Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Agriculture Ministry: No reports of food shortages, supply sufficient until June despite global crisis
    KOTA BHARU, May 23 — The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security (KPKM) said it has, to date, not received any reports of food supply shortages, including during the festive season, amid the global supply crisis.KPKM deputy secretary-general (Development) Datuk Luqman Ahmad said that simulations conducted, taking into account unpredictable weather conditions, indicated that the country’s food supply would remain sufficient until June.“For the following month, K
     

Agriculture Ministry: No reports of food shortages, supply sufficient until June despite global crisis

23 May 2026 at 08:55

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 23 — The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security (KPKM) said it has, to date, not received any reports of food supply shortages, including during the festive season, amid the global supply crisis.

KPKM deputy secretary-general (Development) Datuk Luqman Ahmad said that simulations conducted, taking into account unpredictable weather conditions, indicated that the country’s food supply would remain sufficient until June.

“For the following month, KPKM has various approaches in place to ensure that supply stability is guaranteed.

“In the event of insufficient supply, we will bring in supplies from producing countries, as the majority of imported goods come from countries not involved in the West Asia crisis,” he told reporters at the Mega Agro Madani Sales Opening Ceremony at the Tunjong Rural Transformation Centre here today.

He also said the government, through the National Agrofood Policy 2.0, had allocated RM30 million per year to strengthen entrepreneurs, infrastructure development and food security initiatives implemented by KPKM.

Meanwhile, Luqman said the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority’s (Fama) Agro Madani Sales recorded encouraging performance, with sales amounting to RM101 million last year through 4,695 programmes held nationwide, benefiting over 6.89 million consumers.

“For this year up to May 17, a total of 561 programmes have been implemented, recording sales of RM8.5 million,” he said.

On the three-day event in Kelantan which began yesterday, Luqman said the ministry is targeting 50,000 visitors, with a projected sales value of RM750,000 involving 204 entrepreneurs.

He said 11,400 coupons worth RM5 each were distributed to visitors for the purchase of selected fresh products, including chicken, beef, fish, fruits and vegetables, as well as Madani combo deals and ‘happy hour’ promotions.

“Visitors also stand a chance to receive Agrobazaar Online vouchers worth RM5 and RM10 for purchases of RM15 and RM30 and above at the Fama booth.

“This initiative is seen as helping to ease the people’s cost of living while encouraging direct purchases from local entrepreneurs without involving middlemen,” he said. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Construction costs in Malaysia rise up to 15pc as diesel prices bite, says contractors group
    KOTA BHARU, May 21 — The increase in diesel prices has affected the construction industry, with building material costs currently rising by between 20 and 30 per cent, said the Malaysian Housing Contractors Association (PKPM).PKPM president Dr Muhsin Abdul Ghani said the situation has also led to construction costs rising by around 10 to 15 per cent compared with before, causing some customers to take a more cautious approach, including postponing plans to build
     

Construction costs in Malaysia rise up to 15pc as diesel prices bite, says contractors group

21 May 2026 at 08:59

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 21 — The increase in diesel prices has affected the construction industry, with building material costs currently rising by between 20 and 30 per cent, said the Malaysian Housing Contractors Association (PKPM).

PKPM president Dr Muhsin Abdul Ghani said the situation has also led to construction costs rising by around 10 to 15 per cent compared with before, causing some customers to take a more cautious approach, including postponing plans to build homes.

“There are some customers who panic and hit the brakes, while others remain positive and continue with their construction projects. When prices go up, they usually do not come down again.

“Rising construction costs have also pushed up house prices by around 10 to 15 per cent compared with before. In Kelantan, houses that previously cost around RM150 to RM160 per square foot to build have now risen to between RM170 and RM180 per square foot,” he told reporters at the PKPM Home Building Expo 2026 here today.

“In Kuala Lumpur, construction costs can reach between RM250 and RM300 per square foot, leading to a drop in sales of around 30 to 50 per cent,” he said, adding there are concerns that rising costs could create opportunities for scam syndicates promoting prices well below market value to lure buyers.

