Reading view

Fifa hails ‘constructive’ talks with Iran over 2026 World Cup participation

Malay Mail

PARIS, May 17 — Fifa secretary general Mattias Grafstrom described as “excellent” and “constructive” the meeting held on Saturday in Istanbul with the Iranian federation to ensure Iran’s participation in the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The Iranians are scheduled to be based and play all three of their group matches in the US in spite of the war currently being waged in the Middle East.

“We’ve had an excellent meeting, a constructive meeting together with the Iran FA,” said Grafstrom.

“I think we’re working closely together and looking very much forward to welcoming them to the World Cup.

“We’ve had the opportunity to discuss some of the operational matters, like we do with every member association.

“But I’m very happy that we were able to have this positive exchange, and both the Iran FA and Fifa are very happy with the meeting and looking forward to welcoming Team Melli in the USA, Canada and Mexico.”

The president of the Iranian Football Federation, Mehdi Taj, had said on Thursday that no visas had yet been issued for Iran’s team.

But he also described Saturday’s meeting as “positive and constructive” without going into details.

“We discussed our concerns and expressed our joint commitment to ensure the smooth participation of Team Melli,” he said.

The meeting, which was held at the headquarters of the Turkish Football Federation, comes as the Iranian team prepares to leave on Monday morning for a training camp in Turkey before heading to the United States.

Iran hope to play two friendlies in Antalya. They have already confirmed one match, against The Gambia, on May 29, said Sam Mehdizadeh, an Iranian-Canadian who heads a company that sets up friendlies for the team.

Iran have qualified for their fourth consecutive finals and, when the squad reaches the US, will set up their base camp in Tucson, Arizona.

They are due to kick off their World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, before facing Belgium in the same city and then Egypt in Seattle, in Group G. — AFP

  •  

Fifa officials to meet Iranian football association over World Cup participation concerns

Malay Mail

ZURICH, May 16 — Fifa Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom will meet Iranian FA (FFIRI) officials in Istanbul today and offer “reassurance” over Iran’s participation in the World Cup, a source familiar with the talks has told Reuters.

Iran are scheduled to play all three World Cup group matches in the US but the team’s participation in the June 11 to July 19 tournament has been in question since the US and Israel attacked Iran in late February.

More questions arose after FFIRI President Mehdi Taj was refused entry to Canada for the Fifa Congress in Vancouver earlier this month because of his links to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

Both the US and Canada, who are co-hosting the World Cup with Mexico, classify the IRGC as a “terrorist entity” and have made it clear they will not admit people with links to the elite military force.

Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs, said in a social media post this week that it was incumbent on Fifa to ensure that all teams and their delegations were able to get into the host countries.

“The Iranian national football team has earned its right to participate on the field in accordance with Fifa regulations,” he wrote.

“Any obstruction to the entry of players, technical staff, federation officials, or essential members of the Iranian delegation would violate the spirit and purpose of the World Cup ...

“If the organising body cannot guarantee that all qualified teams, including Iran, can enter the host country without discrimination or restriction and compete on equal terms, the credibility of the World Cup itself will be damaged.”

The source said Fifa was working closely with the relevant authorities to ensure all teams at the World Cup were able to compete in a safe and secure environment.

US President Donald Trump said two weeks ago that he was “okay” with Iran playing at the World Cup despite the conflict between the countries that was triggered by air strikes on the Islamic Republic.

Iran had asked that their World Cup matches be switched to Mexico but Fifa President Gianni Infantino insists that all games be played at the grounds originally scheduled.

The Iranian national team will leave Tehran for a training camp in Turkey on Monday before moving on to their US base at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona in early June.

Iran are scheduled to get their World Cup campaign underway against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. — Reuters

  •  
❌