Normal view

Search continues in Sabah for Kalabakan elephant with severe trunk injury, probe into mutilation ongoing

20 May 2026 at 02:13

Malay Mail

KOTA KINABALU, May 20 — The relevant authorities have yet to locate a Bornean elephant with a semi-severed trunk, believed to be in the Felda Kalabakan Selatan area.

A video of the injured animal has been circulating on social media just after reports of the death of a Bornean elephant in Tongod.

Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Jafry Ariffin said a complaint regarding the injured elephant was lodged last week, prompting search and monitoring operations by the relevant authorities on May 13-14.

“Search and field monitoring operations were subsequently carried out in an effort to locate the animal. However, the elephant could not be found during the operation,” he said in a statement.

Jafry said further action would depend on any new information, sightings, or reports from the field.

He shared that preliminary feedback from the veterinary team pointed out that injuries involving an elephant’s trunk are highly complex and difficult to treat.

“Should reconstruction or reconnection procedures be considered, the likelihood of successful recovery and restoration of normal trunk function would be significantly reduced,” he said.

He explained that any veterinary intervention would involve more than immediate wound treatment, including possible surgery to remove damaged tissue or reconstruct torn trunk muscles, followed by intensive post-surgical care and continuous monitoring for up to two weeks.

Jafry said initial observations indicated that the wound had shown some signs of healing, although the closure of the wound was “not ideal”.

He said field rangers from the Sabah Wildlife Department are continuing close monitoring and, at this stage, there is no indication of severe infection that could immediately threaten the elephant’s survival.

“Veterinary intervention is therefore not required at this point. However, treatment measures will be activated should the condition worsen or further complications arise,” he said.

On the possible cause of the injury, Jafry said investigations are still ongoing and no conclusion had been reached.

“While snaring remains one of the possibilities being assessed, it has not been confirmed as the cause. Authorities are also considering other possibilities, including injuries caused by sharp objects,” he said.

Among the scenarios being examined, he said, was accidental contact with harvesting tools used in oil palm plantations, particularly equipment left behind or lodged within plantation areas.

He urged the public to avoid speculation while investigations and field assessments continue.

“The Bornean elephant is one of Sabah’s most iconic wildlife species and an important part of our environmental heritage. We remain committed to ensuring that every case involving wildlife is handled responsibly, professionally, and based on scientific assessment,” he said.

He added that the ministry would continue working closely with the Sabah Wildlife Department and relevant stakeholders to monitor the case and take appropriate action. — The Borneo Post 

Sabah probes suspected ivory poaching after mutilated Bornean elephant found in Tongod forest reserve

19 May 2026 at 07:09

Malay Mail

 

KOTA KINABALU, May 19 — Sabah authorities are investigating the death of a Bornean elephant found mutilated in a forest reserve in Tongod, believed to be linked to ivory poaching.

State Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Jafry Ariffin said he was deeply concerned by the discovery of the dead elephant within the nursery forest area of the Sungai Pinangah Forest Reserve.

According to reports, the Kinabatangan Wildlife team received a complaint at approximately 8.25am on May 18, 2026 regarding a dead elephant suspected to be linked to wildlife crime.

A field inspection was conducted the same day at 12.13pm at the incident site within the nursery forest area in Sungai Pinangah Forest Reserve, Tongod.

A male Bornean elephant (Elephas maximus borneensis), measuring approximately 2.9 metres in height with a footprint size of 1.45 metres, was found with its face and mouth cut in an L-shaped pattern using sharp tools, while the tusks were missing and suspected to have been removed.

Initial inspections also found cut marks on the head area.

According to investigations, estate staff in Tongod had on May 17 at about 5.30pm heard a loud explosion-like sound. However, inspection efforts could not be carried out immediately due to continuous heavy rainfall throughout the night.

At 6.30am the following morning, the estate manager together with staff conducted monitoring activities and discovered the dead elephant.

At this stage, no gunshot wounds were detected on the body parts examined, although a full examination of the animal is still ongoing. Heavy rainfall during the suspected period also made it difficult for investigators to identify tracks and evidence at the scene.

“The exact cause of death has yet to be determined and a post-mortem examination together with further investigations will now be carried out by the Sabah Wildlife Department,” said Jafry.

“I wish to stress that if investigations confirm the involvement of poaching activities, illegal ivory removal or other wildlife offences, firm action without compromise must be taken against those responsible,” he said.

“The Bornean elephant is one of Sabah’s most iconic and protected wildlife species and remains an important component of the state’s biodiversity and conservation efforts. Any act threatening its survival must be treated seriously.

“We cannot allow Sabah to become a ground for wildlife crime. Every loss of a protected species is a loss to our natural heritage and the future of Sabah’s biodiversity.”

 

❌
Subscriptions