“Scammers are highly skilled at convincing customers through persuasive promotions, leaving buyers easily misled by cheap housing offers that risk becoming abandoned projects,” he said.

Muhsin said the association would propose that the government grant income tax exemptions to individuals building homes, as an incentive to support the construction sector. — Bernama

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Man found dead with knife in hand and multiple stab wounds in Kota Bharu bathroom Malay Mail
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 21 — A 28‑year‑old man was found dead with multiple stab wounds at a house on Jalan Masjid Baung Bayam in Kota Bharu yesterday.According to a report by Berita Harian, a family member discovered the victim in the bathroom at about 1pm.Kota Bharu district police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Azmir Damiri said the victim was found with a knife in his hand, adding that “there were two stab wounds on the chin, one on the neck and a small stab wou
     

Man found dead with knife in hand and multiple stab wounds in Kota Bharu bathroom

21 May 2026 at 08:35

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 21 — A 28‑year‑old man was found dead with multiple stab wounds at a house on Jalan Masjid Baung Bayam in Kota Bharu yesterday.

According to a report by Berita Harian, a family member discovered the victim in the bathroom at about 1pm.

Kota Bharu district police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Azmir Damiri said the victim was found with a knife in his hand, adding that “there were two stab wounds on the chin, one on the neck and a small stab wound on the victim’s abdomen.”

He said the victim’s aunt had entered the bathroom and saw blood on the floor before finding the man covered in blood with the knife still in his hand.

Mohd Azmir said the victim had no known medical history but had been involved in drug abuse over the past year while working in Johor.

He said the man had returned to his hometown on May 16 and that police found no signs of struggle or criminal elements at the scene.

He said a medical officer confirmed the victim’s death at 1pm and that the body was sent to the Forensic Unit of Hospital Raja Perempuan Zainab II for a post‑mortem.

He said the case has been classified as sudden death.

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Four labourers charged with murder, dumping disabled man’s body by roadside in Kelantan Malay Mail
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Two labourers were charged in the Magistrates’ Court in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, today with murdering a 20‑year‑old intellectually disabled man at a house in Kampung Binjai, Banggu last month.According to Kosmo! Online, the accused, Muhammad Hakim Zikrullah Mohd Zamran, 25, and Mohamed Eerman Daniel Mohamed Afrizal, 27, nodded in understanding after the charges were read before Magistrate Rais Imran Hamid.No plea was recorded as murder cases f
     

Four labourers charged with murder, dumping disabled man’s body by roadside in Kelantan

20 May 2026 at 04:33

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Two labourers were charged in the Magistrates’ Court in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, today with murdering a 20‑year‑old intellectually disabled man at a house in Kampung Binjai, Banggu last month.

According to Kosmo! Online, the accused, Muhammad Hakim Zikrullah Mohd Zamran, 25, and Mohamed Eerman Daniel Mohamed Afrizal, 27, nodded in understanding after the charges were read before Magistrate Rais Imran Hamid.

No plea was recorded as murder cases fall under the jurisdiction of the High Court.

According to the charge, the two men allegedly murdered Muhammad Zakir Fikry Mohd Zainal at a house in Kampung Binjai, Banggu at about 11pm on April 13.

The charge was framed under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

Deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Syamsul Ikhmal Ramli conducted the prosecution, while both accused were unrepresented. The court fixed July 6 for mention.

Separately, Muhammad Hakim and Mohamed Eerman, together with two other labourers — Mohamad Areef Mohd Zuki, 25, and Mohamad Aiman Shah Mohd Azizi, 26 — pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court in Kota Bharu today to charges of disposing of evidence and concealing proof by dumping the victim’s body.

The four were accused of knowing about the murder involving Muhammad Zakir Fikry and dumping his body by the roadside to prevent Muhammad Hakim and Mohamed Eerman from facing legal consequences.

The alleged act took place in Kampung Chap Bekelam near Bachok at about 3.30am on April 14.

They were charged under Section 201 of the Penal Code. Deputy public prosecutor Nur Kamilah Che Ibrahim handled the case. None of the accused were represented.

