said.

Two police personnel and two civilians were martyred in the exchange of fire, while seven policemen and three civilians sustained injuries.

District Police Officer Yasir Afridi told Dawn that more than 25 terrorists were killed during the police operation.

According to sources, the police peace committee received information about the presence of a large number of terrorists in the area and immediately launched an operation. The Lakki Marwat police peace committee also arrived to support the Bannu police.

Terrorists had erected barricades at various points along the routes, which police managed to clear while advancing.

Police sources said that despite intense firing, police personnel safely reached the police station, while additional reinforcements arrived to bring the situation under control.

According to police officials, two key terrorist commanders, Zmari Noor and Abdullah, were also killed in the operation. Local sources said a large number of terrorists were still present in the Barakzai area, keeping tensions high as intermittent firing continued from both sides.

The martyred police personnel were identified as Wahid Khan, son of Shah Baraz and resident of Naib Kaki, and Noorullah, son of Zareef and resident of Baka Khel.

The injured policemen were identified as Wahidullah, son of Ubaidullah and resident of Dheri Gandi Bazaar Ahmad Khan; Shah Bakhtiyar, son of Sardar Khan and resident of Hathi Khel; Sajjadullah, son of Sakhi Zaman and resident of Nar Bostan; SHO Naurang Asmatullah Niazi; Zohaib Khan, son of Dilbaz and resident of Nekam Kaki; Atif, son of Waliullah and resident of Sokari Karim Khan; and Noman Qureshi, resident of Naurang.

The two martyred civilians were identified as retired FC official Raib Khan, son of Zargul and resident of Sardi Khel, and Nasir Khan, son of Baghdad Khan and resident of Akhund Khel Kotka Nazar Shah.

The injured civilians were identified as Mohsin, son of Inayatullah and resident of Akhund Noorar; Bakht Ali, son of Sakhi Sarwar and resident of Khani Kalla; and Safiullah, son of Asmatullah.

Meanwhile, Bannu police also foiled a major act of sabotage after defusing a 10-kilogram remote-controlled bomb planted near Gul Zaman Mosque at Mama Sh Khel on Bannu-Miranshah Road.

The bomb disposal squad carried out a timely operation and safely neutralised the explosive material.

Published in Dawn, May 24th, 2026

12 terrorists killed, one person dead in heavy fighting between police, militants in KP's Bannu

BANNU: At least a dozen terrorists were killed while a man was martyred on Saturday as a fierce clash continued between a police peace committee and militants in the Barakzai Akhundkhel area in Miryan tehsil of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Bannu district.

District Police Officer (DPO) Yasir Afridi confirmed to Dawn that 12 terrorists had been eliminated, while “one [individual] was martyred” and four policemen were injured during the police action.

Bannu Medical Teaching Institution spokesperson Mohammad Noman Khattab said the martyr, along with four others injured, was brought to the District Headquarters Hospital.

Police also confirmed that during the exchange of fire, a retired Federal Constabulary official was martyred, adding that four police personnel and a child were injured.

According to police sources, despite intense firing, the police force displayed bravery and safely reached the police station, while additional personnel were called in to bring the situation fully under control.

Local sources said that a large number of militants are present in the Barkazai area, due to which tensions remain high and intermittent firing continues from both sides.

Contingents from other security forces also reached the site, and search and clearance operations in the area have been intensified further.

President Asif Ali Zardari, in a statement, praised the professionalism and bravery of the KP police and the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) in eliminating the terrorists.

“The sacrifices of our martyrs are a source of pride for the nation, and the country will always remember the services of its brave sons,” the president said.

In his statement, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi also commended the police and CTD for “thwarting the nefarious plans” of the terrorists.

Earlier in the day, Bannu police also averted a major tragedy by defusing a 10-kilogramme remote-controlled bomb planted near Gul Zaman Mosque in Mamash Khel on the Bannu-Miranshah Road.

The bomb disposal squad successfully neutralised the explosive device during a timely operation.

Terrorism resurgence

There has been a resurgence in terrorism in Pakistan, especially in KP and Balochistan, since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in Kabul in 2021.

Islamabad has repeatedly urged the Taliban administration to dismantle terrorist sanctuaries on Afghan soil, particularly those linked to the banned Tehreek—i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). Officials say those appeals have gone unheeded.

A day ago, a police official was martyred when unidentified assailants opened fire on him in Khyber district’s Bara tehsil.

Earlier this month, Islamabad issued a “strong demarche” to Afghanistan over the May 10 suicide attack at Bannu’s Fateh Khel police post, which claimed the lives of 15 police personnel.

On May 12, at least nine people, including two traffic policemen, lost their lives while 33 others were injured in a blast in Lakki Marwat. Earlier this week, a tribal chief was among three killed in a blast in Lower South Waziristan’s Wana.

Due to a resurgence of militancy, particularly in KP and Balochistan, where attacks often target security personnel and law enforcement agencies, the state has intensified counter-terrorism operations.

