Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Ex-Perlis MB’s son acquitted of false claims charge involving RM19,000 Malay Mail
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 19 — The Sessions Court in Kangar, Perlis, today acquitted and discharged former Perlis Menteri Besar Mohd Shukri Ramli’s son, Mohd Syafeeq Mohd Shukri, 37, of a charge involving the submission of a false claim worth more than RM19,000, without calling for his defence.According to a report published by Berita Harian, Judge Datuk Nu’aman Mahmud Zuhudi made the ruling after finding that the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case ag
     

Ex-Perlis MB’s son acquitted of false claims charge involving RM19,000

19 May 2026 at 05:58

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 19 — The Sessions Court in Kangar, Perlis, today acquitted and discharged former Perlis Menteri Besar Mohd Shukri Ramli’s son, Mohd Syafeeq Mohd Shukri, 37, of a charge involving the submission of a false claim worth more than RM19,000, without calling for his defence.

According to a report published by Berita Harian, Judge Datuk Nu’aman Mahmud Zuhudi made the ruling after finding that the prosecution had failed to establish a prima facie case against the accused at the close of the prosecution’s case.

In delivering the judgment, Nu’aman said the court’s role at the end of the prosecution stage was to determine whether a prima facie case had been proven.

He said the court examined two main issues throughout the trial, namely the testimony and verification of witnesses regarding the case evidence, as well as whether the accused qualified as an agent.

“Therefore, after examining the testimonies of the witnesses, the court finds that the prosecution failed to establish a prima facie case for the charge.

“The accused is discharged and acquitted without being called to enter his defence, and the bail money is to be returned,” he said.

Meanwhile, defence counsel Mohd Fadhly Yaacob said the decision marked the end of his client’s two-year struggle to clear both his and his family’s name.

“This acquittal also clears the family’s name, as well as that of the former Perlis menteri besar, which had previously been affected.

“We are deeply grateful that after 11 prosecution witnesses gave convincing testimony, the court carefully considered all the facts and legal issues before deciding to acquit Syafeeq,” he said.

At the same time, Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Fariz Abdul Hamid said the prosecution would file a notice of appeal within 14 days to seek a review of the ruling.

According to the charge sheet, Mohd Syafeeq was accused of submitting a document containing false particulars involving a Perlis state government service supply order with the intention of deceiving authorities over a claim amounting to RM19,505.10 on February 14, 2024.

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Former Sabah Water Dept director found guilty of money laundering, wife and deputy acquitted
     KOTA KINABALU, May 19 — The Sessions Court here has found former Sabah Water Department director Ag Mohd Tahir Mohd Talib guilty of 12 charges of money laundering.Judge Abu Bakar Manat has allowed a short stand down for the prosecution and defence to prepare mitigation for Ag Mohd Tahir before passing sentence.Two others — Ag Mohd Tahir’s wife Fauziah Piut and former deputy director Lim Lam Beng @ Lim Chee Hong — were discharged and acquitted of all their charge
     

Former Sabah Water Dept director found guilty of money laundering, wife and deputy acquitted

19 May 2026 at 05:36

Malay Mail

 

KOTA KINABALU, May 19 — The Sessions Court here has found former Sabah Water Department director Ag Mohd Tahir Mohd Talib guilty of 12 charges of money laundering.

Judge Abu Bakar Manat has allowed a short stand down for the prosecution and defence to prepare mitigation for Ag Mohd Tahir before passing sentence.

Two others — Ag Mohd Tahir’s wife Fauziah Piut and former deputy director Lim Lam Beng @ Lim Chee Hong — were discharged and acquitted of all their charges.

Fauziah had 19 charges while Lim faced four charges. — The Borneo Post

MORE TO COME

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Prosecution submits 45 documents to defence in ex‑army chief and wife’s money‑laundering case
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — A total of 45 documents, including recorded conversations and bank account statements, have been handed over to the defence in the money laundering case involving former Army Chief Tan Sri Muhammad Hafizuddeain Jantan and his wife, Salwani Anuar.Deputy Public Prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat informed the Sessions Court today that the documents were submitted in accordance with Section 51A of the Criminal Procedure Code, with three more sets e
     

Prosecution submits 45 documents to defence in ex‑army chief and wife’s money‑laundering case

18 May 2026 at 08:09

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — A total of 45 documents, including recorded conversations and bank account statements, have been handed over to the defence in the money laundering case involving former Army Chief Tan Sri Muhammad Hafizuddeain Jantan and his wife, Salwani Anuar.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat informed the Sessions Court today that the documents were submitted in accordance with Section 51A of the Criminal Procedure Code, with three more sets expected to be handed over in stages within the next one to two months.

Lawyers Aizul Rohan Anuar and Fahmi Abd Moin, representing the couple, confirmed receipt of the documents, while Judge Azura Alwi fixed June 25 for the next case mention.

