Normal view

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Telekom Malaysia says cooperating with US DOJ over alleged misconduct by former TM USA employees
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Telekom Malaysia Bhd (TM) said it will continue to extend its full cooperation with the US Department of Justice (DOJ) concerning former employees of TM USA Inc. The telecommunications company said in a statement today that it had earlier initiated its own investigation pursuant to the suspicion of misconduct by the individuals, which led to their dismissal.“Information from the investigation was then shared with the relevant authorities. T
     

Telekom Malaysia says cooperating with US DOJ over alleged misconduct by former TM USA employees

20 May 2026 at 05:21

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Telekom Malaysia Bhd (TM) said it will continue to extend its full cooperation with the US Department of Justice (DOJ) concerning former employees of TM USA Inc. 

The telecommunications company said in a statement today that it had earlier initiated its own investigation pursuant to the suspicion of misconduct by the individuals, which led to their dismissal.

“Information from the investigation was then shared with the relevant authorities. The matter is currently under the purview of the DOJ and the US court,” it added.

TM said it upholds strict governance and compliance standards and does not tolerate any form of misconduct. — Bernama 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Viral videos trigger arrest of six in Selangor and Johor over suspected drug-laced vape sales
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Six men, including a supplier of vape products suspected to contain drugs, were arrested by the Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department (JSJN) following the circulation of social media videos showing individuals in a dazed state after excessive vaping.Bukit Aman JSJN director Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said the department viewed vape abuse seriously as it could become a medium for drug use and promote unhealthy lifestyles.He said JSJN did
     

Viral videos trigger arrest of six in Selangor and Johor over suspected drug-laced vape sales

20 May 2026 at 01:10

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 20 — Six men, including a supplier of vape products suspected to contain drugs, were arrested by the Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department (JSJN) following the circulation of social media videos showing individuals in a dazed state after excessive vaping.

Bukit Aman JSJN director Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said the department viewed vape abuse seriously as it could become a medium for drug use and promote unhealthy lifestyles.

He said JSJN did not rule out the possibility that certain vape products were mixed with harmful substances or synthetic drugs that could endanger users.

“Investigations into a viral video showing two men believed to be intoxicated after vaping substances suspected to contain drugs at an apartment in Selangor led to the arrest of three local men, including the two individuals in the video and a supplier of the vape products.

“Police also seized a bottle of vape liquid suspected to contain ketamine during the raid,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Hussein said JSJN also acted against another viral video showing two men vaping during a live broadcast on a social media platform in Johor Bahru.

“Three local men, including the two individuals in the video, were arrested. They admitted conducting the live broadcast to receive gifts from viewers,” he said.

He said JSJN had earlier conducted Ops Vape 1.0 nationwide from April 13 to 17 in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, the National Anti-Drugs Agency, local authorities, the Fire and Rescue Department, the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Cost of Living, and Tenaga Nasional Berhad.

The operation focused on inspecting vape-selling premises and tracking individuals involved in the distribution and sale of drug-laced vape products.

“A total of 1,670 vape-selling premises were raided, while five individuals, comprising two local men, a Chinese national and two local women, were arrested under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

“JSJN also seized 19.67 kilogrammes of vape liquid suspected to contain Furanyl Fentanyl and 186.54 kilogrammes of vape liquid without drug content, with total seizures valued at RM4.6 million,” he said.

Hussein said JSJN would continue intensifying intelligence gathering, monitoring and joint operations with relevant agencies to curb the distribution of vape products containing prohibited substances.

He also urged parents and the public to monitor their children’s behaviour and not underestimate the growing threat of vape abuse.

Those with information on drug-related activities can contact the JSJN Hotline at 012-208 7222. — Bernama 

  • ✇SoraNews24 Japan
  • Six towering historical warrior floats will grace Fukui’s Mikuni Festival for three days Krista Rogers
    This annual procession is the perfect stop for samurai buffs who enjoy traditional Japanese festivals with a warrior twist. The streets of Sakai, Fukui Prefecture, are about to be packed when the city’s Mikuni Festival kicks off on May 19 for three days. Considered one of the Hokuriku region of Japan’s “three great festivals,” the annual festival spans approximately 300 years of tradition. This year, six newly crafted floats over six meters (6.6 yards) in height that depict historical samurai
     

Six towering historical warrior floats will grace Fukui’s Mikuni Festival for three days

18 May 2026 at 17:30

This annual procession is the perfect stop for samurai buffs who enjoy traditional Japanese festivals with a warrior twist.

