Reading view

US indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro as it seeks to oust regime

Charges filed in Miami against 94-year-old for allegedly shooting down exiles’ planes in 1996

The United States issued a federal criminal indictment against Raúl Castro, Cuba’s former president, and five others on Wednesday in a significant escalation of the Trump administration’s campaign to oust the country’s six-decades-old communist regime.

The 94-year-old political figurehead was charged in Miami, Florida, with conspiracy to kill US nationals, four counts of murder and two counts of destruction of aircraft.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Ismael Francisco/AP

© Photograph: Ismael Francisco/AP

© Photograph: Ismael Francisco/AP

  •  

US authorities indict Raul Castro, longtime Cuban leader

United States federal prosecutors announced today that they had indicted Raúl Castro, the former President of Cuba and brother of Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro, over the downing of two civilian planes in 1996. 

The U.S. Justice Department has accused Castro, who was defense minister at the time of the incident, of ordering the Cuban Air Force to shoot down the planes.

The move ramps up pressure on the island, which Washington has subjected to a near-total oil blockade since January, and raises concerns that the U.S. is preparing an operation similar to the one that removed Nicolás Maduro from Venezuela earlier this year. 

Today’s charges relate to the killing of four members of the Miami-based Cuban dissident group Hermanos Al Rescate (Brothers to the Rescue), who were operating the planes when they were shot down on February 24, 1996. Three were American citizens and one was a U.S. resident. 

According to acting U.S. Attorney-General Todd Blance, Castro has been formally charged with conspiring to kill U.S. nationals. 

The issue of whether or not the planes were shot down in Cuban or international airspace is still a matter of debate. 

Florida’s Attorney-General had announced in March that a state investigation into Raúl Castro’s involvement would be reopened, a move which was endorsed by many Republican politicians, including Florida Senator Rick Scott. 

Tensions between the U.S. and Cuba have been rising precipitously, as the North American superpower has enforced a near-total oil blockade on the island, ratcheted up punitive sanctions targeting Cuban officials and demanded in ongoing negotiations between the two countries that the current Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel step down. 

Some have likened the charges brought against Castro to those directed at former Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro before his capture earlier this year. Maduro was charged with drug trafficking in the U.S. in 2020, an accusation which served as justification for his forced removal from power by the U.S. military. 

It remains to be seen whether the charges against Castro will result in a similar U.S. operation in Cuba. 

Featured Image: Raúl Castro in 2016.  

Image Credit: Presidencia de El Salvador via Wikimedia Commons

License: Creative Commons Licenses

The post US authorities indict Raul Castro, longtime Cuban leader appeared first on Latin America Reports.

  •  

WATCH: 'Day of justice is finally arriving' for Castro family, GOP House members say

Three people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press on Friday that the Justice Department is preparing to seek the indictment against the former Cuban president, connected to his alleged role in the 1996 shootdown of two planes operated by the Miami-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue.

  •  

NFL cooperating with Florida AG after subpoena, Goodell says

The NFL is complying with an investigation by Attorney General James Uthmeier (R) over whether the league violated its "Rooney Rule" on head coach hirings. “I think we have been very clear about our programs, and we obviously evaluate them all the time, not just for how they get better, but also to make sure that...

  •  

Generational rejection of AI? Why are university students booing big tech at graduation ceremonies?

“The rise of AI is the next industrial revolution,” Gloria Caulfield, a real estate executive, told recent graduates of arts, humanities, and communication at the University of Central Florida. The response? A chorus of boos. Caulfield turned to the organizers: “What happened?” she asked. She looked back at the young people in the audience: “Ok, I’ve struck a chord, may I finish?” And she continued: “Only a few years ago, AI wasn’t a factor in our lives,” she added. And then they applauded, and Caulfield smiled with relief. The video of her bewilderment went viral.

Seguir leyendo

© SHAHAR AZRAN

Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt.
  •  

NextEra to buy Dominion in $67bn deal creating US utility giant

Deal would create largest regulated US utility, serving 10 million customers as AI-driven demand for power surges

NextEra, a US energy giant, announced on Monday that it will buy Dominion Energy in a $67bn deal, creating what the companies say will be the world’s largest regulated utility business.

The deal comes as the appetite for energy sources has swelled with the construction of massive datacenters across the country, built largely to supply rising demand for AI.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Artie Walker Jr./AP

© Photograph: Artie Walker Jr./AP

© Photograph: Artie Walker Jr./AP

  •  
❌