Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Jho Low still under probe despite Trump pardon bid claims, says IGP
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Police are continuing investigations into fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, said Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail.He said the case remained under police attention and action despite reports claiming that Jho Low was seeking a pardon from United States President Donald Trump.“This issue is still at the stage of ongoing investigations. I view matters like this as rather sensitive to discuss,”
     

Jho Low still under probe despite Trump pardon bid claims, says IGP

13 May 2026 at 10:24

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Police are continuing investigations into fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, said Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail.

He said the case remained under police attention and action despite reports claiming that Jho Low was seeking a pardon from United States President Donald Trump.

“This issue is still at the stage of ongoing investigations. I view matters like this as rather sensitive to discuss,” he told reporters after the closing ceremony of the PDRM Special Dialogue V 2026 here today.

Mohd Khalid said the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) was also maintaining good relations with the relevant countries in efforts to continue investigations into the case.

“We are still pursuing action as before and maintaining good relations with the countries concerned. The matter remains under our attention and action,” he said.

International media reported that Low, who was accused by the US of masterminding one of the biggest financial frauds in history, had reportedly filed a pardon request with Trump several weeks ago.

According to the report, if the application was approved, it would drop the US criminal charges against Low.

The report also stated that the US Department of Justice website listed a pending application for a “Pardon after Completion of Sentence” under the name “Taek Jho Low”, filed this year.

Low was charged in 2018 over the misappropriation of about US$4.5 billion (RM17.7 billion) in funds from 1Malaysia Development Berhad, but remains at large and wanted by authorities. — Bernama 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Fahmi: Cabinet yet to discuss Jho Low’s US pardon bid, maybe next week R. Loheswar
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — The Cabinet today did not discuss reports that fugitive Malaysian Low Taek Jho has sought a pardon from the United States President Donald Trump, Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil said.Speaking in a post-Cabinet briefing, Fahmi said the matter did not come up during today’s meeting but could be raised next week.“This issue did not arise during today’s Cabinet meeting and was not discussed today,” he replied to reporters when asked if the
     

Fahmi: Cabinet yet to discuss Jho Low’s US pardon bid, maybe next week

13 May 2026 at 07:57

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — The Cabinet today did not discuss reports that fugitive Malaysian Low Taek Jho has sought a pardon from the United States President Donald Trump, Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil said.

Speaking in a post-Cabinet briefing, Fahmi said the matter did not come up during today’s meeting but could be raised next week.

“This issue did not arise during today’s Cabinet meeting and was not discussed today,” he replied to reporters when asked if the government had been formally notified by US authorities regarding any pardon request and if it would object to such a move.

The wanted businessman better known as Jho Low was reported by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) to have filed for a pardon from Trump ‌weeks ago, citing ⁠people familiar ⁠with the ⁠matter.

If ⁠granted, the US ⁠would purportedly remove criminal charges against Low.

A Justice ⁠Department website lists a pending request for a “Pardon after Completion of Sentence” under the name “Taek Jho ⁠Low” that was filed this year.

A ⁠White House official said Low’s ⁠request ⁠was not currently on the White House’s radar, ‌WSJ reported.

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • 1MDB task force chief says Jho Low should not be pardoned amid reported US clemency bid
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Fugitive Malaysian financier Low Taek ‌Jho, a central figure in the multibillion-dollar scandal at state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), should not be pardoned, the chairman of the 1MDB taskforce said today, after a report said Low ‌was seeking clemency from US President Donald Trump.Low, widely known as Jho Low, faces multiple charges, including corruption and money laundering in the United States and Malaysia, for the key role h
     

1MDB task force chief says Jho Low should not be pardoned amid reported US clemency bid

13 May 2026 at 04:44

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 13 — Fugitive Malaysian financier Low Taek ‌Jho, a central figure in the multibillion-dollar scandal at state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), should not be pardoned, the chairman of the 1MDB taskforce said today, after a report said Low ‌was seeking clemency from US President Donald Trump.

Low, widely known as Jho Low, faces multiple charges, including corruption and money laundering in the United States and Malaysia, for the key role he allegedly played in the misappropriation of at least US$4.5 billion from 1MDB.

He has consistently denied wrongdoing, and his whereabouts are unknown.

Low recently filed a request for a pardon that, if granted, would remove US criminal charges against him, The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday, citing people familiar with the matter.

A White House official said Low’s request was not currently on the White House’s radar, the report said.

The ‌US Justice Department website lists a pending request for a “Pardon after Completion of ⁠Sentence” under Taek Jho Low that was filed ⁠this year.

Johari Abdul Ghani, the chairman of a Malaysian ⁠task force seeking to recover funds and ⁠assets linked to ⁠1MDB worldwide, said Low’s request should be denied and the United States should instead assist Malaysia in locating Low for further investigations.

“As far as I’m concerned, I’m against the ⁠pardon,” Johari, who is also trade minister, said in a text message when asked about the WSJ report.

Johari added he was unaware of any talks between Low and Malaysia to return assets.

The WSJ reported that Malaysia had temporarily lifted an Interpol red notice against Low that would make him subject to arrest almost anywhere in the world ⁠to facilitate the return of significant assets to the country.

In 2019, the United States struck a deal to recoup about US$1 billion from Low, with the ⁠fugitive agreeing to give up a private jet and high-end real estate in Beverly Hills, ⁠New York, and ⁠London, among other assets.

Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said in 2023 that the government was negotiating with other countries to speed up Low’s return, though he declined to name the nations involved.

Authorities ‌have previously said Low was believed to be in China, though Beijing has denied it. — Reuters 

 

❌
Subscriptions