Also appearing for the prosecution in the case are deputy public prosecutors Farah Yasmin Salleh and Natrah Fareha Rahmat.

On January 22, Muhammad Hafizuddeain, 58, was charged at the Sessions Court here on four counts of receiving proceeds from illegal activities totalling RM969,000, RM474,850, RM488,550 and RM190,000, which were deposited into three bank accounts belonging to him.

All the offences were allegedly committed at three banks, involving three different locations, namely at Jalan Melaka, Bukit Damansara and the city centre here, between February 2 2024 and November 7 2025.

On the same date, Salwani, 27, was charged with four counts of receiving money from unlawful activities amounting to RM50,000, RM7,000, RM10,000 and RM10,000, which were deposited into a company bank account at a bank branch in Damansara Heights, Wisma UOA II here, between November 24, 2024, and November 25, 2025.

On January 23, Muhammad Hafizuddeain was charged at the Shah Alam Sessions Court on two counts of receiving proceeds from unlawful activities, namely RM115,000 and RM30,000 deposited into his bank account at a bank branch in Ampang Point, Ampang, between February 2, 2024 and May 19, 2025.

Salwani was also charged at the Kuala Terengganu Sessions Court on January 26 on a charge of receiving RM5,000, which was alleged proceeds from unlawful activities deposited into her bank account at a bank branch in Jertih near Besut, on January 16, 2025.

All charges were brought under Subsection 4(1) (b) of the AMLATFPUAA and are punishable under Subsection 4 (1) of the same act. However, the cases faced by the couple in the Shah Alam and Kuala Terengganu Sessions Courts have been transferred to the Sessions Court here to be tried together. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Bung Moktar’s widow Zizie Izette to know fate over RM2.8m bribery charges on July 20
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — The Sessions Court has set July 20 to deliver its verdict on Datin Seri Zizie Izette Abdul Samad, who faces three corruption charges involving RM2.8 million linked to a RM150 million investment in Public Mutual Berhad unit trusts.Judge Rosli Ahmad set the date after hearing final submissions from both the prosecution and defence at the close of the defence case today.“The court sets July 20 for the decision. The parties must file any additi
     

Bung Moktar’s widow Zizie Izette to know fate over RM2.8m bribery charges on July 20

18 May 2026 at 05:40

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 18 — The Sessions Court has set July 20 to deliver its verdict on Datin Seri Zizie Izette Abdul Samad, who faces three corruption charges involving RM2.8 million linked to a RM150 million investment in Public Mutual Berhad unit trusts.

Judge Rosli Ahmad set the date after hearing final submissions from both the prosecution and defence at the close of the defence case today.

“The court sets July 20 for the decision. The parties must file any additional written submissions on or before June 9,” he said.

Zizie Izette, the widow of the late Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin, former Kinabatangan MP, faces three charges of conspiring with her husband to obtain RM2.8 million in cash bribes.

The defence team closed its case after Zizie Izette completed her testimony on March 5. Bung Moktar had testified on Sept 2, 2025, following the couple’s failed appeal against a Court of Appeal ruling that ordered them to enter their defence.

The Court of Appeal delivered that ruling on Nov 18, 2024, after allowing the prosecution’s appeal against the couple’s acquittal by the High Court.

However, on Jan 16 this year, the Sessions Court discharged Bung Moktar from all three charges following the prosecution’s decision to discontinue the case against the former lawmaker, who died on Dec 5, 2025.

Earlier, on Sept 2, 2022, Sessions Court Judge Rozina Ayob had ordered both Bung Moktar and Zizie Izette to enter their defence on all three charges, ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against them.

Zizie Izette, 47, is accused of conspiring with Bung Moktar, then non-executive chairman of Felcra Berhad, to obtain RM2.2 million in cash bribes from Madhi Abdul Hamid, a Public Mutual Berhad investment agent.

The alleged bribe was payment for her husband securing approval from the Second Finance Minister for Felcra Berhad to invest RM150 million in Public Mutual Berhad unit trust products. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • KK court orders man to enter defence in sexual assault case involving 17‑year‑old girl
    KOTA KINABALU, May 16 — The Sessions Court here has ordered a man to enter his defence on a charge of committing physical sexual assault against a teenage girl.Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan made the order on the 63-year-old after ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against him.The man allegedly touched the 17-year-old victim’s shoulder and kissed her lower lip in a lift of an apartment here at 9.30pm on April 1, 2024.The charge comes unde
     

KK court orders man to enter defence in sexual assault case involving 17‑year‑old girl

16 May 2026 at 04:25

Malay Mail

KOTA KINABALU, May 16 — The Sessions Court here has ordered a man to enter his defence on a charge of committing physical sexual assault against a teenage girl.

Judge Amir Shah Amir Hassan made the order on the 63-year-old after ruling that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against him.

The man allegedly touched the 17-year-old victim’s shoulder and kissed her lower lip in a lift of an apartment here at 9.30pm on April 1, 2024.

