Reading view

Parents identify son in viral abuse video, leading to childminder’s arrest in Seremban

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 22 — A female childminder whose video went viral for allegedly beating and forcing a child to sit outside a house was arrested by police at her home in Sendayan, Seremban, last night.

Negeri Sembilan police chief Datuk Alzafny Ahmad said the boy’s parents identified him through the viral clip before alerting police.

“At about 8pm yesterday, the Seremban District Police Headquarters received a report regarding the abuse of a four-year-old boy,” he said in a statement today.

“The incident is believed to have taken place at a residential area in Seremban.

“The parents became aware of the abuse after watching a one-minute 15-second video clip circulating on social media.”

Alzafny said the video showed a woman hitting a young boy behind a house, and the child was identified by his parents.

“Initial investigations found that the victim had been sent by his parents to be cared for at the suspect’s house, located not far from their home, for about seven months,” he said.

He added that the child was later taken to Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital for further examination and treatment.

Acting on information received and investigations carried out, police arrested a 60-year-old woman at about 9.45pm at the scene to assist in investigations.

“An application to remand the suspect will be made at the Seremban court this morning to facilitate further investigations under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001,” he said.

Alzafny said police take child abuse seriously and urged the public not to speculate or spread unverified information that could affect investigations.

“Anyone with information related to the incident is urged to come forward and assist investigations by contacting investigating officer Inspector Kamarul Ariffin Kamaruzaman at 06-6033222,” he said.

  •  

Babysitter remanded six days over death of seven‑month‑old boy in Seremban

Malay Mail

SEREMBAN, May 21 — A babysitter detained to assist investigations into the death of a seven-month-old baby boy at a house in Bandar Sri Sendayan near here last Tuesday has been remanded for six days until May 25.

Seremban police chief ACP Azahar Abdul Rahim said the remand order against the 38-year-old woman began yesterday, and the case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001.

“The post-mortem results have yet to be obtained to determine the cause of the incident, and investigations are still ongoing,” he told Bernama here today.

Yesterday, the media reported that the baby was believed to have become unconscious while under the care of the babysitter at her house in Bandar Sri Sendayan.

The victim was taken to a nearby clinic before being sent to Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital for further treatment, but was pronounced dead after cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) efforts were carried out.

Investigations found that at the time of the incident, the baby was believed to have been put to sleep in a cradle and given a silicone pacifier.

Meanwhile, Negeri Sembilan Social Welfare Department (JKM) director Muhammad Yusry Che Dah said investigations found that the childcare centre was unregistered and operating without approval under the Child Care Centre Act 1984.

“Based on preliminary reports, several children were under the care of the woman, and we have ordered the premises to cease operations. Most cases involving the death or injury of children occur at unregistered babysitting homes and childcare centres,” he said.

He, therefore, advised parents to always choose registered childcare centres to ensure their children are cared for according to established regulations, while also preventing unwanted incidents from occurring.

“We want to educate the public to send their children to registered childcare centres because approved premises have undergone proper safety inspections and monitoring, not only by JKM but also by the Fire and Rescue Department, local authorities and others.

“Do not look only at cheaper costs because this involves children’s lives. Parents need to be more careful and take preventive measures from the beginning,” he said.

He also urged babysitters and childcare centre workers to attend the free Asuhan Permata course offered in the state to expose them to safe childcare methods and the handling of emergency situations.

Meanwhile, Azahar, in a statement today, said that a post-mortem conducted over nearly five hours at Hospital Rembau beginning at 11 am yesterday confirmed that there was pressure on the victim’s neck.

“Police are still awaiting the results of further tests. Investigations also found that the babysitter was not registered with any department and was providing childcare services privately for payment,” he said. — Bernama

 

  •  

Baby dies while asleep in caretaker’s cradle in Seremban

Malay Mail

 

SEREMBAN, May 21 — A seven-month-old baby boy died while sleeping in a cradle at a caretaker’s home in Bandar Sri Sendayan here on Tuesday, according to Sinar Harian.

Seremban police chief Assistant Commissioner Azahar Abdul Rahim said police received a report on the incident at 10pm.

He said the complainant informed police that they had received a call from the child’s caretaker saying the baby was unresponsive.

“The victim was then taken to a private clinic near Bandar Sri Sendayan and subsequently transferred to Hospital Tuanku Jaafar (HTJ) here by ambulance,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.

He said the doctor on duty attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) before the baby was pronounced dead.

Investigations found that the baby had been under the care of the babysitter since December 2025.

“At the time of the incident, the caretaker is believed to have put the baby to sleep in a cradle with a silicone pacifier in his mouth,” he was quoted as saying. 

He said the body has been sent to the forensic unit at Rembau Hospital for post-mortem to determine the cause of death, while the caretaker has been detained to assist investigations.

The case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001.

Police have urged the public not to speculate on the case as it may interfere with investigations.

 

  •  

Couple claims trial to charge of abusing 10‑year‑old nephew in Kota Bharu

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 17 — A married couple pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here today to a charge of abusing their nephew last April.

Wan Saiful Azuan Wan Idris, 31, and Yujas Nor Aida Jasmin Mohd Yusoff, 29, entered the plea after the charge was read out to them before Judge Zulkifli Abllah.

The couple was jointly charged with abusing a 10-year-old boy in a manner likely to cause physical injury at a house in Kampung Sungai Mas, Machang, at about 10pm on April 19.

The charge, framed under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, carries a maximum fine of RM50,000, imprisonment of up to 20 years, or both, upon conviction.

