Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Penang 75pc ready for snap polls, says Chow Kon Yeow Opalyn Mok
    GEORGE TOWN, May 19 — Penang is about 75 per cent ready to face snap polls, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.He said there is no fixed point at which a state can be considered fully ready for elections, whether at 80 or 100 per cent.““If you ask me, I always give the answer 75 per cent, not completely prepared, but educated prepared if there is a possibility,” he said when he was asked whether the state is ready to face snap polls.“When parliament is diss
     

Penang 75pc ready for snap polls, says Chow Kon Yeow

19 May 2026 at 06:26

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 19 — Penang is about 75 per cent ready to face snap polls, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.

He said there is no fixed point at which a state can be considered fully ready for elections, whether at 80 or 100 per cent.

““If you ask me, I always give the answer 75 per cent, not completely prepared, but educated prepared if there is a possibility,” he said when he was asked whether the state is ready to face snap polls.

“When parliament is dissolved, it’s a sign to be ready,” he added.

As for whether Pakatan Harapan Penang will continue to collaborate with Barisan Nasional in the elections, he said it is still open for them to decide later.

Chow, who is Penang PH chairman, said some states plan to go solo while some states viewed the cooperation under the Unity coalition as still relevant.

“Ultimately, the decision comes from the leadership at the national level,” he said.

He said all states will have to align themselves with the national leadership’s decision.

Earlier, Chow announced that the state has completed 60 per cent or 30 items under the MyPenang Manifesto.

He said 17 items or 34 per cent are being implemented while only three items or six per cent are yet to be implemented.

He said the manifesto achievement announcement coincided with the recent statement by the Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim that snap polls can be called anytime.

“We normally give updates on the manifesto achievements so regardless of when elections are held, work to complete the manifesto continues,” he said.

He said if elections are called, possibly some of the manifesto items may not be completed in time.

He said the public can access the MyPenang Manifesto dashboard online to check on the progress of the projects being implemented.

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Semiconductor industry in Malaysia remains stable despite conflict in Middle East Opalyn Mok
    GEORGE TOWN, May 18 — The semiconductor industry in the country, including in Penang, remains stable despite the prolonged conflict in Middle East, said Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah AzizanHe said the conflict, which has entered its third month, has indeed posed challenges, especially rising global oil prices and the supply of several critical materials for the semiconductor industry.He said there are several important raw materials in the semiconduc
     

Semiconductor industry in Malaysia remains stable despite conflict in Middle East

18 May 2026 at 08:06

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 18 — The semiconductor industry in the country, including in Penang, remains stable despite the prolonged conflict in Middle East, said Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan

He said the conflict, which has entered its third month, has indeed posed challenges, especially rising global oil prices and the supply of several critical materials for the semiconductor industry.

He said there are several important raw materials in the semiconductor industry that had previously faced supply pressures following instability in the Middle East.

“Global industry players have now begun adjusting their respective supply chains by seeking alternative sources to reduce dependence on conflict-hit regions,” he said in a press conference after visiting Intel’s Pelican project in Bayan Lepas here.

“There are several items in the semiconductor sector that are indeed difficult to obtain when the Middle East region is unstable,” he added.

However, he said the local supply chains have sought new sources to replace existing supplies.

Amir Hamzah said that, so far, the supply situation remains under control although supplies are limited.

He said the demand for semiconductors, particularly those related to artificial intelligence (AI) technology, has also remained high.

He said major manufacturers, including key fabrication plants, possess stronger supply chain ecosystems and are able to adjust their operations quickly.

“If they are major manufacturers, their supply chain ecosystems are indeed strong and they can make adjustments,” he said.

He said even smaller companies that may face some difficulties because they are not used to dealing with new suppliers will be able to manage.

He said Brent crude oil prices have now risen to as high as US$111 per barrel compared with around US$65 to US$70 before the conflict erupted.

He said the situation has directly increased operating costs across various sectors, including global manufacturing and logistics.

“What is more important than the Middle East issue is the supply aspect because about 20 per cent of the world’s oil supply comes out of that region so the main issue is ensuring there is sufficient supply for countries that need it,” he said.

He added that Malaysia remains in a controlled situation due to domestic oil production as well as supply guarantees by major petroleum companies, including Petronas.

“In Malaysia, we are fortunate because we have our own oil production as well as operators such as Petronas and other oil companies that help ensure supply stability,” he said.

“So we are not seeing situations such as oil shortages or industries failing to obtain supplies happening in this country,” he added.

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Malaysia expects positive GDP growth, backed by investment inflow Opalyn Mok
    GEORGE TOWN, May 18 — Malaysia is expecting a positive Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth as investments inflow into the country remain strong.Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan said the first quarter of this year, the country’s GDP remained strong at 5.4 per cent.“We can see that foreign direct investment (FDI) coming into has started contributing to GDP growth,” he said in a press conference after visiting Intel’s Pelican project in Bayan Lepas.
     