A week ago, police claimed to have eliminated five “high-value targets”, including a TTP commander responsible for the deadly Fateh Khel police post attack.

  • ✇Dawn Newspaper Pak
  • Bannu police kill five militants after launching operation in district none@none.com (Muhammad Waseem Khan)
    BANNU: Police have killed a highly wanted commander involved in the suicide attack on Fateh Khel Police Post along with his accomplice during “Operation Intiqam-e-Shuhada” (Operation Revenge of the Martyrs). The police claim to have eliminated five terrorists within the last 24 hours. At least 15 police personnel were martyred last week after a suicide attack on the Fateh Khel police post in Bannu district. The terrorists launched their attack on the post by ramming a vehicle laden with explosiv
     

Bannu police kill five militants after launching operation in district

BANNU: Police have killed a highly wanted commander involved in the suicide attack on Fateh Khel Police Post along with his accomplice during “Operation Intiqam-e-Shuhada” (Operation Revenge of the Martyrs).

The police claim to have eliminated five terrorists within the last 24 hours.

At least 15 police personnel were martyred last week after a suicide attack on the Fateh Khel police post in Bannu district. The terrorists launched their attack on the post by ramming a vehicle laden with explosives.

Under the special directives of RPO Sajjad Khan, Bannu Police have intensified decisive operations against militants across the district. Following the attack on a police post, multiple intelligence-based operations (IBOs) were carried out in the district.

According to police officials, the killed militants include Hiyatullah, a key target killer of the Zargul group; Asad Yar, who was involved in the attack on Checkpost Fateh Khel; along with Nimatullah, Commander Mansoor, and one unidentified militant.

Police further claimed that the slain terrorists were involved in multiple attacks on security forces, the Counter-Terrorism Department and civilians.

The operations were conducted by specialised police teams under the close supervision of RPO Bannu, using modern intelligence and effective tactical strategies.

Bannu Police said that there is no space left for militants and their facilitators in the district, adding that operations will continue until lasting peace is fully restored.

A militant body was tied to an armored vehicle and paraded through the city as a warning and to serve as an example.

Meanwhile, civil society and local residents praised Bannu Police for their successful operations and commitment to maintaining law and order in the area.

Police Peace Committee launches operation

The Police Peace Committee on Saturday launched an operation titled “Operation Revenge of the Martyrs” in Bannu amid rising insecurity and militant violence in the district.

The announcement was made during a meeting held at Bannu Police Lines, where committee members discussed the law-and-order situation, counter-terrorism measures, and public cooperation in detail.

Speaking on the occasion, Peace Committee President Hazrat Ullah said operations against militants would continue with “full force” and the blood of police martyrs would not go unavenged.

He emphasised that ensuring the protection of life and property was a shared responsibility of the police and the peace committee, adding that all available resources would be utilised for this purpose.

The meeting reaffirmed the resolve that the public must support the police in restoring lasting peace in the district and warned that indiscriminate action would be taken against militants and their facilitators.

The committee also announced that hujras and houses allegedly being used by militants would be reclaimed, while individuals suspected of maintaining links with militants would be required to clarify their position.

It was further decided that the committee would remain completely non-political and that the public would be able to submit complaints regarding police conduct to the committee so that immediate steps could be taken for redress.

The committee leaders reiterated their commitment to continue operations until the complete elimination of militants and to take every possible step for the restoration of peace in the district.

Bannu district has been the scene of repeated security incidents in recent months, with both civilians and local security forces coming under attack amid a broader surge in militant violence.

Violence in Bannu has included attacks on police and jirga members, prompting targeted operations by police and security forces in various localities to disrupt militant networks.

  • ✇Dawn Newspaper Pak
  • 15 police personnel martyred in Bannu suicide attack none@none.com (Muhammad Waseem Khan)
    BANNU: At least 15 police personnel were martyred on Saturday night after a suicide attack on the Fateh Khel police post in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Bannu district. The terrorists launched their attack on the post by ramming a vehicle laden with explosives. According to Bannu Regional Police Officer Sajjad Khan, a total of 18 police personnel were present at the post at the time of the attack, of whom 15 were martyred and three sustained injuries. A crane removes a burned armor
     

15 police personnel martyred in Bannu suicide attack

BANNU: At least 15 police personnel were martyred on Saturday night after a suicide attack on the Fateh Khel police post in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Bannu district.

The terrorists launched their attack on the post by ramming a vehicle laden with explosives.

According to Bannu Regional Police Officer Sajjad Khan, a total of 18 police personnel were present at the post at the time of the attack, of whom 15 were martyred and three sustained injuries.

A crane removes a burned armored vehicle from a damaged police checkpost site following a car bombing attack by terrorists. — AFP
A crane removes a burned armored vehicle from a damaged police checkpost site following a car bombing attack by terrorists. — AFP

Police said that following the explosion, terrorists opened heavy fire and attacked the post from multiple directions. Multiple blasts were heard in the area, causing fear and panic among local residents.

