Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • GSF 2.0: Eight Malaysians detained by Israeli forces in Gaza-bound flotilla interception
    SEPANG, May 18 — The Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) has confirmed that eight Malaysians participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 mission were detained by the Israeli Forces as of 6pm Malaysian time today after the vessels they were travelling on were intercepted while en route to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza.Activist Zainal Rashid Ahmad was detained at 5pm while sailing aboard the vessel Amanda.Muhamad Muhsin Zaidi, who was on board the Iso
     

GSF 2.0: Eight Malaysians detained by Israeli forces in Gaza-bound flotilla interception

18 May 2026 at 11:51

Malay Mail

SEPANG, May 18 — The Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) has confirmed that eight Malaysians participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 mission were detained by the Israeli Forces as of 6pm Malaysian time today after the vessels they were travelling on were intercepted while en route to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Activist Zainal Rashid Ahmad was detained at 5pm while sailing aboard the vessel Amanda.

Muhamad Muhsin Zaidi, who was on board the Isobella, was intercepted at 5.20pm while three Malaysians travelling on the Ferluto — S. Patmanathan, Muhammad Amirul Afif Mohd Azhar and Dr Syakirin Muhamed Senin — were detained at 4.50pm. 

Two others detained were Mohammad Syazly Mohammad Shees and Tengku Ahmad Taufik Tengku Noor Zahari after their vessel, Cactus, was intercepted at 4pm.

Activist Ahmad Musa Al-Nuwayri Kamaruzzaman, who was sailing on the Josef/Yusuf, was detained at 5.35pm. 

SNCC director-general Datuk Dr Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the flotilla was about 241 nautical miles from the Gaza coast when it was intercepted, within recognised international waters protected under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

“The IOF adopted provocative tactics by deploying several rigid inflatable boats (RIBs) towards the flotilla, while the presence of two warships and a prison ship was also detected near the flotilla’s operational area,” he told a press conference on the latest developments surrounding the GSF 2.0 mission here today.

Sani Araby said 11 flotilla vessels had been intercepted, approached and subjected to direct interference by Israeli forces, namely Cactus, Zio Faster, Holy Blue, Ferluto, Kyriakos, Amanda, Blue Toys, Barbaris, Isobella, Josef and Tenaz (Freedom Flotilla).

He said two other individuals detained involved Sumud Nusantara delegates Abdul Sattar Edhi Muhammad Saad from Pakistan, who was aboard the Zio Faster, and Indonesian national Andi Anga Prasadewa, who was travelling on the Josef.

Sani Araby said 41 flotilla vessels, including those carrying 21 Malaysians, were continuing their voyage to Gaza despite facing extremely high security risks due to ongoing threats of interception, harassment and aggressive action by Israeli forces.

“SNCC is closely monitoring the latest developments involving the flotilla operation and will continue to provide official updates from time to time regarding the safety status and movement of the flotilla.

“SNCC also calls on the international community, human rights organisations and the global maritime community to give serious attention to the intimidation and security threats faced by this civilian humanitarian mission in international waters,” he said. — Bernama 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Israel intercepts Gaza-bound aid flotilla near Cyprus as tensions escalate
    JERUSALEM, May 18 — Israeli forces were intercepting a Gaza-bound aid flotilla on Monday after it set sail from Turkey last week, with organisers saying one of the vessels was stopped west of Cyprus.“Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IDF forces are currently boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight,” the Global Sumud Flotilla posted on X.“We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission. Governments must act
     

Israel intercepts Gaza-bound aid flotilla near Cyprus as tensions escalate

18 May 2026 at 10:34

Malay Mail

JERUSALEM, May 18 — Israeli forces were intercepting a Gaza-bound aid flotilla on Monday after it set sail from Turkey last week, with organisers saying one of the vessels was stopped west of Cyprus.

“Military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IDF forces are currently boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight,” the Global Sumud Flotilla posted on X.

“We demand safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission. Governments must act now to stop these illegal acts or piracy meant to maintain Israel’s genocidal siege on Gaza.

“Normalisation of the occupation’s violence is a threat to us all.”

Around 50 ships had departed from south-western Turkey on Thursday as part of the flotilla.

On Monday, Israel had vowed to block the vessels.

“Israel will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza,” the foreign ministry posted on X.

“Israel calls on all participants in this provocation to change course and turn back immediately.”

The ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether Israeli forces were intercepting the boats.

The Global Sumud Flotilla is the third initiative in a year aimed at breaking an Israeli blockade of Gaza, which has suffered severe shortages of food, water, medicine and fuel since the Israel-Hamas war broke out in October 2023.

Israeli authorities reject claims of aid shortages, saying the Palestinian territory is “flooded” with supplies.