Malaysia expects positive GDP growth, backed by investment inflow

18 May 2026 at 07:43

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 18 — Malaysia is expecting a positive Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth as investments inflow into the country remain strong.

Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan said the first quarter of this year, the country’s GDP remained strong at 5.4 per cent.

“We can see that foreign direct investment (FDI) coming into has started contributing to GDP growth,” he said in a press conference after visiting Intel’s Pelican project in Bayan Lepas.

“Domestic direct investment (DDI) within the country also remains strong, while public spending is still robust,” he added.

He said the government has been working hard to ensure that the engines driving the economy continue to operate smoothly which is why the country continues to attract investors.

“But importantly, we also want to pave the way for domestic investors, especially GLICs and GLCs, to invest in the country because they can already see the many opportunities available and are coming together to further enhance the opportunities in Malaysia,” he said, referring to government-linked investment companies and government-linked companies.

He attributed investors’ confidence in Malaysia is due to the existing strong ecosystem, especially here in the northern region.

“As I mentioned earlier, the government’s focus is on how to further strengthen the ecosystem, attract investors, generate new jobs, and ensure that those coming in can help Malaysia continue to grow in the future,” he said.

Amir Hamzah said the government itaised wages in the county and GLCs are also moving from minimum wage towards a living wage.

“This creates more room for higher public spending within the economy,” he said.

He said even the AI industry and data centre drive are still very strong in the county.

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Fiery crash involving trailer, van and car at Udini underpass leaves Penang traffic at standstill
    GEORGE TOWN, May 15 — Three vehicles caught fire following a five-vehicle crash at the Udini Underpass on Jalan Masjid Negeri here today, causing severe traffic congestion.The incident involved a trailer lorry believed to be carrying concrete poles, a passenger van and a Proton S70 car, all of which caught fire, and two other vehicles – a Perodua Alza and a Chery Tiggo.Penang Fire and Rescue Department assistant director of operations John Sagun Francis said ther
     

Fiery crash involving trailer, van and car at Udini underpass leaves Penang traffic at standstill

15 May 2026 at 06:28

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 15 — Three vehicles caught fire following a five-vehicle crash at the Udini Underpass on Jalan Masjid Negeri here today, causing severe traffic congestion.

The incident involved a trailer lorry believed to be carrying concrete poles, a passenger van and a Proton S70 car, all of which caught fire, and two other vehicles – a Perodua Alza and a Chery Tiggo.

Penang Fire and Rescue Department assistant director of operations John Sagun Francis said there were no reports of casualties.

He said the department received an emergency call at 7.04 am and dispatched a team from the Jalan Perak Fire and Rescue Station to the scene.

“Upon arrival, we found that the accident involved five vehicles, three of which were on fire. Firefighters managed to bring the blaze under control at 7.33 am, and no casualties were reported as all those involved managed to escape in time,” he said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the Penang Island City Council said in a traffic update posted on Facebook that traffic wardens had been deployed to the scene to manage and ease traffic flow in the area.

“The public is advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area until the situation is safe and under control,” it said.

The incident caused severe congestion in several areas, including Green Lane, Jalan Masjid Negeri and Jalan Batu Lanchang, as the roads are major routes and the accident occurred during peak hours when people were commuting to work. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Rat droppings found at Penang school canteen, 14-day closure order issued
    GEORGE TOWN, May 15 — The canteen of a school here has been ordered to close after a health inspection found rat droppings on the premises.Penang Education director Mohd Dziauddin Mat Saad said the closure order took immediate effect for fourteen days from noon yesterday until May 27.“Investigations and monitoring at the canteen found rat droppings on the floor behind an unused refrigerator, and a closure order for unsanitary food premises under Section 11 of the
     

Rat droppings found at Penang school canteen, 14-day closure order issued

15 May 2026 at 02:26

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 15 — The canteen of a school here has been ordered to close after a health inspection found rat droppings on the premises.

Penang Education director Mohd Dziauddin Mat Saad said the closure order took immediate effect for fourteen days from noon yesterday until May 27.

“Investigations and monitoring at the canteen found rat droppings on the floor behind an unused refrigerator, and a closure order for unsanitary food premises under Section 11 of the Food Act 1983 was issued,” he told Bernama when contacted today.

He said that, so far, no cases of food poisoning involving pupils or teachers have been reported at the school.

He added that the school has arranged for food to be supplied to pupils by a vendor throughout the closure period. — Bernama

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Pressed by Guan Eng on Penang polls, Kon Yeow grabs Hokkien reprieve from PAS rep Opalyn Mok
    GEORGE TOWN, May 14 — The decision on whether Penang will hold its state poll concurrently with the next general election hinges on two key factors: the state constitution and the final say of the ruling party’s leadership, Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said today.In response to a question from Lim Guan Eng (PH - Air Putih) at the state legislative assembly, Chow explained that he could not make a unilateral decision.“We need to look at this from two angles: one w
     

Pressed by Guan Eng on Penang polls, Kon Yeow grabs Hokkien reprieve from PAS rep

14 May 2026 at 10:30

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 14 — The decision on whether Penang will hold its state poll concurrently with the next general election hinges on two key factors: the state constitution and the final say of the ruling party’s leadership, Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said today.

