Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Kota Laksamana finally gets its own RM6.5m Japerun Complex
    MELAKA, May 17 — The Kota Laksamana state constituency will soon have its own State Legislative Assembly Development and Coordination Committee Complex (Japerun).Kota Laksamana assemblyman Low Chee Leong said the complex will be built on a 0.83-hectare site in Kota Laksamana Jaya, featuring offices and a multipurpose hall. Construction is expected to take three years.“The Melaka state government has approved RM6.5 million for this project. The residents have long
     

Kota Laksamana finally gets its own RM6.5m Japerun Complex

17 May 2026 at 10:04

Malay Mail

MELAKA, May 17 — The Kota Laksamana state constituency will soon have its own State Legislative Assembly Development and Coordination Committee Complex (Japerun).

Kota Laksamana assemblyman Low Chee Leong said the complex will be built on a 0.83-hectare site in Kota Laksamana Jaya, featuring offices and a multipurpose hall. Construction is expected to take three years.

“The Melaka state government has approved RM6.5 million for this project. The residents have long awaited this. Kota Laksamana has had no proper Japerun building. We have been operating out of a small community hall in Kampung Morten, which is cramped and uncomfortable,” he told reporters.

He spoke after the launching ceremony of the WRUR Programme: Kampung Kita for the Kota Melaka parliamentary constituency, officiated by Chief Minister Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh, who also performed a symbolic ground-breaking ceremony for the complex.

Low, who is also deputy exco for Rural Development, Agriculture and Food Security, said the complex will be a one-stop centre for constituency programmes and activities, streamlining all public welfare matters.

On drainage, he said this will be a key focus for the constituency’s future development, given its mix of old and new towns.

“Five flood hotspots have been identified: Pengkalan Rama Pantai, Kota Laksamana, Kampung Enam, Tengkera and Mata Kucing. Between 30 and 100 homes are affected, depending on flood severity,” he said.

He stressed that flash floods must be tackled consistently and seriously, as they threaten not just property, but residents’ safety and health.

Earlier, he noted that over RM10 million has been spent on infrastructure and public facilities in Kota Laksamana from 2003 to last year.

Projects completed or underway include road resurfacing, upgrading streetlights and urban lighting, improving tourism sites and walkways, upgrading flats and drainage systems, as well as public facilities repairs. — Bernama

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • On national Youth Day, Anwar announces RM5m allocation for Youth Council
    SEREMBAN, May 15 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today announced a RM5 million allocation for the Malaysian Youth Council (MBM) to strengthen the umbrella body’s role in advancing youth development in the country.He said the additional RM1 million allocation compared with last year was recognition of MBM’s role as the main driver of the national youth agenda under the Ministry of Youth and Sports (KBS), while reflecting the government’s continued commit
     

On national Youth Day, Anwar announces RM5m allocation for Youth Council

15 May 2026 at 07:22

Malay Mail

SEREMBAN, May 15 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim today announced a RM5 million allocation for the Malaysian Youth Council (MBM) to strengthen the umbrella body’s role in advancing youth development in the country.

He said the additional RM1 million allocation compared with last year was recognition of MBM’s role as the main driver of the national youth agenda under the Ministry of Youth and Sports (KBS), while reflecting the government’s continued commitment to supporting youth development programmes.

“MBM is the sole youth association under the KBS. So this year, I agree to increase it to RM5 million… last year it was RM4 million,” he said when officiating the 2026 National Youth Day celebration here.

Also present were Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun and Youth and Sports Minister Dr Mohammed Taufiq Johari.

Meanwhile, Anwar said the government had also allocated funds under the Islamic Development Programme benefiting 7,091 Kelas Al-Quran dan Fardu Ain (Kafa) teachers, imams, takmir teachers and mosque personnel nationwide, involving a total financial commitment of RM42.3 million.

The Prime Minister said support would also extend to Islamic educational institutions such as pondok schools, tahfiz centres, religious schools and Kafa premises operating outside the supervision of the Education Ministry, with RM5.4 million allocated for maintenance and institutional strengthening.

He said three projects in Negeri Sembilan had been approved by the Prime Minister’s Department Implementation Coordination Unit (ICU), involving RM800,000 in allocations for minor repair works at Maahad Tahfiz Al-Quran Al-Falah Kuala Sawah Rantau, Madrasah Az-Zaakiriin and Pondok Pesantren Darul Tauhid.

In his speech earlier, the Prime Minister also praised Aminuddin’s resilience and determination in navigating the state’s prolonged political challenges while continuing to prioritise the people’s welfare.

Anwar said he appreciated Aminuddin’s steadfast leadership and focus on developing the state despite facing continuous political pressures.

