Normal view

Home Ministry to submit Bidor refugee detention centre report to Cabinet in June, says Saifuddin Nasution

19 May 2026 at 09:27

Malay Mail

PUTRAJAYA, May 19 — The Home Ministry (KDN) will present a report on the implementation of the Refugee and Asylum Seeker Special Detention Centre (PPKPPS) in Bidor, Perak, to the Cabinet next month.

Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the report would be tabled in line with a directive from Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim during today’s National Economic Action Council (MTEN) meeting.

He said he had also asked KDN deputy secretary-general (Security) Datuk Abdul Halim Abdul Rahman to prepare an urgent Cabinet note on the matter.

“Next month, in the second week of June, we will submit it as a Cabinet note to our fellow ministers at the Prime Minister’s request.

“The KDN will have the opportunity to provide detailed updates on this special project, which is being implemented in line with responsibilities assigned by the National Security Council under comprehensive refugee management,” he said at the Immigration Department’s Excellent Service Awards 2025 ceremony today.

Saifuddin said the Bidor PPKPPS would be a game changer in Malaysia’s efforts to establish a more comprehensive refugee management system.

“This major project will determine success and has the potential to be a game changer in the country’s comprehensive refugee management agenda,” he said.

The KDN has previously taken proactive steps to strengthen policies on foreign nationals, including refugees and asylum seekers, through the establishment of the PPKPPS facility in Bidor.

The modern facility will function not only as a screening and documentation centre, but also as a national reference hub for security screening, biometric verification, documentation, and status assessment. — Bernama 

Police detain 15 over dangerous flare stunt ride in Bukit Bintang linked to Dengkil clothing shop

19 May 2026 at 05:31

Malay Mail

 

 

KUALA LUMPUR, May 19 — Police have detained 15 people, including a woman, less than 24 hours after they allegedly ignited flares and rode dangerously around Bukit Bintang in an incident that went viral on social media.

According to The Star, Dang Wangi police chief ACP Sazalee Adam said the suspects, aged between 17 and 30, were arrested in Batu Caves, Shah Alam, Dengkil and Kajang during an operation conducted between noon and 8pm yesterday.

He reportedly said that police seized two electric scrambler motorcycles and a four-wheel-drive vehicle believed to have been used in the stunt.

The incident reportedly took place at about 2am yesterday along Jalan Sultan Ismail, where a group was seen igniting flares while riding through the busy tourist district.

Sazalee was quoted saying that initial investigations found that the stunt was carried out to promote a clothing shop in Dengkil, with one of those detained, a 24-year-old man, identified as the shop owner.

He said the shop owner had allegedly hired several individuals to perform the dangerous acts, with each participant reportedly paid between RM50 and RM700.

According to the English daily, police also found that the electric scramblers involved were only permitted for off-road use, and summonses would be issued for the offence.

The suspects have been remanded until Thursday as investigations continue under several laws, including Section 42 of the Road Transport Act 1987 and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

 

❌
Subscriptions