Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • WHO chief raises alarm over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola outbreak
    GENEVA, May 19 — The World Health Organization chief said Tuesday he was “deeply concerned” by an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has spilt into Uganda, believed to have killed 131 people.WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Sunday declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) – the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations.“I did not do this lightly... I’m deeply concerned
     

WHO chief raises alarm over ‘scale and speed’ of Ebola outbreak

19 May 2026 at 08:24

Malay Mail

GENEVA, May 19 — The World Health Organization chief said Tuesday he was “deeply concerned” by an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has spilt into Uganda, believed to have killed 131 people.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Sunday declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) – the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations.

“I did not do this lightly... I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,” he told the World Health Assembly in Geneva.

He added that he would convene the agency’s emergency committee later Tuesday “to advise us on temporary recommendations”.

The DRC’s health minister said the suspected toll from the outbreak declared late last week had risen to 131 deaths and 513 cases.

Tedros said that so far, 30 cases had been confirmed to be Ebola in the DRC’s northeastern Ituri province.

“Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC,” he told the WHO’s annual meeting of its decision-taking body.

World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus delivers a speech at the opening of the 79th World Health Organization assembly in Geneva on May 18, 2026. — AFP pic
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus delivers a speech at the opening of the 79th World Health Organization assembly in Geneva on May 18, 2026. — AFP pic

In addition, he said, there was “one US citizen confirmed positive and transferred to Germany, as reported by the US”.

The total number of confirmed and suspected cases “will change as field operations are scaling up, including strengthening surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing”, Tedros stressed.

There were a number of reasons to worry, he said.

He pointed out that cases had been reported in urban areas, including Kampala, as well as the Congolese city of Goma, and also that there was “significant population movement in the area”.

“The province of Ituri is highly insecure,” he said, pointing out that intensifying conflict in recent months had seen more than 100,000 people newly displaced in the region.

He also said that deaths had been reported among health workers, “indicating healthcare-associated transmission”.

Tedros highlighted that the epidemic had been shown to be caused by the Bundibugyo strain, “a species of Ebola virus, for which there are no vaccines or therapeutics”. — AFP

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • The war on panic: Hantavirus scare tests post-Covid defences against disinformation and conspiracies
    LONDON, May 15 — A rodent-borne virus with a scary name. A mid-ocean cruise ship in quarantine. Several people dead and more falling ‌sick.It is no wonder that an outbreak of the Andes strain of hantavirus on a luxury liner in the Atlantic has revived some Covid-era ​trauma and panic online.That has presented a dilemma to health officials: how to communicate quickly and clearly about a virus which is not new and unlikely to cause a pandemic but where knowledge ga
     

The war on panic: Hantavirus scare tests post-Covid defences against disinformation and conspiracies

15 May 2026 at 06:29

Malay Mail

LONDON, May 15 — A rodent-borne virus with a scary name. A mid-ocean cruise ship in quarantine. Several people dead and more falling ‌sick.

It is no wonder that an outbreak of the Andes strain of hantavirus on a luxury liner in the Atlantic has revived some Covid-era ​trauma and panic online.

That has presented a dilemma to health officials: how to communicate quickly and clearly about a virus which is not new and unlikely to cause a pandemic but where knowledge gaps remain – without inadvertently fomenting fear.

“Hantavirus thread incoming,” posted the health department of Illinois state in the US earlier this week about a risk-free case unrelated to ‌the MV Hondius cruise ship outbreak.

“But you have to promise to read this whole thread before panic-texting your group chat. Deal?”

In interviews with Reuters, half a dozen health officials said they ​were trying to learn from mistakes around Covid, providing information on hantavirus with more empathy while addressing uncertainties and tackling falsehoods.

“We spend half of our time discussing how we will communicate,” said Gianfranco Spiteri, emergencies lead at the EU’s European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. During Covid, many governments were slow to react or in denial, public messaging was sometimes confusing and contradictory, restrictions and vaccine rollouts were applied differently round the world, and misinformation and politicization proliferated.

That helped fuel modern mistrust of institutions.

For example, faith ​in public health institutions declined in 20 of 27 EU countries between 2020 and 2022, one study showed.

