Normal view

Rodrigo Paz announces changes in his government after denouncing an attempt at ‘destabilization’ before the OAS

21 May 2026 at 11:20

Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz put two proposals on the table on Wednesday to soothe the country after weeks of protests and road blockades. He announced ministerial changes “to get closer to the people” and proposed forming a Social Economic Council that would include the mobilized actors and serve as a negotiating bridge between the state, productive sectors, and social movements. Hours earlier, his government told the Organization of American States (OAS) that the protests besieging La Paz, the city that hosts the seat of government, aim to “generate institutional destabilization.” Paz received shows of support. The strongest came from Washington, which warned it would not remain indifferent if street violence escalates. “We will not allow criminals and drug traffickers to overthrow democratically elected leaders in our hemisphere,” U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on X on Wednesday.

Seguir leyendo

© LUIS GANDARILLAS (EFE)

Rodrigo Paz at a press conference in La Paz on Wednesday.
  • ✇El País in English
  • Washington describes protests in Bolivia as an attempted ‘coup d’état’ Macarena Vidal Liy
    The protests in Bolivia against the government of Rodrigo Paz — which began with a series of strikes earlier this month and have erupted into a nationwide movement, particularly in La Paz, the seat of government — represent an attempt at a “coup d’état.” That was the unequivocal statement made on Tuesday by U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Landau, after revealing that he had just spoken by phone with Bolivia’s conservative president.Seguir leyendo
     

Washington describes protests in Bolivia as an attempted ‘coup d’état’

20 May 2026 at 13:50

The protests in Bolivia against the government of Rodrigo Paz — which began with a series of strikes earlier this month and have erupted into a nationwide movement, particularly in La Paz, the seat of government — represent an attempt at a “coup d’état.” That was the unequivocal statement made on Tuesday by U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Landau, after revealing that he had just spoken by phone with Bolivia’s conservative president.

Seguir leyendo

© Juan Karita (AP Photo/Juan Karita)

Anti-government protests near El Alt, Bolivia, on May 16.
  • ✇El País in English
  • Bolivia orders arrest of Evo Morales for failing to appear at child trafficking trial Caio Ruvenal
    Bolivian Judge Carlos Oblitas declared former president Evo Morales (2006-2019) in contempt of court on Monday for failing to appear before the Tarija court where he is being tried for human trafficking, specifically for allegedly impregnating a 15-year-old girl while he was president. The court order includes an arrest warrant and a travel ban, as reported to the press by Supreme Court Justice Grover Mita. Morales’ legal team had already announced last week that their client would not appear, c
     

Bolivia orders arrest of Evo Morales for failing to appear at child trafficking trial

11 May 2026 at 18:55

Bolivian Judge Carlos Oblitas declared former president Evo Morales (2006-2019) in contempt of court on Monday for failing to appear before the Tarija court where he is being tried for human trafficking, specifically for allegedly impregnating a 15-year-old girl while he was president. The court order includes an arrest warrant and a travel ban, as reported to the press by Supreme Court Justice Grover Mita. Morales’ legal team had already announced last week that their client would not appear, considering the case a “political persecution” and alleging irregularities in the criminal proceedings.

Seguir leyendo

© Jorge Abrego (EFE)

Evo Morales during an event in Chimoré, Bolivia, on February 19.
❌
Subscriptions