Israeli forces intercepted the second flotilla in international waters off Greece on April 30, expelling most of the activists to Europe.

But they arrested two of them, who were held for several days in Israel before they were deported.

Rights groups said the arrests were illegal and that the men suffered abuse while in Israeli detention.

Israeli authorities have rejected the abuse allegations but filed no charges against the pair. — AFP 

SNCC: Global Sumud Flotilla vessels halts briefly in Greece, Turkiye waters for repairs before resuming Gaza voyage

17 May 2026 at 00:57

Malay Mail

PUTRAJAYA, May 17 — The Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) vessels are currently in waters around Greece and Turkiye for maintenance on their communication systems and engines, according to the Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC).

SNCC director-general Datuk Dr Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said in a statement tonight that the technical stopover is temporary and does not involve activists landing ashore.

“Rough sea conditions along the operational route have affected the movement of the GSF vessels. The ships are expected to resume their voyage to Gaza on May 17 after all operational preparations are completed,” he said.

In the meantime, he urged Malaysians to continue performing Solat Hajat (prayer of need), Qunut Nazilah (supplication during calamity), and continuous prayers for the safety of the entire mission delegation and the success of the efforts to liberate Gaza.

“SNCC calls on all Malaysians to unite and double their efforts in spreading authentic facts and history, countering the malicious propaganda of the regime, and raising public awareness across all media platforms,” he said.

The current GSF mission involves nearly 500 international participants from 45 countries, mobilised by various global humanitarian activist groups.

Official enquiries regarding the mission can be made through its portal at tanya.sumudnusantara.com. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Govt monitoring Global Sumud Flotilla mission amid threat of Israeli interception, says Anwar
    IPOH, May 16 — The government is continuing to monitor the situation involving the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) team, which is currently at the yellow line two, about 340 nautical miles from the Gaza coast, amid the risk of interception by the Zionist regime, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.He said the government would do its utmost to maintain direct communication with the governments of Jordan and Saudi Arabia to obtain the latest information on the
     

Govt monitoring Global Sumud Flotilla mission amid threat of Israeli interception, says Anwar

16 May 2026 at 12:10

Malay Mail

IPOH, May 16 — The government is continuing to monitor the situation involving the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) team, which is currently at the yellow line two, about 340 nautical miles from the Gaza coast, amid the risk of interception by the Zionist regime, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

He said the government would do its utmost to maintain direct communication with the governments of Jordan and Saudi Arabia to obtain the latest information on the participants and remain on standby should any untoward incident occur.

“We are constantly monitoring the situation, meaning we have already exerted pressure, but we are dealing with Israel, the most uncivilised (country) in the world.

“It is not only with participants from Malaysia, but also from Spain, Turkiye and Brazil. We are prepared should such an interception occur,” he told reporters after attending a meeting session and presentation of Letters of Acceptance (SST) to Bumiputera small-scale contractors at the Perak State Education Complex here today.

He said this when asked about the statement by the Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC), which confirmed the critical situation involving 54 GSF vessels currently at yellow line two, about 340 nautical miles from the Gaza coast, and facing a high risk of interception by the Zionist regime as had occurred previously.

Asked what action would be taken if the convoy vessels were indeed intercepted by the Zionist regime, Anwar said: “We pray that it will not happen, but if it does, we are on standby.”

The latest GSF mission involves nearly 500 international participants from 45 countries, including 29 Malaysians, mobilised by various global humanitarian activist groups. — Bernama

 

Govt closely monitoring Malaysia-led Gaza aid flotilla amid fears of interception, says Anwar

16 May 2026 at 09:16

Malay Mail

IPOH, May 16 — Malaysia is closely monitoring the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) humanitarian mission to Gaza after the convoy entered high-risk waters where organisers fear possible interception, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said today,

He said the government remains on standby as the flotilla, involving 54 ships and nearly 500 activists from 45 countries, approaches areas near Gaza that organisers say carry a high risk of action by Israeli forces.

“We are always monitoring... The government will do what it can.

“We are in direct communication with not only the Malaysian participants but also with Spain, Turkiye and Brazil,” he was quoted by The Star as saying after meeting Bumiputera small contractors here today.

“We pray that nothing will happen, but we must be prepared,” he added.

The flotilla, coordinated by the Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC), hs entered what organisers described as a “high-risk zone”.

The latest mission comes after an earlier Global Sumud Flotilla attempt reportedly saw several vessels intercepted in international waters, with activists detained and some boats damaged or allegedly sabotaged.

SNCC previously said 10 Malaysians involved in the earlier mission were among several participants detained several days by Israeli forces last month, and later released in Turkiye.

 

❌
Subscriptions