Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Malaysia, Myanmar move towards diplomatic reset after leadership change
    PHNOM PENH, May 20 — Putrajaya and Nay Pyi Taw are now working to restore ties nearly five years after Myanmar’s military coup plunged the nation into diplomatic isolation.Diplomatic dialogue is resuming after a lengthy thaw, following the election of former armed forces chief Min Aung Hlaing as president on April 10 — a development that is prompting diplomats to rethink on re-engagement with the South-east Asian nation. During a one-day working visit on Tuesday
     

Malaysia, Myanmar move towards diplomatic reset after leadership change

20 May 2026 at 03:54

Malay Mail

PHNOM PENH, May 20 — Putrajaya and Nay Pyi Taw are now working to restore ties nearly five years after Myanmar’s military coup plunged the nation into diplomatic isolation.

Diplomatic dialogue is resuming after a lengthy thaw, following the election of former armed forces chief Min Aung Hlaing as president on April 10 — a development that is prompting diplomats to rethink on re-engagement with the South-east Asian nation. 

During a one-day working visit on Tuesday to Nay Pyi Taw, Malaysian Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan held talks with his counterpart, U Tin Maung Swe on a broad range of issues.

“The two foreign ministers cordially discussed matters relating to the enhancement of relations between Myanmar and Malaysia at the bilateral level and in the context of Asean.

“They exchanged views on promotion of existing cooperation in the areas of mutual interests,” Myanmar’s Foreign Affairs Ministry said on its Facebook page on Tuesday.

Mohamad’s visit also comes shortly after the 48th Asean Summit in Cebu, in the Philippines on May 8, where several member states struggled to reach a consensus on the status of Myanmar’s newly elected government.

Since the coup in February 2021, which ousted the elected civilian government, Asean has not recognised the military-led administration in Nay Pyi Taw and has distanced itself diplomatically. 

Observers say the revitalising of Malaysia-Myanmar bilateral relations signals a political shift that could redraw regional diplomacy in South-east Asia and pave the way for Myanmar’s return into Asean’s fold after prolonged political turmoil, armed conflict within the country and international scrutiny.

“Asean must bridge the gap because in Cebu, there were different views on post-election Myanmar. Mohamad’s visit shows Malaysia has now recognised the election outcome, and it is a good move. 

“While some other countries are yet to recognise (the Myanmar elections). A recalibrated engagement with Myanmar is now needed,” Bangkok-based geopolitical analyst Kavi Chongkittavorn told Bernama. 

Asean, he said, should pave the way for an informal meeting with Myanmar leaders following the national elections to bring an amicable reconciliation to the long-standing Myanmar crisis. 

Last year, Malaysia, as Asean chair, worked relentlessly to bring an end to the Asean-Myanmar political stalemate and stop the ongoing armed civil war raging in parts of the country. 

The move was to allow critical international humanitarian assistance into the country affected by the civil conflict and a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck on March 28 last year.

According to the United Nations, about 3.3 million people have been displaced due to the ongoing crisis while about 5,000 people have lost their lives since the coup.

Observers believe that a peaceful Myanmar with about 55 million people is vital for regional stability.  — Bernama 

Malaysia demands immediate release of 25 citizens detained by Israeli forces after Gaza flotilla interception

20 May 2026 at 00:51

Malay Mail

PETALING JAYA, May 20 — Malaysia is demanding for the Israeli Zionist regime to immediately release 25 of its citizens who are members and crew of the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) detained off the coast of Cyprus on May 18.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said the action runs counter to basic human rights and international law, as the group were not within Israeli waters when they were intercepted by the country’s authority.

“We demand that the Israeli Zionist regime accord them proper treatment and release them immediately as this is against basic human rights and international law.

“They did not intrude… they were (located) far off (the coast of Cyprus). And yet they were intercepted, and there were citizens of many other countries who were also detained by the Israeli Zionist regime,” he said, during a media conference at the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) base in Subang, on Tuesday.

Mohamad said he also would like to thank his counterpart from Türkiye, Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, and the government of Turkiye for successfully bringing home 10 Malaysia citizens who were detained earlier.

“But now we have more detained.

“We ask for them to be accorded proper treatment and be released immediately,” he said.

Mohamad said for other Malaysians were earlier detained by the Greek authority when their vessel sank while in the process of bringing it back.

Mohamad said three other crew or participants have been released while two more – the captain and first officer — have been detained and tried before being freed by the court.

“They have all returned to Istanbul.

“We would like to again thank my counterpart, Hakan Fidan, and the government of Turkiye,” he said. — Bernama 

❌
Subscriptions