The cruise ship MV Hondius leaves the port of Granadilla de Abona in Tenerife, Spain on May 11, 2026. — Reuters pic
The cruise ship MV Hondius leaves the port of Granadilla de Abona in Tenerife, Spain on May 11, 2026. — Reuters pic

Juggling the communications

Spiteri and others at the forefront of the hantavirus response spoke about the need to balance explanations of why it is a serious global health event with reassurances that risks to the public are low and honesty over the open questions about a virus that has rarely spread among humans before.

“There are people who say we are overdoing it, and on the other extreme, that we’re not doing enough,” he said. “We always base our messages on the evidence we have.”

From a look at social media, their efforts are still a work in progress, with many people needlessly fretting about a return to lockdowns, social distancing and masks.

“We have kind of lost perspective,” said Gustavo Palacios, a professor at Icahn School ‌of Medicine at Mount Sinai in the US who is originally from Argentina and a hantavirus expert.

An outbreak can be a major public health event deserving attention and action but without becoming a pandemic, he ⁠noted.

Some posts online falsely present hantavirus as a bigger existential threat than Covid, or promote protections like the ivermectin ⁠anti-parasite drug, vitamin D and zinc without scientific evidence. False conspiracy theories are popping up too – that it is a side effect of the Pfizer ⁠vaccine or a hoax to boost pharmaceutical profits.

Sander van der Linden, ⁠a psychology professor at England’s University of Cambridge and ⁠misinformation expert, said the public needed more support in how to interpret information, including potentially showing them conspiracy theories they may face in the event of an outbreak.

“We need to do more preparatory work to create resilience in the population,” he said.

As of Thursday, there had been three deaths from 11 reported hantavirus cases in the outbreak, all people who had been on board the Hondius. Dozens of other passengers are being monitored as they return to around ⁠20 countries.

Unlike Covid, there are established measures to control hantavirus’ spread, officials said. The strain has circulated in parts of Argentina and Chile for decades and the ship samples show no meaningful variation from that virus.

“I’m definitely seeing improvements,” said Gabby Stern, former head of communications at the World Health Organization until September last year, referring particularly to sharing what you know when you know it.

“It seems like the public health community has absorbed crucial lessons, although not all of them.”

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hold a joint press conference at Moncloa Palace in Madrid, Spain on May 12, 2026. — Reuters pic
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez and World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hold a joint press conference at Moncloa Palace in Madrid, Spain on May 12, 2026. — Reuters pic

‘Emotional reaction’ to cruise ship

The WHO was quick to reassure the public, holding regular press conferences, issuing alerts and tackling misinformation in social media Q&As since the outbreak was disclosed on May 3.

WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus even took the unusual step of an open letter to the people of Tenerife, where the Hondius docked on Sunday.

“But I need you to hear me clearly: this ⁠is not another Covid,” he wrote. “The current public health risk from hantavirus remains low. My colleagues and I have said this unequivocally, and I will say it again to you now.”

Some started more slowly: in the US, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention put out its first information on May 8, five days after the news broke, but has since increased the pace ⁠of communications.

“One of the things this is teaching us is a lesson we should have learned from Covid: What we say is really important,” said Michael Osterholm, an infectious diseases expert at the University of Minnesota.

The cruise ship ⁠hantavirus narrative has not helped, ⁠echoing the infamous outbreak on the Diamond Princess docked off Japan early in the Covid pandemic in 2020 where 14 people died and nearly a quarter of the 3,000 passengers and crew became infected.

“The whole cruise ship thing … is a very significant memory from the ​beginning of Covid,” said Krutika Kuppalli, associate professor of medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

“There’s an emotional reaction that is ​stirring people.”

The resemblance was not lost on Laura Millán, 40, in Tenerife, as passengers began to disembark ‌at the beginning of this week under strict infection-control measures.

Seeing WHO boss Tedros arrive on the island with Spanish officials to help oversee the ​hantavirus response took her back.

“It gave me the impression that this ​isn’t just the flu – otherwise all these people wouldn’t be coming,” she said at a playground, adding that overall she understood their involvement helped ensure the right measures. — Reuters

❌
Subscriptions