In response to a question from Lim Guan Eng (PH - Air Putih) at the state legislative assembly, Chow explained that he could not make a unilateral decision.

“We need to look at this from two angles: one will be based on the constitution, and another will be based on the political party’s stand,” Chow said.

“For the first angle, I will seek the advice of the state legal advisor. For the second, I will need to get advice from the party’s national leadership.”

Lim acknowledged the need for constitutional backing but pointed out that the ultimate authority still rests with the chief minister.

He also reminded the assembly of the party's official position, as stated by DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke Siew Fook.

“The secretary-general has already announced that state and general elections should be held concurrently, based on the order by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong,” Lim said.

The exchange took a light-hearted turn when Opposition assemblyman Bukhori Ghazali (PAS - Pinang Tunggal) interjected by saying in Hokkien, “kong kang kor, bo kong pun kang kor (It’s a problem if you say it and a problem if you don’t)”, which drew laughter from other lawmakers.

Chow corrected the phrase and translated it to Malay for the assembly.

“The phrase to use is ‘cho kang kor, bo cho pun kang kor,’ which translates to ‘buat susah, tak buat lagi susah’ (damned if you, damned if you don’t),” Chow explained, neatly summarising his predicament.

He concluded by reaffirming his position, stating, “I must accept any decision made by the party leadership on this.”

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Malaysia’s 1967 Thomas Cup-winning captain Teh Kew San dies at 91 Malay Mail
    GEORGE TOWN, May 14 — Badminton great Datuk Teh Kew San, who captained the nation to its historic 1967 Thomas Cup triumph, died here today at the age of 91.He leaves behind his wife Ng Mei Ling, herself a former international shuttler, as well as son Thomas Teh and daughter Karen Teh.In an immediate statement, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) said it was deeply saddened by Teh’s death, describing him as a national icon whose achievements brought immens
     

Malaysia’s 1967 Thomas Cup-winning captain Teh Kew San dies at 91

14 May 2026 at 08:01

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, May 14 — Badminton great Datuk Teh Kew San, who captained the nation to its historic 1967 Thomas Cup triumph, died here today at the age of 91.

He leaves behind his wife Ng Mei Ling, herself a former international shuttler, as well as son Thomas Teh and daughter Karen Teh.

In an immediate statement, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) said it was deeply saddened by Teh’s death, describing him as a national icon whose achievements brought immense pride to the country.

“A versatile and distinguished player, Datuk Teh Kew San brought immense pride to the nation through his achievements on the international stage, including winning the All England men’s doubles title in 1959, the Asian Championships men’s singles gold medal in 1962, men’s team gold medals in 1962 and 1965, as well as the mixed doubles gold medal at the 1962 Asian Games. 

“He also played a key role in helping Malaysia capture the Thomas Cup in 1967.

“His contributions and legacy will forever remain an important part of Malaysian badminton history,” the BAM said.

Teh’s Thomas Cup legacy ran deep personally, having competed in four consecutive campaigns from 1958 to 1967.

He famously named his son Thomas in honour of the tournament.

 

Penang Opposition leader hospitalised after blood pressure spike during state assembly sitting

14 May 2026 at 06:15

Malay Mail

 

GEORGE TOWN, May 14 — Penang Opposition leader Muhammad Fauzi Yusoff was taken to the hospital in the middle of the state legislative assembly sitting today after experiencing a spike in blood pressure.

The Sungai Dua assemblyman was experiencing some discomfort during the lunch break of the state legislative assembly sitting today.

“As he was resting during the break, he felt discomfort, so he went to the medical officer on duty to check,” PAS Pinang Tunggal assemblyman Bukhori Ghazali told reporters here.

He said Muhammad Fauzi’s blood pressure was found to be higher than normal, and he was sent to Penang Hospital for further checks and observation.

He said Muhammad Fauzi did not faint or have any severe symptoms, but, according to SOP, he had to be sent to hospital for his safety.

“I talked to him and he said he plans to come back if he’s given the all clear by the doctor at the hospital,” he added.

He said Muhammad Fauzi has an existing hypertension condition and would need medical checks if there is a spike in blood pressure.

“He told me he did not want to be admitted as he wanted to come back to listen to the winding-up speech by the chief minister,” he added.

He said it is still unclear whether Muhammad Fauzi will be admitted or allowed to return to the state legislative assembly after the lunch break.

“It will depend on what the doctor says after observation of his condition,” he said.

 

❌
Subscriptions