Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappé Among Athletes Fronting Monopoly and Panini Trading Cards World Cup Team Up

PARIS, May 23 — In 1970 it was the introduction of yellow and red cards. In 2018 VAR made its World Cup debut, while in Qatar in 2022 a Fifa directive to referees led to huge extensions to the amount of stoppage time played in games.
So what can we expect to see at this year’s World Cup in North America?
Hydration breaks
Pauses to allow players to take on fluids have been regularly seen in games played in hot conditions, but they have never been introduced as a compulsory element of every match at a World Cup.
That will change this year, with Fifa bringing in three-minute hydration breaks midway through each half — regardless of the weather, even for matches played in cool conditions or under a closed roof.
“There will be no weather or temperature condition in place, with the breaks being called by the referee in all games, to ensure equal conditions for all teams, in all matches,” football’s world governing body said.
Fifa puts the introduction of hydration breaks down to a commitment to player welfare, but cynics might say the decision to effectively split matches into four quarters resembles the way some leading US sports are played and suits American broadcasters who might take advantage by selling advertising during the breaks in action.
VAR to review corners, second yellows
The video assistant referee system was initially introduced to review possible clear and obvious errors in relation to goals, penalty incidents, straight red cards and cases of mistaken identity.
Earlier this year, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), which determines the laws of the game, announced that it would allow VAR’s scope to be extended to cover second yellow cards and corners in time for the World Cup.
That means a review can now take place if a player is sent off for a second booking, as well as straight red card incidents.
VAR will also be able to review a “clearly incorrectly awarded corner” so long, the IFAB says, as “the review can be completed immediately and without delaying the restart”.
Countdowns for goal-kicks, substitutions
Countdowns will be introduced for goal-kicks, throw-ins and substitutions in an attempt to discourage time-wasting.
If a player takes too long, possession will switch to the opposition, meaning a goal-kick could become a corner, or a throw-in would change hands.
This comes after the recent introduction of the eight-second time limit imposed on goalkeepers when they have the ball, which sees a corner given against them if they take too long.
“If the referee considers that a throw-in or goal kick is taking too long or is being deliberately delayed, a five-second visual countdown will be initiated,” said the IFAB.
Meanwhile, players will have 10 seconds to leave the field once their number is shown on the substitute board.
If they fail to do so, they must still leave the field immediately, but the substitute will not be allowed on until the next stoppage in play, after at least one minute of play has elapsed.
Players who receive treatment for an injury, or where their injury causes play to be stopped, must leave the field for one minute before being allowed back on.
Red cards for covering mouths
Players who cover their mouths “in a confrontational situation with an opponent” can now be shown a red card, Fifa said last month.
The announcement came after an incident during a Uefa Champions League game in February when Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni covered his mouth while speaking to Vinicius Junior of Real Madrid.
Prestianni was accused of racist abuse and later received a six-match ban “for discriminatory (i.e. homophobic) conduct”.
In addition, Fifa said officials would be allowed to show a red card to any player who leaves the field of play in protest at a decision.
“This new rule will also apply to any team official who incites players to leave the field of play,” Fifa added. “A team that causes a match to be abandoned will, in principle, forfeit the match.”
January’s Africa Cup of Nations final was marred when Senegal players walked off in protest at a penalty awarded to Morocco.
The players eventually returned and Senegal won the match, but the Confederation of African Football later stripped them of the title, saying “that the champions had infringed tournament regulations by walking off”. — AFP



SINGAPORE, May 16 — Football fever is getting a tail-wagging twist in Singapore as fans count down to this year’s Fifa World Cup in June.
Sportswear giant Adidas is giving pet lovers in the city-state a novel way to show team spirit — football shirts for their four-legged friends.
The company’s first pet collection in Singapore swaps the usual squeaky toys and chew bones for mini-football fashion, including pint-sized jerseys of Japan and reigning world champions Argentina.
The pet kit is on sale at a pop-up store in the city’s Clarke Quay district this weekend and next, and from May 24 at select Adidas stores and online.
The collection taps into two obsessions for residents in the affluent city-state: football and pets.
“By offering World Cup jerseys as part of the pet collection, we are giving fans a new way to express their love for the game and celebrate it as a shared family experience,” Chen Rui Yuan, Adidas country manager for Singapore, told AFP.
“Pets today are increasingly seen as part of the family and an extension of consumers’ lifestyles, especially among younger urban audiences.”
At a media preview today, dogs previously rescued from shelters and their owners strutted on a fashion runway, some wearing matching World Cup shirts.
“I think it’s a really great idea. I’m a big believer of pet adoption and rescuing dogs, so it’s really great that I have clothes that I can match with Mocha,” said lawyer Deryne Sim, 40, who wore Japan’s blue shirt with her dog Mocha.
“The World Cup is something that previously only humans enjoyed, like we can watch it on TV, we can go to the bar, we can hang out with friends.
“But now with these jerseys from Adidas, our dogs can join in too,” she told AFP.
Eleanor Tan, 61, came to the “furkids fiesta” event with her three bichon frises, all wearing Japan’s colours.
“It’s really a wonderful idea. A lot of people they love football jerseys. What more (if) a family member who is a dog also gets to wear the clothes as well,” she told AFP.
“The dogs accompany their parents to cheer for the same team. It’s wonderful. Watching football is like a family thing... they are family members as well.”
Businessman Sam Tan, 49, came to the event with his two daughters, both wearing the famous light blue and white stripes of Argentina, and their golden retriever Cloudy, was also garbed in the same kit.
He said he felt excited that as a family they can wear the same shirts.
“They (pets) should be treated better than what they used to do,” he told AFP.
Each pet jersey retails for SG$49 (about RM151).
“It’s really cool like if we have our friends and family over, we’re all shouting at the TV screen and watching football,” said Sim.
“It’ll be really great if our dogs can join in the fun as well.” — AFP
KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Malaysians will be able to watch all 104 matches of the 2026 Fifa World Cup through RTM and Unifi TV platforms, Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil confirmed today.
Speaking after the weekly Cabinet meeting, Fahmi said all matches from the expanded 48-team tournament would be available through RTM channels and streaming platform RTMKlik, alongside Unifi TV.
“In line with the announcement I made last week, I would like to announce that all 104 matches will be broadcast on RTM and Unifi TV,” he said today during his weekly briefing.
He also urged Malaysians to download the RTMKlik application to ensure they can watch the matches for free.
The 2026 World Cup, jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico, will be the first to feature 48 teams and 104 matches.
Last week, Fahmi announced RTM and Unifi TV had secured the local broadcast rights through a strategic collaboration involving several telecommunications firms and government-linked entities.
The minister said the collaboration was aimed at ensuring broader and more inclusive access for Malaysians across multiple viewing platforms, including free-to-air television through MyTV and online streaming via RTMKlik.
The tournament is scheduled to run from June 11 to July 19 across 16 host cities in North America.