Reading view

Johor Education Department calls for thorough probe into teacher involved in sexual misconduct

Malay Mail

JOHOR BAHRU, May 22 — The Johor Education Department has assured the public that it will not compromise on cases of sexual misconduct in educational institutions under its administration, following the latest case involving a teacher in the state.

In a statement, the department confirmed that several police reports have been lodged, including by the school, resulting in the teacher involved being remanded by police to assist in investigations.

The Johor Education Department also called on police to conduct a professional and thorough probe to enable legal action if the suspect is found guilty.

“During the course of the investigation, the teacher involved will be placed at the district education office.

“At the same time, the department will also work with the Social Welfare Department (JKM) to ensure that the pupil, who is the victim, is protected and her well-being is maintained," read the statement issued today.

The Johor Education Department also advised members of the public who have experienced such cases to lodge police reports.

It urged complainants not to withdraw their reports to allow further investigation and action to be taken by the authorities.

Earlier, police confirmed the arrest of a 28-year-old man at 10.30pm last night following allegations of sexual misconduct involving a 12-year-old primary schoolgirl.

The arrest came after a police report was lodged by the victim’s 37-year-old mother at 9pm last night. She claimed the incident was believed to have occurred in the Seri Alam area in Pasir Gudang last year.

Based on a widely circulated social media post by a whistleblower, the pupil had allegedly admitted to school authorities that she was involved in a sexual relationship with a male teacher at the school.

The allegations sparked public concern after complaints involving the teacher were reportedly lodged with police, education authorities and the Public Complaints Bureau since last year.

The suspect was later identified as a teacher’s assistant in his 20s who had previously been temporarily reassigned before returning to active teaching duties.

  •  

Hong Kong gov’t urged to make better arrangements for Tai Po fire victims to collect belongings

WFC returning

A survivor of the deadly Tai Po fire has urged the government to make better arrangements for residents to retrieve personal belongings and allow a longer time to visit their flats.

Jason Kong, a resident at the fire-ravaged Wang Fuk Court and former member of the estate owners’ corporation, told local media on Thursday that his family did not have enough time to search for, collect and pack all their personal belongings within the designated three hours.

Residents of Wang Fuk Court return to their homes on April 23, 2026, to collect what is left of their personal belongings after a massive blaze that killed 168 people in their housing estate. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Residents of Wang Fuk Court return to their homes on April 23, 2026, to collect what is left of their personal belongings after a massive blaze that killed 168 people in their housing estate. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

He talked with journalists after he returned to his flat at Wang Yan House with his wife and son on Thursday morning.

Kong and his family were among the residents of Wang Yan House, alongside those from Wang Cheong House, the worst-hit Wang Fuk Court block, who were allowed to enter their units on Thursday.

As it was dark inside, the family used torches as they searched for items, which made it more difficult to collect their belongings, he said.

Kong said the government should provide portable LED lights for residents. He also questioned why authorities did not repair some lifts of the residential buildings to make it easier for elderly residents.

Ming Pao reported that many elderly homeowners could not make it due to the difficulty of climbing stairs.

After waiting for nearly five months, Wang Fuk Court residents were allowed to return to their fire-scorched homes to retrieve personal belongings in batches starting on Monday until May 4.

Residents of Wang Sun House, Wang Fuk Court, carrying suitcases to pack their belongings in on April 20, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Residents of Wang Sun House, Wang Fuk Court, carry suitcases to pack their belongings on April 20, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

A total of 168 people were killed in the fire that engulfed seven of Wang Fuk Court’s residential towers in November. Wang Cheong House saw the highest casualties, with 81 deaths.

Another Wang Fuk Court resident, surnamed Lee, told InMedia on Monday that he felt like he was “begging” the government to return to his home.

“I would really love to know, after I return to my flat, how you could kick me out? Which Hong Kong laws could you use? This is my home! Don’t I have the right to stay there to pack my things?” he said in Cantonese.

The government said in February that residents would only be able to enter their homes once for a maximum of three hours, prompting widespread criticism.

Warner Cheuk, deputy chief secretary for administration, announced later that residents would be allowed to return to their homes more than once and to make multiple trips within the three-hour slot.

600 households apply for second visits

Cheuk told local media on Thursday that the government had received requests from around 600 households applying for a second visit to their Wang Fuk Court flats.

Deputy Chief Secretary for Administration Warner Cheuk attends a meeting to discuss the delay of a waste charging scheme at the Legislative Council, in Hong Kong, on May 27, 2024. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Deputy Chief Secretary for Administration Warner Cheuk. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

He said authorities would make arrangements for the second visits, but he did not disclose a timeline.

Because Wang Cheong House and Wang Tai House sustained severe damage, every household entering or leaving either building will be accompanied by a police officer, Cheuk said.

Each household visiting flats with fatalities will be accompanied throughout the entire process by a clinical psychologist from the Social Welfare Department and a social worker, he added.

  •  

Hong Kong pilot scheme sees 10 elderly social security recipients move to Guangdong care homes since Oct launch

Elderly people in Hong Kong.

A Hong Kong government pilot scheme to relocate elderly social security recipients to care homes in Guangdong province has seen 10 beneficiaries since its launch in October.

Elderly in Hong Kong. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Elderly residents in Hong Kong. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun revealed the figure in a written reply to a lawmaker last month, saying that the 10 elderly residents had moved to eight care homes across Guangdong as of early March.

A Legislative Council (LegCo) panel examined the pilot scheme on Tuesday. A government document submitted to the panel stated that only five applicants had been relocated to Guangdong as of February, with a total cost of HK$625,000.

The HK$128 million pilot programme, financed by the Community Care Fund, was launched in October to subsidise elderly recipients of the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) to reside in care homes in Guangdong.

Lawmaker Maggie Chan expressed concern over the low number of recipients.

Speaking at the LegCo panel on Tuesday, Sun said that the actual number of beneficiaries under the pilot scheme could be more than the February figures, without mentioning the more updated figures from March.

Nonetheless, he acknowledged that the number of successful relocations was “less than expected,” saying the government faced difficulties in persuading elderly residents to move to a new and unfamiliar place.

Sun said the scheme is designed to improve the lives of elderly residents, particularly those residing in private care homes with poor conditions or in substandard housing in the city.

Hong Kong Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun attends the first meeting of the eighth Legislative Council (LegCo) on January 14, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Hong Kong Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun attends the first meeting of the eighth Legislative Council (LegCo) on January 14, 2026. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

It targets elderly residents who rely on social security but are not entitled to publicly funded care homes in the city. However, they may be reluctant to change to a new environment despite the possible improvement in quality of life, Sun said.

“They know that the environment [in Guangdong] is really good… but it takes time for elderly people to change their habits,” he said in Cantonese.

“Their living conditions could improve significantly, but they still choose to stay in Hong Kong instead of moving there.”

Sun said the pilot scheme was still in its early stages and that authorities would review its efficacy again in six months.

Elderly in Hong Kong. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Elderly residents in Hong Kong. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

Annisa Ma, assistant director of social security at the Social Welfare Department, said the government would organise more activities, such as day trips, for elderly residents to get a taste of life in Guangdong and to dispel their doubts.

She added that the February cost of HK$625,000 covered “administrative fees” given to an agency responsible for assisting elderly residents interested in or benefited from the pilot scheme.

The pilot scheme has a quota of 1,000 elderly recipients, with each receiving a monthly subsidy of HK$5,000.

Sun also told the LegCo panel that the HK$6.9 billion Community Care Fund could operate for four more years without additional funding.

  •  
❌