Reading view

Kelantan murder cases up 100 pc in first four months of 2026; police blame religious decay

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 18 — Kelantan police have voiced concern over a sharp rise in murder cases, which increased by over 100 per cent between January and April this year compared with the same period last year.

State police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said five murder cases have been recorded to date, up from just one case last year.

“It is difficult for us to ascertain the exact cause, as not all murder cases are linked to drug influence. For instance, there are cases of fights that end in murder even though the suspects tested negative for drugs.

“This increase is very worrying. Based on observations, a lack of strong faith and religious belief is among the main factors that cause individuals to be easily influenced by anger, leading them to act violently and lose judgment,” he told a press conference after the Kelantan Police Contingent monthly assembly here today.

In this regard, he advised the public to be more attentive to the movements of family members and to always monitor their children’s social circles to prevent such crimes from recurring.

Meanwhile, Mohd Yusoff said the state police had successfully solved a murder case involving a 19-year-old disabled man in Kampung Chap Bekelam, Bachok, on April 14.

He said the victim was found unconscious by the roadside at 8.30 am before being taken to the Universiti Sains Malaysia Specialist Hospital here, where he was pronounced dead at 12.55 am on April 15.

“The post-mortem found that the victim died from head injuries caused by blunt force trauma.

“Following that, a special team from the Kelantan Criminal Investigation Department and the Bachok district police headquarters, carried out a series of raids around Kelantan and Selangor,” he said.

Mohd Yusoff said the raids led to the arrest of six men aged between 25 and 52, and a 28-year-old woman, to assist in investigations.

He said police also seized several items, including a car, three motorcycles and six mobile phones, with all suspects remanded from May 10 to May 22 to facilitate investigations under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

In a separate development, Mohd Yusoff said police are completing investigation papers against Pasir Puteh Member of Parliament Datuk Dr Nik Muhammad Zawawi Salleh over a controversial statement alleged to have offended religious sensitivities concerning the companions of the Prophet Muhammad.

He said police have so far received 63 reports from various locations nationwide regarding the issue.

“All complainants have been called to have their statements recorded, and the individual concerned (Nik Zawawi) has also been summoned to assist in the investigation.

“The case is being investigated under Section 298 of the Penal Code and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998,” he said. — Bernama

  •  

Police: Smuggling syndicates now using waterways, coastal areas after border clampdown

Malay Mail

KOTA BHARU, May 18 — Stricter security controls and the closure of illegal bases along the Sungai Golok border have prompted smuggling syndicates to change their modus operandi, shifting to waterways and coastal areas to continue their activities.

Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat said the latest tactic was detected after groups of smugglers and illegal immigrants were found entering the state via small rivers in Tumpat, which are directly connected to Sungai Kelantan.

Speaking at a press conference after the Kelantan Contingent Monthly Assembly here today, he said that, in addition to border districts such as Tumpat, Pasir Mas, Tanah Merah and Jeli, the syndicate had also been using sea routes from Kuala Besar via Pengkalan Chepa to Tok Bali as a new transit route.

Following the threat, Mohd Yusoff said all district police headquarters (IPD), including those in districts that do not directly border neighbouring areas such as Bachok and Pasir Puteh, had been directed to step up intelligence operations.

“Cross-border crime in Kelantan is now being given serious attention by the government to prevent leakage, especially involving fuel, which is feared to be smuggled to neighbouring countries.

“All IPDs must strengthen their intelligence capabilities. Regardless of whether it is the Special Branch or other units, each must play a role, as weak intelligence will result in fewer arrests,” he said.

Mohd Yusoff also issued a stern warning to any officers and police personnel against conspiring with or becoming lackeys of cross-border smuggling syndicates.

He stressed that there would be no compromise for any officers and police personnel found to be involved in corruption, leaking information or any misconduct that could affect the integrity, credibility and public trust in the force.

Commenting on the operational achievements of Kelantan police, including the General Operations Force (GOF), Mohd Yusoff said a total of 375 cases involving contraband were recorded, with seizures valued at RM10.18 million and 212 arrests made between January and April this year.

“During the same period, 135 cases involving the misappropriation of subsidised goods were recorded, involving seizures worth RM215,725 and 70 arrests.

“The police also arrested 102 immigrants from various countries, as well as 47 individuals who acted as transporters in cross-border activities,” he said.

Meanwhile, to ensure smooth traffic flow and public safety remain under control throughout the holiday and festive season, Mohd Yusoff encouraged the public to make use of utilise the “Balik Kampung” feature in the Volunteer Smartphone Patrol application.

He said the move would assist police in carrying out patrols in houses left vacant during the period. — Bernama

 

  •  
❌