The charge comes under Section 14 (a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017, which provides for a jail term of up to 20 years and caning upon conviction.

The court fixed Sept 7-8 for the accused to answer his defence and extended bail of RM6,000 with two local sureties.

The prosecution had called seven witnesses to testify against the accused.

Deputy public prosecutor Bryan Francis handled the prosecution while the accused was represented by counsel Mohd Al Hafidz Mohd Lokman. — The Borneo Post

* If you are experiencing sexual violence, the following hotlines offer free and confidential support: Talian Kasih at 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999 (24/7); All Women’s Action Society at 016-2374221/016-2284221 (9.30am-5.30pm); and Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO) at 03-30008858 or SMS/WhatsApp TINA 018-9888058 (24/7)

 

MACC records once indicated insufficient evidence against Guan Eng in tunnel probe, court told

14 May 2026 at 09:37

Malay Mail

 

 

KUALA LUMPUR, May 14 — Earlier Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) investigation records into the Penang undersea tunnel project had indicated there was insufficient evidence against former Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng before further investigations were carried out in 2020, according to The Star.

According to the report, MACC investigating officer Zulhilmi Ramli told the Sessions Court today that he had initially joined a task force in early 2020 to review earlier statements and documents linked to the project following a complaint lodged in 2018.

During cross-examination by defence counsel Haijan Omar, Zulhilmi agreed that, based on the materials reviewed at the time, existing statements and documents in the investigation papers were insufficient and required further clarification.

He also agreed with a suggestion by the defence that, as of June 2020, there was insufficient evidence against Lim.

Zulhilmi reportedly said that he only took over as investigating officer in June 2020, after several earlier officers had handled different investigation papers relating to the project.

The witness also agreed that internal minutes or memos in the investigation papers contained references indicating there was “no case” against Lim at the time and that investigations had earlier been halted pending further developments.

However, Zulhilmi disagreed with the defence’s suggestion that the investigation was solely focused on Lim, maintaining that the probe involved multiple individuals linked to the Penang undersea tunnel and three main roads project, The Star reported. 

He told the court he had reviewed earlier investigation papers containing statements from several witnesses and that further clarification was later sought from some of them as part of continuing investigations.

Lim, 65, faces charges of using his position to obtain RM3.3 million in gratification linked to the project, as well as a second charge involving an alleged 10 per cent profit from the project.

He also faces two charges related to the disposal of Penang government land valued at RM208.8 million to companies linked to the project.

The trial before Sessions Court Judge Azura Alwi continues on June 4 and 5.

 

No insurance, no provocation, no warning: The victim’s side of the Kepong bak kut teh assault (VIDEO)

14 May 2026 at 09:32

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 14 — The victim of the now-viral assault at a Kepong bak kut the restaurant has spoken out for the first time, revealing that the brutal attack was completely unprovoked and has left him traumatised, in physical pain, and fearful for his family’s safety.

In a detailed account released through Kepong DAP, the entrepreneur, who has chosen to remain anonymous, recounted the moments leading up to the vicious assault.

He said he was quietly eating his meal when he heard a noise from a nearby table of men who were drinking.

“I looked up and saw some guys drinking, then turned away to continue eating,” he explained. He then heard someone shout in Cantonese, “What the f--- are you looking at?” but continued to ignore them as they were strangers.

“Then I felt something thrown towards me, which I now know to be ice cubes, and the next thing I know I was viciously attacked and punched for no apparent reason.”

The victim vehemently denied any suggestion that he had provoked his assailants.

“No, I did not provoke or scold or challenge them in any way whatsoever,” he stressed.

“I was in a daze after being punched and only tried to defend myself once after being viciously attacked. If I had challenged or fought back, I believe they would have killed me then.”

The attack left him with serious injuries to his head, forehead, eyes, neck, and back, requiring stitches. He is now suffering from persistent headaches, body pain, and occasional blurry vision. The psychological toll has been equally severe.

“I am now fearful for my life and my family’s safety. I am traumatised, having painful sleepless nights and do not dare to eat out alone,” he revealed.

His recovery involves consultations with multiple specialists, including a neurosurgeon, an orthopaedic surgeon, an ophthalmologist, and a psychiatrist for trauma.

He added that he is now burdened with expensive medical bills as he is not covered by medical insurance.

With the three suspects now arrested and charged in the Sessions Court, the victim’s hope is that the legal system will deliver a just outcome.

“I sincerely hope that justice will be served and that these individuals do not get away,” he said.

“This will help prevent the same incident from happening to other innocent people in Malaysia while enjoying a simple meal outside.”

Earlier today, Wong Weng Luen, 49; Lai Kae Bin, 33; and Wan Ken Fei, 30, were charged with causing grievous hurt to the victim of the attack. Each is liable to up to 20 years in prison, a fine, and caning upon conviction.

 

❌
Subscriptions