The court allowed bail of RM8,000 for each accused with one surety and fixed June 15 for mention and document submission. — Bernama

* If you suspect child abuse, call the following hotlines for free and confidential support: Talian Kasih at 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999 (24/7); Talian BuddyBear at 1800-18-2327(BEAR) (noon-midnight daily); and One Crisis Centre (24/7) Wilayah Persekutuan at 03-26155555 (Kuala Lumpur General Hospital), 03-61454333 (Sungai Buloh Hospital) or 03-83124200 (Putrajaya Hospital). 

  •  

Woman allegedly consumed weedkiller before giving it to one‑year‑old daughter, Port Dickson police say

Malay Mail

SEREMBAN, May 16 — A one-year-old girl was allegedly given weedkiller by her mother in an incident at a house in Bandar Sunggala, Telok Kemang, Port Dickson, on Thursday.

Port Dickson police chief Supt Maslan Udin said police received a report from Port Dickson Hospital at 11.50 pm stating that a 21-year-old Myanmar woman and her daughter had been admitted after both were believed to have ingested poison.

The incident is believed to have occurred at about 9 pm. Initial investigations found that the woman allegedly consumed the weedkiller first before giving the same substance, identified as ‘Protocol’, to her daughter.

“The incident is believed to have been triggered by emotional distress experienced by the woman since giving birth to the child,” he said in a statement today.

Maslan said both the mother and daughter were in stable condition and remained under observation at Port Dickson Hospital.

He said the child’s 29-year-old father, who is also a Myanmar national, had been detained to assist in the investigation.

The case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001 and Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder. — Bernama

* If you are lonely, distressed, or having negative thoughts, Befrienders offers free and confidential support 24 hours a day. A full list of Befrienders contact numbers and state operating hours is available here: www.befrienders.org.my/centre-in-malaysia. There are also free hotlines for young people: Talian Kasih at 15999 (24/7); Talian BuddyBear at 1800-18-2327(BEAR)(daily 12pm-12am); Mental Health Psychosocial Support Service (03-2935 9935 or 014-322 3392); and Jakim’s Family, Social and Community Care Centre (WhatsApp 0111-959 8214).

  •  

Taiping pair convicted as teens for killing girl’s brother remain under indefinite detention after court rejects bail bid

Malay Mail

PUTRAJAYA, May 16 — The Court of Appeal today dismissed applications by two former students, a boy and a girl, seeking a stay of execution and bail pending the hearing of their appeal.

They had appealed against a High Court decision that found them guilty of murder and ordered them to be detained at the pleasure of the Sultan of Perak.

Justice Datuk Ahmad Kamal Md Shahid, who chaired a three-member bench, ruled that the reasons advanced by both applicants did not constitute special or exceptional circumstances to justify granting bail.

Sitting with him were Justices Datuk Ong Chee Kwan and Datuk Seri Mohd Radzi Harun.

The two individuals were convicted by the Taiping High Court on Jan 13 this year for the murder of the second accused’s 17-year-old brother, identified only as SM.

The offence took place at a housing estate in Kamunting, Taiping, Perak, between 3 pm and 6 pm on July 5, 2019.

As the offenders were minors at the time, the High Court ordered that they be detained at the pleasure of the Ruler of Perak, pursuant to Section 97(2) of the Child Act 2001.

The boy was 15 years old and the girl was 14 years old when they committed the offence. They are now 22 and 21, respectively.

Both of them had been on bail throughout their trial until the High Court delivered its decision. 

They were previously granted bail of RM20,000 each with two sureties, subject to several conditions, including reporting to a police station twice a week, as well as restrictions on their movement and travel.

During the proceedings today, counsel Ahmad Faazil Rahman Saiful Jaafar Sadik, representing the male applicant, applied for a stay of execution and bail for his client, stating that his client had been pursuing studies in business administration and had already obtained a diploma.

He added that the applicant wished to continue his education and complete his degree, and that his continued detention would force him to abandon his studies.

Counsel for the female applicant, Nur Aida Md Zainuddin, who was assisted by co-counsel SK Loges Kesavan, said her client is now married and has a two-year-old child, whom she is still breastfeeding.

She said that following her client’s detention, the child was initially cared for by her biological parents, but, due to their ill health, is now being looked after by an aunt and uncle. She added that both her client’s husband and uncle are willing to act as bailors.

Nur Aida said the appeal is still pending before the Court of Appeal, with no date for case management fixed yet.

Deputy public prosecutor Zaki Asyraf Zubir opposed both applications, arguing that no special circumstances existed to justify bail.

High Court Judge Noor Ruwena Md Nurdin, in her grounds of judgment, had stated that there were premeditated acts and preparations made by the perpetrators to attack the deceased and incapacitate him before delivering the fatal blow.

According to the facts of the case, the deceased’s remains, wrapped in plastic, were found at the back door of a neighbour’s house.

Both of the deceased’s hands were tied. A forensic pathologist testified that the deceased died from excessive bleeding due to a stab wound to the neck. — Bernama

  •  

Sungai Petani cops probe claim 13-day-old baby suffered fractured thigh during jaundice treatment

Malay Mail

SUNGAI PETANI, May 13 — Police have confirmed receiving a report regarding allegations that a 13-day-old baby boy suffered a fractured thigh bone while receiving treatment for jaundice at a hospital in this district recently.

Kuala Muda police chief ACP Hanyan Ramlan said a police report was lodged by the baby’s father last Monday and investigations had since been initiated.

“We are still conducting further investigations into the matter. The case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001,” he told Bernama today.

Last Monday, the baby’s father, Muhammad Nor Fadly Mohd Shaidi, 38, was reported as saying that he and his wife, Nor Shahila Abd Hamid, 34, only became aware of the incident on Sunday evening after discovering that their baby’s right thigh had been bandaged.

He said when the baby was delivered via surgery on April 28, the infant was in normal condition and was able to move all limbs, including both legs, properly.

The incident later went viral on social media, including photographs showing the baby receiving treatment at the hospital. — Bernama 

  •  
❌