The streets of Sakai, Fukui Prefecture, are about to be packed when the city’s Mikuni Festival kicks off on May 19 for three days. Considered one of the Hokuriku region of Japan’s “three great festivals,” the annual festival spans approximately 300 years of tradition. This year, six newly crafted floats over six meters (6.6 yards) in height that depict historical samurai of legend as well as famous scenes from kabuki plays and historical battles will be paraded around different districts of the city.

▼ Kamakura Gongoro Kagemasa (born 1069), as depicted in the play “Shibaraku,” one of the 18 Best Kabuki Plays

▼ Keiji Maeda (1543-1612)

The new floats were first unveiled to the public on 9 May. Festivities will officially begin at 6:30 p.m. on 19 May when the Maeda Keiji float will be showcased in the vicinity of Mikuni Shrine by the harbor. Then, at 1 p.m. on 20 May, all six floats will join in a procession around the city beginning at Mikuni Shrine. On this day, a special mikoshi portable shrine will also leave from the shrine, along with a procession of locals donning warrior-inspired garb.

▼ Magistrate Kinshiro Toyama (1793-1855)

▼ Minamoto no Yoshitsune (1159-1189)

In addition, this year’s festival marks a first as the newly assembled Sakai City Board of Education’s Mikuni Festival General Investigative Committee, comprised of 11 expert individuals from the municipality, will begin conducting a multi-year, comprehensive study of the festival. Their investigation will examine everything from the craftsmanship of the floats and how they’re pulled around, to the various musical accompaniments in different districts of the city. It will also seek to answer overarching questions such as why the floats came to include figures of samurai in the first place and why those are destroyed upon the conclusion of the festival every year. As the first study of its kind to be funded by governmental aid, a formal written report is expected to be published in 2029.

▼ Taira no Tomomori (1152-1185) with the anchor he used to drown himself upon losing the Sea Battle of Dan no Ura (1185)

▼ The assault of Naganori Asano (1667-1701) on Yoshinaka Kira (1641-1703) in the Pine Corridor of Edo Castle, the trigger that led to the legend of the 47 Ronin (1703)

Another new feature of this year’s festival is the creation of a special seated viewing area in the Echizen Railway’s Mikuni Station plaza. Between 4:30-6:30 p.m. on 20 May, spectators can view all six floats in succession as they approach the station and circle the intersection. 40 seats are available for purchase for 5,000 yen ($31.55) each in advance or for 6,000 yen on the day of the event. The viewing area will be split into four levels, with the highest one at 1.8 meters for prime viewing. Seats can be reserved by contacting the Mikuni Community Center at mikuni-cc@city.fukui-sakai.lg.jp or (+81) 0776-82-6400.

While you’re in town, you may also want to see what Fukui has to offer in the gastronomic delights department, such as the sasazuke preserved fish that’s popular among the locals.

Source, images: PR Times
● Want to hear about SoraNews24’s latest articles as soon as they’re published? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Labuan Corp lodges police report over viral online casino allegation tied to Pulau Papan
    LABUAN, May 17 — Labuan Corporation (LC) has lodged a police report calling for a thorough investigation into a viral Facebook post that allegedly tarnished its image by linking it to a proposed casino development on Pulau Papan.LC chief executive officer Rithuan Ismail said the report was lodged at the Labuan police station on May 15 following the posting, which had used the photographs of him and LC deputy chairman Simsudin Sidek.He said the posting, uploaded b
     

Labuan Corp lodges police report over viral online casino allegation tied to Pulau Papan

17 May 2026 at 08:42

Malay Mail

LABUAN, May 17 — Labuan Corporation (LC) has lodged a police report calling for a thorough investigation into a viral Facebook post that allegedly tarnished its image by linking it to a proposed casino development on Pulau Papan.