“I salute Menteri Besar Aminuddin for the resilience and spirit he has shown in facing the state’s never-ending political turmoil,” he said. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Jane Schoenbrun reshapes slasher genre with ‘Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma’ premiere at Cannes
    CANNES, May 14 — US filmmaker Jane Schoenbrun’s new horror film, “Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma”, was borne ‌of a desire to remake a genre beloved by many despite its troubling aspects, the director told Reuters before its Cannes Film Festival premiere on Wednesday.Some horror films, including the slasher subgenre popularised by “Halloween”, have been criticised as transphobic because they equate gender nonconformity with mental illness or danger, and use
     

Jane Schoenbrun reshapes slasher genre with ‘Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma’ premiere at Cannes

14 May 2026 at 13:00

Malay Mail

CANNES, May 14 — US filmmaker Jane Schoenbrun’s new horror film, “Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma”, was borne ‌of a desire to remake a genre beloved by many despite its troubling aspects, the director told Reuters before its Cannes Film Festival premiere on Wednesday.

Some horror films, including the slasher subgenre popularised by “Halloween”, have been criticised as transphobic because they equate gender nonconformity with mental illness or danger, and use it as a source of shock or fear.

Examples include the characters Norman Bates in “Psycho” or Buffalo Bill in “Silence of the Lambs.”

“I grew up in love with those films, and I don’t think ‌I’m the only trans person who found themselves oddly comforted by these depictions ⁠of the transsexual monster, even while ⁠those depictions are obviously very troubling,” Schoenbrun said.

“(They) ⁠also instilled in me a ⁠deep internalized transphobia that ⁠a huge part of early transition involved getting over,” added the director.

The World of Camp Miasma 

“Teenage Sex and Death,” Schoenbrun’s third feature, was selected ⁠to open the festival’s second-tier Un Certain Regard category.

Hannah Einbinder, from TV series “Hacks”, stars as a screenwriter who visits the mysterious “final girl” actor from the first film in the fictional “Camp Miasma” slasher franchise, played by Gillian Anderson, to bring her on to a new reboot.

Their relationship quickly deepens into ⁠an exploration of sex and body image as they sense that the “Camp Miasma” killer, Little Death, has started to awaken again at ⁠the bottom of the campside lake, in a blending of reality and fiction.

Einbinder ⁠said she ⁠related to the film’s themes of liberation from shame and embracing desire, and how difficult it can be to feel out of place in one’s own body, ‌especially in sexual situations.

“I think everybody experiences that, and it’s really not often talked about, especially in the context of a sapphic relationship,” she said. — Reuters 

 

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Real Madrid begins presidential election with Perez set to run again
     MADRID, May 14 — Real Madrid officially started their electoral process today, after president Florentino Perez announced his decision to call elections, in which he will stand.There is a 10-day window, until May 23, for the submission of candidacies, Madrid said in a statement.Among the requirements to be a candidate are having been a club member for 20 years and providing a guarantee of 187 million euros (US$219m), equivalent to 15 per cent of the club’s annua
     

Real Madrid begins presidential election with Perez set to run again

14 May 2026 at 10:32

Malay Mail

 

MADRID, May 14 — Real Madrid officially started their electoral process today, after president Florentino Perez announced his decision to call elections, in which he will stand.

There is a 10-day window, until May 23, for the submission of candidacies, Madrid said in a statement.

Among the requirements to be a candidate are having been a club member for 20 years and providing a guarantee of 187 million euros (US$219m), equivalent to 15 per cent of the club’s annual budget, which must be backed by personal assets.

Perez, who was re-elected unopposed in January 2025 for a four-year term, announced at a press conference on Tuesday that he will run again.

Spanish media report Enrique Riquelme, the president of the water and energy group Cox, is considering entering the race.

In a letter published by several outlets in Spain, the renewable energy businessman asked Perez for more time to potentially prepare a candidacy.

”When I ran in the 2000 elections, I didn’t ask for more time; I ran and I won,” said Perez in an interview on television channel La Sexta yesterday. 

If multiple candidates stand the electoral board will announce the date and place of the elections in due course.

If no one else comes forward, Perez, 79, would retain his post, as happened in the 2013, 2017, 2021 and 2025 elections.

The Spanish businessman was first elected as Madrid president in 2000, overseeing the club’s Galactico era, and resigned in 2006.

Since Perez returned in 2009, Madrid have won five Spanish league titles and a remarkable six European cups, among other silverware. — AFP

 

 

‘Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma’ Review: Gillian Anderson and Hannah Einbinder Serve in Jane Schoenbrun’s Delicious Slasher Homage

13 May 2026 at 22:48
If Jane Schoenbrun is feeling the pressures of being their generation’s highest-profile trans filmmaker, it shows in only the most enjoyably defiant of ways in Un Certain Regard opener “Teenage Sex and Death in Camp Miasma.” A steamy stew of sex, death, VHS and junk food, as though workshopped by Eros, Thanatos, Colonel Sanders and the […]

❌
Subscriptions