The court denied bail and set June 25 for mention.

Earlier reports said that long-standing resentment was believed to be the motive for the attack on Muhammad Zakir Fikry who was allegedly beaten before being left at Ladang Merdeka Cherbu, Padang Lati near Bachok on April 14.

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Police: Smuggling syndicates now using waterways, coastal areas after border clampdown
    KOTA BHARU, May 18 — Stricter security controls and the closure of illegal bases along the Sungai Golok border have prompted smuggling syndicates to change their modus operandi, shifting to waterways and coastal areas to continue their activities.Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said the latest tactic was detected after groups of smugglers and illegal immigrants were found entering the state via small rivers in Tumpat, which are directly connected to
     

Police: Smuggling syndicates now using waterways, coastal areas after border clampdown

18 May 2026 at 03:20

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 18 — Stricter security controls and the closure of illegal bases along the Sungai Golok border have prompted smuggling syndicates to change their modus operandi, shifting to waterways and coastal areas to continue their activities.

Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said the latest tactic was detected after groups of smugglers and illegal immigrants were found entering the state via small rivers in Tumpat, which are directly connected to Sungai Kelantan.

Speaking at a press conference after the Kelantan Contingent Monthly Assembly here today, he said that, in addition to border districts such as Tumpat, Pasir Mas, Tanah Merah and Jeli, the syndicate had also been using sea routes from Kuala Besar via Pengkalan Chepa to Tok Bali as a new transit route.

Following the threat, Mohd Yusoff said all district police headquarters (IPD), including those in districts that do not directly border neighbouring areas such as Bachok and Pasir Puteh, had been directed to step up intelligence operations.

“Cross-border crime in Kelantan is now being given serious attention by the government to prevent leakage, especially involving fuel, which is feared to be smuggled to neighbouring countries.

“All IPDs must strengthen their intelligence capabilities. Regardless of whether it is the Special Branch or other units, each must play a role, as weak intelligence will result in fewer arrests,” he said.

Mohd Yusoff also issued a stern warning to any officers and police personnel against conspiring with or becoming lackeys of cross-border smuggling syndicates.

He stressed that there would be no compromise for any officers and police personnel found to be involved in corruption, leaking information or any misconduct that could affect the integrity, credibility and public trust in the force.

Commenting on the operational achievements of Kelantan police, including the General Operations Force (GOF), Mohd Yusoff said a total of 375 cases involving contraband were recorded, with seizures valued at RM10.18 million and 212 arrests made between January and April this year.

“During the same period, 135 cases involving the misappropriation of subsidised goods were recorded, involving seizures worth RM215,725 and 70 arrests.

“The police also arrested 102 immigrants from various countries, as well as 47 individuals who acted as transporters in cross-border activities,” he said.

Meanwhile, to ensure smooth traffic flow and public safety remain under control throughout the holiday and festive season, Mohd Yusoff encouraged the public to make use of utilise the “Balik Kampung” feature in the Volunteer Smartphone Patrol application.

He said the move would assist police in carrying out patrols in houses left vacant during the period. — Bernama

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Couple claims trial to charge of abusing 10‑year‑old nephew in Kota Bharu
    KOTA BHARU, May 17 — A married couple pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here today to a charge of abusing their nephew last April.Wan Saiful Azuan Wan Idris, 31, and Yujas Nor Aida Jasmin Mohd Yusoff, 29, entered the plea after the charge was read out to them before Judge Zulkifli Abllah.The couple was jointly charged with abusing a 10-year-old boy in a manner likely to cause physical injury at a house in Kampung Sungai Mas, Machang, at about 10pm on April
     

Couple claims trial to charge of abusing 10‑year‑old nephew in Kota Bharu

17 May 2026 at 06:17

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 17 — A married couple pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here today to a charge of abusing their nephew last April.

Wan Saiful Azuan Wan Idris, 31, and Yujas Nor Aida Jasmin Mohd Yusoff, 29, entered the plea after the charge was read out to them before Judge Zulkifli Abllah.

