Normal view

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Belfast harbour operator to invest £1.3bn as NI economy grows Jasper Jolly
    Port has upgraded offshore wind facilities and is to expand quays, ferry terminals and cruise ship servicesThe operator of Belfast harbour plans to spend £1.3bn over the next 25 years to take advantage of strong economic growth in Northern Ireland, in what would be one of the largest non-governmental investments in the region’s history.The Belfast Harbour Commissioners said the money would be spent on upgrading the port, with the possibility of residential property developments that could add an
     

Belfast harbour operator to invest £1.3bn as NI economy grows

19 May 2026 at 04:00

Port has upgraded offshore wind facilities and is to expand quays, ferry terminals and cruise ship services

The operator of Belfast harbour plans to spend £1.3bn over the next 25 years to take advantage of strong economic growth in Northern Ireland, in what would be one of the largest non-governmental investments in the region’s history.

The Belfast Harbour Commissioners said the money would be spent on upgrading the port, with the possibility of residential property developments that could add another £750m in investment on top.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Belfast Harbour Commissioners

© Photograph: Belfast Harbour Commissioners

© Photograph: Belfast Harbour Commissioners

Iran says ships entering strait of Hormuz must cooperate after vessel seized

Docked ship reportedly seized outside UAE port by “unauthorised personnel”

The Iranian foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, has said ships entering the strait of Hormuz must cooperate with the Iranian navy as reports emerged of a ship being seized outside a United Arab Emirate port and taken towards Iranian waters.

The UK Maritime Trading Organisation said the docked ship was seized by “unauthorised personnel” while it was anchored off the coast of the United Arab Emirates port of Fujairah near the southern entry to the strait of Hormuz.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Reuters

© Photograph: Reuters

© Photograph: Reuters

Argentina in spotlight over hantavirus as authorities retrace footsteps of ship’s passengers

Thirty years after first person-to-person transmission was documented in Patagonia, scientists say global heating could increase world’s exposure

An outbreak in rural communities 30 years ago in the Patagonia area of Argentina led scientists, for the first time, to document person-to-person transmission of hantavirus, which until then had been known only to spread through contact with rodents.

Nearly a decade ago another outbreak, also in Patagonia, provided detailed evidence of inter-human transmission when an infected 68-year-old rural worker attended a birthday party in a small village. The infection spread and resulted in 11 deaths.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Horacio Soria/Reuters

© Photograph: Horacio Soria/Reuters

© Photograph: Horacio Soria/Reuters

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • At least 11 people sent to hospital after suspected boat explosion in Miami Uwa Ede-Osifo
    Florida wildlife commission investigating cause of incident that left passengers with burns and traumatic injuriesSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailA suspected boat explosion at a Miami sandbar sent at least 11 people to the hospital on Saturday with some suffering from burns and traumatic injuries, according to Juan Arias, the Miami Dade fire rescue battalion chief.First responders received reports roughly around 12.45pm of a possible boat explosion on the water, Arias told WPEC
     

At least 11 people sent to hospital after suspected boat explosion in Miami

9 May 2026 at 23:28

Florida wildlife commission investigating cause of incident that left passengers with burns and traumatic injuries

A suspected boat explosion at a Miami sandbar sent at least 11 people to the hospital on Saturday with some suffering from burns and traumatic injuries, according to Juan Arias, the Miami Dade fire rescue battalion chief.

First responders received reports roughly around 12.45pm of a possible boat explosion on the water, Arias told WPEC 12.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Joe Raedle/Getty Images

© Photograph: Joe Raedle/Getty Images

© Photograph: Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Three evacuated from hantavirus-hit ship as Spain says vessel can dock

6 May 2026 at 21:51

British guide Martin Anstee among those evacuated from MV Hondius, which is now heading for Canary Islands

Three people with suspected hantavirus have been medically evacuated from a cruise ship.

They include a British man who was an expedition guide onboard the ship, the MV Hondius. He was named on Wednesday evening as Martin Anstee, 56.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

British crew member in need of urgent medical care amid suspected hantavirus outbreak on cruise ship

WHO says seven confirmed or suspected cases of hantavirus on MV Hondius, including three passengers who died

A British crew member was in need of urgent medical care and a passenger from the UK remained in a critical but stable condition following a suspected outbreak of hantavirus on a luxury cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean.

Three people have died and medics on Monday were scrambling to evacuate two others from the MV Hondius, which set off in March from southern Argentina carrying 149 people from 23 countries. The crisis emerged late on Sunday after the World Health Organization (WHO) said it was investigating a suspected outbreak.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

© Photograph: AFP/Getty Images

❌
Subscriptions