Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Israel releases detained flotilla activists, 29 Malaysians due back in Malaysia May 24
    SEPANG, May 21 — All 428 humanitarian activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, including 29 Malaysians detained by Israeli forces in international waters, have been released, with the Malaysian group due to return home May 24.Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) director-general Datuk Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the SNCC had been informed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had dispatched three
     

Israel releases detained flotilla activists, 29 Malaysians due back in Malaysia May 24

21 May 2026 at 12:36

Malay Mail

SEPANG, May 21 — All 428 humanitarian activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0, including 29 Malaysians detained by Israeli forces in international waters, have been released, with the Malaysian group due to return home May 24.

Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) director-general Datuk Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the SNCC had been informed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had dispatched three Turkish Airlines aircraft to Ramon Airport, located in Israeli territory.

He said all 428 flotilla activists were being transferred by bus to Ramon Airport, and were expected to travel to Istanbul on three special Turkish government-sponsored flights, TK6919, TK6921 and TK6925.

“The three special Turkish Airlines flights are expected to depart from the Israeli territory at about 8 pm Malaysian time.

“The flight is expected to arrive at 10 pm Malaysian time and will be received by the Malaysian Embassy in Türkiye, Wisma Putra, as well as the Turkish government,” he said at a press conference on the latest developments of the GSF 2.0 mission here today.

Sani Araby said the Malaysian delegation was expected to undergo a thorough medical examination at Türkiye Hospital following reports that some activists had been beaten and sustained injuries.

He said the Malaysian activists were expected to fly home on May 23 (Saturday) and arrive at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on May 24.

He also expressed appreciation for the concern and continued commitment of Anwar, Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, Communications Minister Datuk Seri Fahmi Fadzil and Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari in securing the release of the 29 Malaysians.

“This includes efforts to strategically mobilise international diplomatic channels for negotiations to ensure the safe return of all 29 Malaysians,” he said.

Sani Araby said the detention of the humanitarian activists had sparked international outrage and condemnation, expressed through official statements and demonstrations.

Countries including Turkiye, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, Australia and Portugal, as well as international organisations such as the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), United Nations (UN) and European Union (EU), condemned the interception and detention of humanitarian flotilla activists in international waters.

“The global response to the incident is not limited to condemnation, but also includes international pressure in the form of potential economic and diplomatic sanctions, legal action, issuance of warrants and diplomatic notes against Israel.

“Due to unexpected and increasingly widespread pressure, the regime, which had initially planned to detain them for a long period at Ketziut prison, was forced to release all activists unconditionally,” Sani Araby said.

Yesterday, SNCC confirmed that all 50 vessels in the GSF 2.0 mission, carrying 428 humanitarian activists from 40 countries, were intercepted by Israeli forces in international waters, about 80 nautical miles off the Gaza coast. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • PM Anwar pledges commitment to secure release of Gaza flotilla activists, says SNCC
    SEPANG, May 21 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has given his assurance and full commitment to lead efforts through bilateral ties to secure the immediate release of Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 humanitarian activists detained by Israel.Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) director-general Datuk Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the commitment was conveyed by the prime minister to SNCC during a telephone conversation today.“The prime minister is leadi
     

PM Anwar pledges commitment to secure release of Gaza flotilla activists, says SNCC

21 May 2026 at 07:27

Malay Mail

SEPANG, May 21 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has given his assurance and full commitment to lead efforts through bilateral ties to secure the immediate release of Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0 humanitarian activists detained by Israel.

Sumud Nusantara Command Centre (SNCC) director-general Datuk Sani Araby Abdul Alim Araby said the commitment was conveyed by the prime minister to SNCC during a telephone conversation today.

“The prime minister is leading all efforts together with the Malaysian government by leveraging close bilateral relations and has been in close contact with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to press for the immediate release of all detained activists, ensure their safety and prevent them from being imprisoned at Ketziot Prison,” he said.

Speaking at a press conference on developments involving the GSF 2.0 mission here today, Sani Araby said SNCC was also informed by Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan that Wisma Putra had intensified diplomatic efforts with Turkiye and several other countries.

He said preparations had also been made involving Malaysian embassy representatives in Istanbul, Amman and Cairo to ensure the safety and release of Malaysians involved in the humanitarian flotilla mission.