The couple was jointly charged with abusing a 10-year-old boy in a manner likely to cause physical injury at a house in Kampung Sungai Mas, Machang, at about 10pm on April 19.

The charge, framed under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, carries a maximum fine of RM50,000, imprisonment of up to 20 years, or both, upon conviction.

The court allowed bail of RM8,000 for each accused with one surety and fixed June 15 for mention and document submission. — Bernama

* If you suspect child abuse, call the following hotlines for free and confidential support: Talian Kasih at 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999 (24/7); Talian BuddyBear at 1800-18-2327(BEAR) (noon-midnight daily); and One Crisis Centre (24/7) Wilayah Persekutuan at 03-26155555 (Kuala Lumpur General Hospital), 03-61454333 (Sungai Buloh Hospital) or 03-83124200 (Putrajaya Hospital). 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Kelantan police remand married couple as probe continues into Bachok murder of disabled man
    KOTA BHARU, May 16 — A married couple has been remanded for seven and five days respectively to assist in the investigation into the murder of a disabled man at Ladang Merdeka Cherbu, Padang Lati, Bachok, in April.The 26-year-old male suspect has been remanded for seven days until next Friday, while his 27-year-old wife has been remanded for five days until Wednesday.The remand order was issued by Magistrate Fakhrul Razzi Abd Hamid at the Magistrate’s Court here
     

Kelantan police remand married couple as probe continues into Bachok murder of disabled man

16 May 2026 at 04:00

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 16 — A married couple has been remanded for seven and five days respectively to assist in the investigation into the murder of a disabled man at Ladang Merdeka Cherbu, Padang Lati, Bachok, in April.

The 26-year-old male suspect has been remanded for seven days until next Friday, while his 27-year-old wife has been remanded for five days until Wednesday.

The remand order was issued by Magistrate Fakhrul Razzi Abd Hamid at the Magistrate’s Court here to facilitate investigations under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

The couple arrived at the court at 8.45 am wearing lock-up attire, handcuffed and escorted by police personnel.

Yesterday, the same court allowed an application to extend the remand of two other men, both 25, for six days until Wednesday to assist in the same case.

In the April 15 incident, the victim, Muhammad Zakir Fikry Mohd Zainal, 20, who had a learning disability, was believed to have died after being assaulted.

The victim, who sustained severe head injuries, was reported to have died at 12.55 am while receiving treatment at the Universiti Sains Malaysia Specialist Hospital in Kubang Kerian. — Bernama

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Gua Musang Form One student dies after collapsing at hostel
     KOTA BHARU, May 13 — A male Form One student died after reportedly being found unconscious at the hostel of Sekolah Menengah Paloh in Gua Musang yesterday.Gua Musang police chief Supt Sik Choon Foo said police received a report regarding the incident from the victim’s father at 8.53 am yesterday.He said the school had taken the 13-year-old boy to Chiku 03 Health Clinic.“However, medical officers at the clinic confirmed that the victim had died.“Following that, a
     

Gua Musang Form One student dies after collapsing at hostel

13 May 2026 at 06:23

Malay Mail

 

KOTA BHARU, May 13 — A male Form One student died after reportedly being found unconscious at the hostel of Sekolah Menengah Paloh in Gua Musang yesterday.

Gua Musang police chief Supt Sik Choon Foo said police received a report regarding the incident from the victim’s father at 8.53 am yesterday.

He said the school had taken the 13-year-old boy to Chiku 03 Health Clinic.

“However, medical officers at the clinic confirmed that the victim had died.

“Following that, a post-mortem examination was conducted at Gua Musang Hospital at 3.30 pm on the same day. Preliminary investigations found that the cause of death was due to spontaneous bleeding in the head and fluid in the lungs,” he said in a statement today.

Sik added that further police examination found no elements of crime in the incident.

He said the victim’s body had been handed over to family members for burial arrangements and the case had been classified as sudden death, with further investigations still ongoing.

In this regard, Sik advised the public not to make any speculation regarding the incident as it could affect the sensitivity of the victim’s family. — Bernama

 

 

❌
Subscriptions