Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • KK court orders man to enter defence in sexual assault case involving 17‑year‑old girl
    KOTA KINABALU, May 16 — The Sessions Court here has ordered a man to enter his defence on a charge of committing physical sexual assault against a teenage girl.Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan made the order on the 63-year-old after ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against him.The man allegedly touched the 17-year-old victim’s shoulder and kissed her lower lip in a lift of an apartment here at 9.30pm on April 1, 2024.The charge comes unde
     

KK court orders man to enter defence in sexual assault case involving 17‑year‑old girl

16 May 2026 at 04:25

Malay Mail

KOTA KINABALU, May 16 — The Sessions Court here has ordered a man to enter his defence on a charge of committing physical sexual assault against a teenage girl.

Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan made the order on the 63-year-old after ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against him.

The man allegedly touched the 17-year-old victim’s shoulder and kissed her lower lip in a lift of an apartment here at 9.30pm on April 1, 2024.

The charge comes under Section 14 (a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which provides for a jail term of up to 20 years and caning upon conviction.

The court fixed Sept 7-8 for the accused to answer his defence and extended bail of RM6,000 with two local sureties.

The prosecution had called seven witnesses to testify against the accused.

Deputy public prosecutor Bryan Francis handled the prosecution while the accused was represented by counsel Mohd Al Hafidz Mohd Lokman. — The Borneo Post

* If you are experiencing sexual violence, the following hotlines offer free and confidential support: Talian Kasih at 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999 (24/7); All Women’s Action Society at 016-2374221/016-2284221 (9.30am-5.30pm); and Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO) at 03-30008858 or SMS/WhatsApp TINA 018-9888058 (24/7)

 

MACC records once indicated insufficient evidence against Guan Eng in tunnel probe, court told

14 May 2026 at 09:37

Malay Mail

 

 

KUALA LUMPUR, May 14 — Earlier Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) investigation records into the Penang undersea tunnel project had indicated there was insufficient evidence against former Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng before further investigations were carried out in 2020, according to The Star.

According to the report, MACC investigating officer Zulhilmi Ramli told the Sessions Court today that he had initially joined a task force in early 2020 to review earlier statements and documents linked to the project following a complaint lodged in 2018.

During cross-examination by defence counsel Haijan Omar, Zulhilmi agreed that, based on the materials reviewed at the time, existing statements and documents in the investigation papers were insufficient and required further clarification.

He also agreed with a suggestion by the defence that, as of June 2020, there was insufficient evidence against Lim.

Zulhilmi reportedly said that he only took over as investigating officer in June 2020, after several earlier officers had handled different investigation papers relating to the project.

The witness also agreed that internal minutes or memos in the investigation papers contained references indicating there was “no case” against Lim at the time and that investigations had earlier been halted pending further developments.

However, Zulhilmi disagreed with the defence’s suggestion that the investigation was solely focused on Lim, maintaining that the probe involved multiple individuals linked to the Penang undersea tunnel and three main roads project, The Star reported. 

He told the court he had reviewed earlier investigation papers containing statements from several witnesses and that further clarification was later sought from some of them as part of continuing investigations.

Lim, 65, faces charges of using his position to obtain RM3.3 million in gratification linked to the project, as well as a second charge involving an alleged 10 per cent profit from the project.

He also faces two charges related to the disposal of Penang government land valued at RM208.8 million to companies linked to the project.

The trial before Sessions Court Judge Azura Alwi continues on June 4 and 5.

 

No insurance, no provocation, no warning: The victim’s side of the Kepong bak kut teh assault (VIDEO)

14 May 2026 at 09:32

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 14 — The victim of the now-viral assault at a Kepong bak kut the restaurant has spoken out for the first time, revealing that the brutal attack was completely unprovoked and has left him traumatised, in physical pain, and fearful for his family’s safety.

In a detailed account released through Kepong DAP, the entrepreneur, who has chosen to remain anonymous, recounted the moments leading up to the vicious assault.

He said he was quietly eating his meal when he heard a noise from a nearby table of men who were drinking.

“I looked up and saw some guys drinking, then turned away to continue eating,” he explained. He then heard someone shout in Cantonese, “What the f--- are you looking at?” but continued to ignore them as they were strangers.

“Then I felt something thrown towards me, which I now know to be ice cubes, and the next thing I know I was viciously attacked and punched for no apparent reason.”

The victim vehemently denied any suggestion that he had provoked his assailants.

“No, I did not provoke or scold or challenge them in any way whatsoever,” he stressed.

“I was in a daze after being punched and only tried to defend myself once after being viciously attacked. If I had challenged or fought back, I believe they would have killed me then.”

The attack left him with serious injuries to his head, forehead, eyes, neck, and back, requiring stitches. He is now suffering from persistent headaches, body pain, and occasional blurry vision. The psychological toll has been equally severe.

“I am now fearful for my life and my family’s safety. I am traumatised, having painful sleepless nights and do not dare to eat out alone,” he revealed.

His recovery involves consultations with multiple specialists, including a neurosurgeon, an orthopaedic surgeon, an ophthalmologist, and a psychiatrist for trauma.

He added that he is now burdened with expensive medical bills as he is not covered by medical insurance.

With the three suspects now arrested and charged in the Sessions Court, the victim’s hope is that the legal system will deliver a just outcome.

“I sincerely hope that justice will be served and that these individuals do not get away,” he said.

“This will help prevent the same incident from happening to other innocent people in Malaysia while enjoying a simple meal outside.”

Earlier today, Wong Weng Luen, 49; Lai Kae Bin, 33; and Wan Ken Fei, 30, were charged with causing grievous hurt to the victim of the attack. Each is liable to up to 20 years in prison, a fine, and caning upon conviction.

 

❌
Subscriptions