Reading view

Decomposed body found in locked Proton Wira parked for days in Baling

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 23 — Firefighters were called to Jalan Jerat Cina in Tawar, Baling, today to force open a locked Proton Wira after a person was found deceased inside.

It is understood the victim was discovered in the front passenger seat.

According to Berita Harian, Baling Fire and Rescue Station chief Assistant Fire Superintendent Zulkhairi Mat Tanjil said firefighters received a request for special assistance at about 12.15pm.

“The operation involved using special equipment to break the car window and unlock the vehicle,” he said.

He added that members of the public had informed authorities that the car had been parked along the road since Thursday.

“The victim was later handed over to the police for further action,” he said.

Zulkhairi said the victim has yet to be identified, adding that a strong foul smell was detected near the car.

The operation concluded at about 2.25pm after the case was handed over to police.

  •  

Man pleads not guilty in Kedah to using other individuals’ MyKad numbers to buy subsidised petrol

Malay Mail

BALING, May 20 — A man pleaded not guilty at the Magistrate’s Court here today to 13 charges of using other people’s identity card numbers to purchase Budi Madani RON95 (Budi95) petrol in this district.

Azman Aziz, 53, was accused of impersonating others by using the identity card numbers of three individuals to purchase 594.459 litres of subsidised petrol under the Budi Madani scheme, causing the complainants to lose their monthly subsidised fuel quotas.

He was alleged to have committed the offences at the Padang Lengkuas BH Petrol station in the Baling district between March 18 and April 23 and charged under Section 416 of the Penal Code, which carries a punishment of up to seven years’ imprisonment, a fine, or both upon conviction.

The prosecution was conducted by deputy public prosecutor Nurul Nadia Jamal, while National Legal Aid Foundation lawyer Masniah Dolah represented the accused.

Sessions Court Judge Rohaida Ishak, acting as Magistrate, allowed the accused bail of RM15,000 and set July 8 for case mention. — Bernama 

 

 

  •  

Kedah school bus driver turns to funeral transport work after losing students, vehicle seized by JPJ

Malay Mail

BALING, May 17 — A 73-year-old school bus driver in Kedah was forced to turn his vehicle into a paid passenger transport service after struggling to find students to ferry over the past two years, leading to the bus being seized by the Road Transport Department (JPJ) for allegedly misusing its permit.

The school bus was detained during an operation by Kedah JPJ at the Gurun toll exit near here today after it was found carrying 26 passengers from Taman Intan, Sungai Petani, to Bukit Jenun, Pendang, to attend a funeral ceremony.

Kedah JPJ director Stien Van Lutam said investigations found that the bus had not been transporting schoolchildren for the past two years due to a lack of demand.

“The situation led the driver, who is also the bus owner, to take up paid passenger transport services from one destination to another,” he said during a press conference at the Kuala Ketil JPJ Enforcement Station today.

Although the vehicle had valid insurance coverage and road tax, Van Lutam said it had breached the conditions of its operator’s licence by carrying passengers other than school students.

According to him, the bus was seized under Section 80(1) of the Land Public Transport Act 2010 for allegedly committing an offence under Section 22(3) of the same Act.

“The bus fulfilled all requirements, including having valid insurance and road tax, but it violated the operator’s licence conditions by carrying passengers other than school students,” he said.

The elderly driver was also brought in to have his statement recorded.

Meanwhile, Van Lutam said the Kedah JPJ is intensifying several enforcement operations to reduce road accidents and improve compliance among motorists in the state ahead of the festive season.

He said the Hari Raya Aidiladha Special Operation 2026 would run from May 24 to 31, with monitoring and enforcement activities focusing on strategic locations and accident-prone areas.

At the same time, the Kedah JPJ is continuing Op Luxury, which targets luxury vehicle owners found violating road regulations.

“From July 1 last year until now, a total of 23 luxury vehicles have been seized in Kedah through the operation,” he said.

Among the vehicles seized were high-end models such as the Porsche Cayenne, Mini Countryman and Mercedes-Benz A250 Sport. — Bernama

 

  •  

Baling mechanic claims trial to illegal possession of firearms

Malay Mail

BALING, May 13 — A mechanic was charged at the Sessions and Magistrate’s Courts here today with five counts of possessing firearms, ammunition and an imitation weapon recently.

Mohd Shahifuldin Mohd Shahiran, 46, pleaded not guilty to all charges read before Sessions Court Judge Rohaida Ishak, who also sat as magistrate.

According to the first and second charges, he was accused of possessing a Colt UTC/TIC .45 calibre pistol and a magazine, as well as a Brazil-made Forjas Taurus S.A PT 24/7 9-millimetre pistol and a magazine without a valid licence or permit.

He was alleged to have committed both offences at a car repair workshop in Kampung Siput Siong here at 12.30 am on May 1 under Section 8 of the Firearms (Increased Penalties) Act 1971, which carries a maximum jail term of 14 years and not less than six strokes of the cane upon conviction.

For the third charge, Mohd Shahifuldin was accused of possessing a black imitation pistol made in Taiwan without lawful reason at the same date, time and place.

The charge was framed under Section 36 of the Arms Act 1960, which carries a maximum jail sentence of one year or a fine of up to RM5,000 or both, upon conviction.

Meanwhile, at the Magistrate’s Court, he faced two additional charges of possessing two air rifle barrels and 19 rounds of gold and silver-coloured ammunition without a valid licence or permit at the same location, time and date.

Both charges were brought under Section 8(a) of the Firearms Act 1960, which provides for a maximum jail term of seven years or a maximum fine of RM10,000 or both, upon conviction.

The prosecution was conducted by deputy public prosecutor Nurul Nadia Jamal, while the accused was represented by National Legal Aid Foundation (YBGK) lawyer Intan Nursyafina Baharudin.

The court denied bail for the accused and fixed July 12 for mention of the case. — Bernama

 

  •  
❌