Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Man arrested in Johor after viral post alleges sexual abuse of 12-year-old pupil Ben Tan
    JOHOR BAHRU, May 22 — Police have arrested a 28-year-old man following a widely circulated social media post alleging the sexual abuse of a schoolgirl in Seri Alam near here.Acting Johor police chief Deputy Commissioner Hoo Chuan Huat said authorities detected the viral Facebook post under the account “Mohd Fadli Salleh” yesterday.“Police then received a report at 9pm yesterday from the victim's 37-year-old mother, who claimed that the incident occurred last year
     

Man arrested in Johor after viral post alleges sexual abuse of 12-year-old pupil

22 May 2026 at 03:19

Malay Mail

JOHOR BAHRU, May 22 — Police have arrested a 28-year-old man following a widely circulated social media post alleging the sexual abuse of a schoolgirl in Seri Alam near here.

Acting Johor police chief Deputy Commissioner Hoo Chuan Huat said authorities detected the viral Facebook post under the account “Mohd Fadli Salleh” yesterday.

“Police then received a report at 9pm yesterday from the victim's 37-year-old mother, who claimed that the incident occurred last year in the Seri Alam area.

“Acting on information, a team from the Seri Alam district police headquarters Criminal Investigation Department (CID) arrested the suspect at 10.30pm on the same day,” he said in a statement today.

Hoo said a drug screening conducted on the suspect returned negative for narcotics abuse, while checks showed he had no prior criminal record.

He added that investigators had initiated a remand application against the suspect under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) at the Johor Baru court today.

Police have classified the case under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which criminalises physical sexual assault against a child where an offender, for a sexual purpose, touches any part of a child’s body.

The offence carries a jail term of up to 20 years and whipping upon conviction.

Yesterday, police said they were investigating allegations of sexual abuse involving a primary school teacher in Masai near Pasir Gudang.

Based on the widely circulated social media post, the 12-year-old pupil had allegedly admitted to school authorities that she was involved in a sexual relationship with a male teacher at the school.

The allegations sparked public concern after complaints involving the teacher were reportedly lodged with police, education authorities and the Public Complaints Bureau since last year.

The suspect was later identified as a teacher’s assistant in his 20s who had previously been temporarily reassigned before returning to active teaching duties.

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Children’s home caregiver gets 11 years behind bars, five strokes for abusing two young boys
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 21 — A caregiver at a children’s welfare home was sentenced by the Ampang Sessions Court today to 11 years’ imprisonment and five strokes of the cane after pleading guilty to six charges involving sexual offences and unnatural sex against two boys earlier this year.Judge Norshila Kamarudin ordered Retna Velu, 25, to serve the prison sentences concurrently from the date of his arrest on April 3, 2026.The court imposed one stroke of the cane for e
     

Children’s home caregiver gets 11 years behind bars, five strokes for abusing two young boys

21 May 2026 at 09:49

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 21 — A caregiver at a children’s welfare home was sentenced by the Ampang Sessions Court today to 11 years’ imprisonment and five strokes of the cane after pleading guilty to six charges involving sexual offences and unnatural sex against two boys earlier this year.

Judge Norshila Kamarudin ordered Retna Velu, 25, to serve the prison sentences concurrently from the date of his arrest on April 3, 2026.

The court imposed one stroke of the cane for each of the first five charges, while no whipping sentence was imposed for the offence under Section 15(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017.

In addition, the judge ordered the accused to undergo counselling throughout his imprisonment and placed him under police supervision for two years upon completion of his sentence.

Under three charges, the man was accused of committing unnatural sex against two boys aged eight and 10 years and five months at a care centre in Batu Caves between February and March 2026.

The charges were framed under Section 377C of the Penal Code, which carries a jail term of between five and 20 years, and whipping.

Retna also faced two charges of committing physical sexual assault against the same victims at the same location in March 2026 under Sections 14(a) and 14(b) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which provide for a maximum prison sentence of 20 years and whipping.

For another charge, he was accused of committing non-physical sexual assault against the 10-year-and-five-month-old victim at the same location and during the same period under Section 15(a)(i) of the same Act, which carries a maximum jail term of 10 years, a fine of up to RM20,000, or both.

Earlier, the mother of the eight-year-old victim said in her victim impact statement that her child had become withdrawn and fearful of speaking to or interacting with others following the incident.

“I received complaints from the school that my child’s academic performance had deteriorated and he often appeared tired. However, teachers at the school provided counselling and he now seems to be improving,” she said.

Meanwhile, the aunt of the 10-year-and-five-month-old victim said her nephew remained emotionally unstable, fearful of strangers, especially men, and frequently spoke to family members about the traumatic incident.

Deputy public prosecutors Nadiah Malek Fauzie and Muhammad Hairul Iqram Hairuddin urged the court to impose a heavy sentence as a lesson to others, taking into account public interest and the deep psychological impact on the victims.

“The prosecution also sought separate prison sentences for all six charges, as well as a police supervision order and counselling throughout the imprisonment period,” Nadiah said.

Retna, who was unrepresented, appealed for a lighter sentence.

Also present as watching brief counsel for the complainants and Selangor-based Pertubuhan Kebangkitan Tiga Tangan were S. Kirthen and S. Premila.

The man still faces nine similar charges involving different victims before Ampang Sessions Court judge Ho Kwong Chin, with sentencing set for June 4. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • KK court orders man to enter defence in sexual assault case involving 17‑year‑old girl
    KOTA KINABALU, May 16 — The Sessions Court here has ordered a man to enter his defence on a charge of committing physical sexual assault against a teenage girl.Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan made the order on the 63-year-old after ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against him.The man allegedly touched the 17-year-old victim’s shoulder and kissed her lower lip in a lift of an apartment here at 9.30pm on April 1, 2024.The charge comes unde
     

KK court orders man to enter defence in sexual assault case involving 17‑year‑old girl

16 May 2026 at 04:25

Malay Mail

KOTA KINABALU, May 16 — The Sessions Court here has ordered a man to enter his defence on a charge of committing physical sexual assault against a teenage girl.

Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan made the order on the 63-year-old after ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against him.

The man allegedly touched the 17-year-old victim’s shoulder and kissed her lower lip in a lift of an apartment here at 9.30pm on April 1, 2024.

The charge comes under Section 14 (a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which provides for a jail term of up to 20 years and caning upon conviction.

The court fixed Sept 7-8 for the accused to answer his defence and extended bail of RM6,000 with two local sureties.

The prosecution had called seven witnesses to testify against the accused.

Deputy public prosecutor Bryan Francis handled the prosecution while the accused was represented by counsel Mohd Al Hafidz Mohd Lokman. — The Borneo Post

* If you are experiencing sexual violence, the following hotlines offer free and confidential support: Talian Kasih at 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999 (24/7); All Women’s Action Society at 016-2374221/016-2284221 (9.30am-5.30pm); and Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO) at 03-30008858 or SMS/WhatsApp TINA 018-9888058 (24/7)

 

❌
Subscriptions