Sani Araby said the incident had sparked international outrage and condemnation, including statements and demonstrations in Italy, Turkiye, Spain, France, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, South Korea, Australia and Portugal, as well as by international organisations.

“They also condemned the interception and detention of humanitarian flotilla activists in international waters,” he said.

He said SNCC called on Malaysians to continue strengthening solidarity through special prayers, Qunut Nazilah, national prayer gatherings, as well as sustained diplomatic pressure and advocacy until all humanitarian delegates are released.

Yesterday, SNCC confirmed that all 50 vessels under the GSF 2.0 mission carrying 428 humanitarian activists from 40 countries were intercepted by the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) in international waters, about 80 nautical miles from the Gaza coast. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Israeli minister sparks outcry over video of bound flotilla activists
    ASHDOD, May 21 — Israel’s far-right national security minister posted a video yesterday showing detained activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla kneeling with their hands tied and foreheads on the ground, sparking international condemnation.The video, shared on X by firebrand minister Itamar Ben Gvir, was published after Israeli forces intercepted the flotilla’s vessels at sea and began detaining hundreds of foreign activists at the southern port of Ashdod.The video
     

Israeli minister sparks outcry over video of bound flotilla activists

21 May 2026 at 01:36

Malay Mail

ASHDOD, May 21 — Israel’s far-right national security minister posted a video yesterday showing detained activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla kneeling with their hands tied and foreheads on the ground, sparking international condemnation.

The video, shared on X by firebrand minister Itamar Ben Gvir, was published after Israeli forces intercepted the flotilla’s vessels at sea and began detaining hundreds of foreign activists at the southern port of Ashdod.

The video drew swift international uproar and Ben Gvir was criticised by Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Gideon Saar.

Captioned “Welcome to Israel”, the footage shows dozens of activists forced to kneel with their hands tied and foreheads on the ground. At some points, the Israeli national anthem can be heard playing in the background.

The footage also shows Ben Gvir heckling and waving an Israeli flag among the detained activists.

Ben Gvir drew the ire of Netanyahu, who said the minister’s conduct with the activists was “not in line with Israel’s values and norms”, adding that authorities would deport the activists “as soon as possible”.

US ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee denounced what he said were the national security minister’s “despicable actions”.

“Universal outrage & condemnation from every high-ranking Israeli official... for despicable actions by Ben Gvir. Flotilla was stupid stunt, but Ben Gvir betrayed dignity of his nation,” Huckabee wrote on X.

European Commissioner Hadja Lahbib also criticised Ben Gvir, saying on X that “no one should be punished for defending humanity” while Belgium and France summoned the Israeli ambassadors in their capitals over what Paris called his “unacceptable actions”.

Around 50 vessels under the Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel’s blockade of Gaza, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities had said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while the Adalah rights group said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

‘Disgraceful display’ 

Israel’s foreign minister Saar said Ben Gvir had “knowingly caused harm to our State in this disgraceful display — and not for the first time”.

Ben Gvir hit back, saying: “I am proud to be the minister in charge of the organisations that operated today against those supporters of terror.”

“Yes, there will be all sorts of pictures that Gideon Saar does not like, but I think they are a great source of pride,” he added at parliament.

Non-profit legal group Adalah also criticised Israeli authorities over the video.

“Israel is employing a criminal policy of abuse and humiliation against activists seeking to confront Israel’s ongoing crimes against the Palestinian people,” the group, whose lawyers went to the detention centre to meet the detainees, said in a statement.

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Poland and Turkey also condemned the incident with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney calling the treatment of civilians onboard the flotilla “abominable” and saying the Israeli ambassador would be summoned.

Ireland’s Foreign Minister Helen McEntee said she was “appalled and shocked” by the video and demanded the immediate release of the activists, who include the sister of President Catherine Connolly.

‘Malicious scheme’ 

Netanyahu had earlier denounced the flotilla as “a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza”.

Hamas, which now controls less than half of Gaza and whose attack on Israel on October 7, 2023 sparked the war in the Palestinian territory, said the footage was evidence of Israeli leaders’ “moral depravity and sadism”.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, the territory suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported. — AFP

❌
Subscriptions