LC chief executive officer Rithuan Ismail said the report was lodged at the Labuan police station on May 15 following the posting, which had used the photographs of him and LC deputy chairman Simsudin Sidek.

He said the posting, uploaded by a Facebook page known as Suara Labuan, allegedly claimed that LC was involved in a proposal to build a casino on Pulau Papan.

Rithuan firmly denied the allegation, stressing that the local authority has no intention or plan to turn the island into a gambling hub.

“LC has better plans for Pulau Papan as a tourism island, and it does not necessarily need a casino to attract visitors,” he told Bernama today.

He said the viral statement had created a misleading public perception and could tarnish LC’s credibility as the local authority responsible for the island’s development and tourism planning.

Rithuan said Pulau Papan, one of Labuan’s well-known island attractions, has strong potential in sustainable tourism, recreational activities, nature-based products, heritage elements and family-oriented attractions.

He said any proposal for tourism development on the island must be aligned with proper planning, public interest, environmental considerations and existing government policies.

“LC will continue to focus on responsible tourism development that benefits the people and strengthens Labuan’s position as a tourist destination,” he said.

Rithuan also reminded social media users to be responsible when publishing or sharing unverified claims, especially those involving public institutions and development matters.

He said LC would leave the matter to the police for further investigation. — Bernama

 

  • ✇Malay Mail - All
  • Babies safely returned after accidental mix-up at KL hospital ward
    KUALA LUMPUR, May 15 — An incident involving the accidental swapping of babies at a ward in Tunku Azizah Hospital (HTA) has been resolved, with the babies safely returned to their respective mothers.HTA director Dr Shamsul Anuar Kamarudin said immediate corrective action was taken once the incident was discovered.He said the hospital had provided the necessary explanation and support to the families involved, adding that preliminary checks found no breastfeeding
     

Babies safely returned after accidental mix-up at KL hospital ward

15 May 2026 at 02:24

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 15 — An incident involving the accidental swapping of babies at a ward in Tunku Azizah Hospital (HTA) has been resolved, with the babies safely returned to their respective mothers.

HTA director Dr Shamsul Anuar Kamarudin said immediate corrective action was taken once the incident was discovered.

He said the hospital had provided the necessary explanation and support to the families involved, adding that preliminary checks found no breastfeeding or medical procedures that compromised the babies’ safety during the incident.

“HTA understands the public concern after the incident was shared on social media.

“The hospital has taken immediate action in accordance with established procedures while ensuring the safety and welfare of the babies remained the top priority,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Dr Shamsul Anuar said an internal investigation was underway to determine the cause of the incident and improve existing procedures to prevent a recurrence.

He said the hospital would also strengthen its internal control measures to enhance public confidence in its services.

“HTA remains committed to ensuring patient safety is always prioritised and appreciates the cooperation and understanding of all parties,” he said. — Bernama

 

  • ✇The Guardian World news
  • Lead prosecutor on investigation into former CIA director no longer on case Sam Levine in New York City
    Maria Medetis Long had expressed doubts over case of John Brennan, whose agency said Russia boosted Trump in 2016Sign up for the Breaking News US email to get newsletter alerts in your inboxA federal prosecutor leading the investigation into former CIA director John Brennan is no longer working on the case after expressing reservations about it, according to a person familiar with the matter.The prosecutor, Maria Medetis Long, informed attorneys involved in the case she was no longer handling it
     

Lead prosecutor on investigation into former CIA director no longer on case

Maria Medetis Long had expressed doubts over case of John Brennan, whose agency said Russia boosted Trump in 2016

A federal prosecutor leading the investigation into former CIA director John Brennan is no longer working on the case after expressing reservations about it, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The prosecutor, Maria Medetis Long, informed attorneys involved in the case she was no longer handling it, according to CNN, which first reported she was leaving the case. Medetis Long is a career attorney serving as the chief of the national security division in the US attorney’s office for the southern district of Florida. The Department of Justice did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Joshua Roberts/Reuters

© Photograph: Joshua Roberts/Reuters

© Photograph: Joshua Roberts/Reuters

❌
Subscriptions