“During the assault, the militants used quadcopters along with heavy weaponry,” a senior administrative official in Bannu told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Sources said that communication with the Fateh Khel police post was lost briefly after the attack.

The powerful blast completely destroyed the post. An armoured vehicle stationed at the post was also destroyed in the attack.

Nearby buildings also suffered severe damage from the blast’s intensity. Following the attack, an emergency was declared in local hospitals.

The Bannu police launched an operation, led by RPO Sajjad, after the attack, and the area was cordoned off by security forces.

Police also tightened security across the city and set up additional checkpoints. Local residents also came out in support of law enforcement personnel.

Rescue 1122 teams concluded the rescue operation at the site of the incident on Sunday morning.

Excavators clear rubble from the destroyed police checkpost following a car bombing attack by terrorists. — AFP
Excavators clear rubble from the destroyed police checkpost following a car bombing attack by terrorists. — AFP

“The rescue operation has been completed. Fifteen bodies and three injured were recovered from the debris,” said Rescue 1122.

Later, officials from the bomb disposal squad told Dawn that a loader rickshaw was used in the attack. They said the preliminary investigation suggested that around 1,000 to 1,500 kilogrammes of explosive material was kept in the rickshaw.

Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said he was “deeply saddened by the tragic incident”.

“These courageous sons of the soil sacrificed their lives while protecting the people of Pakistan and defending peace. Their bravery, commitment and sacrifice will never be forgotten,” he wrote on X.

Naqvi expressed his heartfelt condolences and prayers to the bereaved families, praying for the martyrs’ elevated ranks.

“Pakistan stands united against terrorism and such cowardly acts can never weaken our resolve,” the interior minister affirmed.

PM condemns attack, reaffirms resolve against terrorism

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday telephoned KP Chief Minister Sohail Afridi and strongly condemned the terrorist attack.

The premier expressed deep sorrow and grief over the loss of precious lives in the attack and prayed for the elevation of ranks of the police personnel martyred. He also extended heartfelt condolences to their bereaved families and prayed for the speedy recovery of those injured in the attack.

Reaffirming the federal government’s commitment to eliminating terrorism, he said that the centre would continue working closely with provincial governments to ensure the complete eradication of terrorism from the country.

“We will provide every possible assistance to the provincial government in the fight against terrorism,” PM Shehbaz said.

Both leaders paid tribute to the armed forces, security forces, and police personnel for their sacrifices and efforts in combating terrorism.

The prime minister reiterated that the government remained fully determined to eliminate all forms of terrorism from the country.

President Asif Ali Zardari also condemned the attack, a statement carried by state broadcaster Radio Pakistan said.

He paid tribute to the police personnel martyred in a terrorist attack and prayed for their “eternal peace and elevation of the ranks”, the statement said, adding that the president also expressed sorrow over the damage caused to the homes of area residents in the incident.

President Zardari directed the provincial and federal governments to ensure all possible assistance for the injured and those affected by the attack, the statement said.

It quoted him as saying: “Nefarious designs of terrorist elements would be foiled and the nation stands shoulder to shoulder with its forces.”

He said that “at a time when Pakistan is striving for regional and global peace, terrorists backed by India are targeting Pakistan’s civilian population and law enforcement agencies from sanctuaries provided by the Taliban regime”.

The president expressed confidence that Pakistan would succeed in its efforts for global peace and defeat terrorists as well as their patrons.

“Pakistan will target not only the terrorists, but also their facilitators and sponsors,” he said.

Iranian envoy condemns Bannu attack

Iran’s Ambassador to Pakistan Reza Amiri Moghadam also condemned the terrorist attack on the Fateh Khel police post.

In a statement, he expressed condolences to the government and people of Pakistan, particularly the bereaved families, and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured.

Turkiye’s Embassy in Pakistan also condemned the attack in Bannu, vowing to “stand in full solidarity with Pakistan”.

The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation also condemned the attack and extended its “sincere condolences and sympathy to the government and people of Pakistan and to the families of the victims”.

It said in a statement it “wishes a speedy recovery to the injured, and reaffirms its solidarity with Pakistan in the face of terrorism and violence”.

The British embassy in Pakistan posted on X that the UK also “strongly condemns” the terrorist attack.

“Our thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the victims and those who have been injured. The UK stands in solidarity with Pakistan in the fight against terrorism,” the post said.

The Saudi foreign ministry also issued a condemnation of the “treacherous terrorist attack”.

Bannu district has been the scene of repeated security incidents in recent months, with both civilians and local security forces coming under attack amid a broader surge in militant violence.

Violence in Bannu has included attacks on police and jirga members, prompting targeted operations by police and security forces in various localities to disrupt militant networks.

Additional input from AFP.

❌
Subscriptions